Page 1 of 1

Fixing mowing deck for Case 224.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:07 pm
by propane1
Some of you may remember last summer the deck on the 224 went kafooie. And I was looking for a deck. Which I never found. Nuthin here in PEI. So figured I’d try and fix it. Any way figured out a way to fix, may not be the best way , but that’s just me. The whole deck is rusted. And it will never be like new again. So some pictures of what I did. And it should work and cut fine enough for me. Be two and a half months yet till cutting time.
And what do yas think of my lifting thing to work on this deck. :giggle: :giggle: Next set of pictures for the lifting thing. Couldn’t get them all on this post.

Still have to weld it some more yet. Might patch a couple more holes too. Like I said. It will never be new again. And my fixes are by no means professional.

Noel :D

Re: Fixing mowing deck for Case 224.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:11 pm
by propane1
Few more pictures, if ya wanna look, after lookin at the first bunch. :giggle: :giggle:

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:35 pm
by Eugen
A little cleaning with wire brush and a coat of paint and it should last a life time. Nice fix Noel!

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:39 pm
by DavidBarkey
@propane1 Don't sell yourself short . Nothing wrong with that repair Noel .
:thumbsup:

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:57 pm
by Timj
I'm with Dave, that's a good fix Noel. :thumbsup: You needed to get out to get to good metal. A little paint and the deck cover on and good to go. :highfive:

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:36 pm
by propane1
Hehe. No deck cover Tim. That’s what cause all the rust in the first place. On the outside parts of the deck where the cover was not, the metal is good.

Noel

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:37 pm
by RoamingGnome
Nice Sturdy, straightforward repair Noel ! Looks good :thumbsup:
Enjoying your YouTube videos too... :cheers:

Gerry

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:39 pm
by propane1
The metal I used for the fix is 1/8”, if anybody wanted to know. I don’t think I mentioned that. Could of used 1/16” I suppose. But the deck was originally 1/8”, so that’s what I used.

Noel

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:40 pm
by propane1
RoamingGnome wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:37 pm Nice Sturdy, straightforward repair Noel ! Looks good :thumbsup:
Enjoying your YouTube videos too... :cheers:

Gerry
Thanks Gerry.

You tube is entertaining, for sure.

Noel

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:48 pm
by JSinMO
Looks like a good repair. Interesting use of a winch too! :giggle:

I’m glad you’ll be able to put the deck back in service, it should last a long time now.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:14 pm
by Harry
Noel, a well-executed repair. I like the idea of the 1/8" thick material. I have found it's easier to weld the thicker metal. I strike the arc on the heavy metal then wash the weld to the thinner metal then back to the thicker. Less problems with burning through that way. A spindle gets a lot of vibration so the more weld the better. :peace: Harry

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:23 pm
by MattA
Good work Noel :thumbsup:
Maybe lay down some more welds on your patch? I'm no welding expert...

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:50 am
by propane1
Harry wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:14 pm Noel, a well-executed repair. I like the idea of the 1/8" thick material. I have found it's easier to weld the thicker metal. I strike the arc on the heavy metal then wash the weld to the thinner metal then back to the thicker. Less problems with burning through that way. A spindle gets a lot of vibration so the more weld the better. :peace: Harry
That’s exactly what I did Harry. I’m surely not a welder, but I like the thicker metals. I’m using a stick welder. 3/32 6013 rods with about 115 amps. I have no idea if that’s the right thing to do, but I got it all stuck on.
Thanks for the comment.

Noel

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:42 am
by Harry
That will probably be good and hold up fine. Different welder like different electrodes. Which is fine unless a code is requiring a specific one. I personally like E6010 or E6011. E6010 is for DC current and E6011 is for AC. It produces a good weld for most situations on metal that is not cleaned. So farmers use it to repair equipment especially in the field. What I like to do is use E6010 or 11 and use a whipping technique. Create a puddle then whip the rod out of the puddle then go back in and create another puddle. This technique creates a weld to fuse two pieces of metal together. Then grind the weld to clean off flux and rust in the weld area. Follow up with a E7018 rod which creates a stronger weld and can last longer under diverse conditions. I hope this may help anyone who wants to learn more about welding. :peace: Harry

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:19 am
by propane1
I just have an old Sears welder AC only. Thanks for the tips Harry. I was always told to use E6013 for rusty dirty metal, that’s what farmers use I was told. Once I run out I’ll try the E6011.
I did buy one time at the local welding supply shop, one time was a rod that was aimed at people who didn’t weld very good and were using it on dirty rusted metal. Have no idea what number of rod it was. It hat blue flux. Any idea what kind of rod that is Harry. One thing about the blue rod is, they were expensive.

Noel

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:24 pm
by propane1
Hehe. Will see if this video works. Can’t remember how to do stuff from one day to the next. Hehe.

Noel

https://youtu.be/5Yzto4lKT0A

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:59 pm
by JSinMO
I’m liking your videos Noel! As far as grease gun drippings on the mower deck, I’ve tried oil and I can’t really say it did much good. Didn’t hurt anything, other than more dirt stuck to it. Don’t know if this would help in your case, but a lot of times I’ll get a spray can of rust inhibitor and spray it on then hit it with some paint.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:25 pm
by Spike188
@propane1 Noel, I enjoyed your tour around the shop this afternoon. Great video!

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:32 pm
by propane1
Spike188 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:25 pm @propane1 Noel, I enjoyed your tour around the shop this afternoon. Great video!
Thanks very much Spike. It’s great entertainment. :giggle:

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:44 pm
by propane1
JSinMO wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:59 pm I’m liking your videos Noel! As far as grease gun drippings on the mower deck, I’ve tried oil and I can’t really say it did much good. Didn’t hurt anything, other than more dirt stuck to it. Don’t know if this would help in your case, but a lot of times I’ll get a spray can of rust inhibitor and spray it on then hit it with some paint.
Well Jeff. I’ve been oiling the bearings and other stuff and places on the deck have oil there. So I doubt any type of paint would stick.
I’ll keep thinking. Never thought of rust inhibitor.
Thanks for liking the videos Jeff.

Noel

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:02 am
by Eugen
If I were you Noel, I would clean the metal well with brake cleaner, then would wire brush, and apply a coat of krud kutter rust gel. Wipe that and then paint with rust paint. That should last a long time. The rust paint I got from home hardware seems to be really good. I used it on my snowcaster.

I really liked your video!

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:38 am
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:02 am If I were you Noel, I would clean the metal well with brake cleaner, then would wire brush, and apply a coat of krud kutter rust gel. Wipe that and then paint with rust paint. That should last a long time. The rust paint I got from home hardware seems to be really good. I used it on my snowcaster.

I really liked your video!
Thanks Eugen. I’ll look up the krud kutter rust gel.

Noel

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:37 am
by Harry
Noel, the blue rod is an expensive rod that sure works good. I’ve used them before, but GM was paying for them, not me. E6010 or 11 may want to stick to the metal more than the E6013. With some practice on scrap metal you’ll get the hang of it. I enjoyed your video a lot, much appreciated. :peace: Harry

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:49 am
by Eugen
propane1 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:38 am Thanks Eugen. I’ll look up the krud kutter rust gel.

Noel
Dave uses this too. It's the only product we have here that contains phosphoric acid. It converts surface rust to a black oxide that is a primer for painting.

https://canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/must-for ... 89178.html

This is the liquid version but they have a gel too. The gel tends to penetrate more. I have used both. If a white dust remains on the surface it needs to be wiped.

The reason I mentioned the paint is that I even used it on still rusted surface on a cement mixer because the weather was turning bad and there was no time for proper preparation. I think this paint also contains some rust inhibitor. It's the hh own brand called beautytone alkyd rust paint. It's expensive but I got some on sale.

All I know is that a little cleaning and some good paint will protect the steel much better than oil.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:21 am
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:49 am
propane1 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:38 am Thanks Eugen. I’ll look up the krud kutter rust gel.

Noel
Dave uses this too. It's the only product we have here that contains phosphoric acid. It converts surface rust to a black oxide that is a primer for painting.

https://canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/must-for ... 89178.html

This is the liquid version but they have a gel too. The gel tends to penetrate more. I have used both. If a white dust remains on the surface it needs to be wiped.

The reason I mentioned the paint is that I even used it on still rusted surface on a cement mixer because the weather was turning bad and there was no time for proper preparation. I think this paint also contains some rust inhibitor. It's the hh own brand called beautytone alkyd rust paint. It's expensive but I got some on sale.

All I know is that a little cleaning and some good paint will protect the steel much better than oil.
Thanks Eugen.

Noel

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:24 am
by Timj
Nice video Noel. I'm kinda thinking that down the road you'll be doing the same repair to the left side of the deck.
I don't have any experience with that blue rod. I would recommend picking up some 6011 and play with it a little to get use to it before using on a repair, probably will need to turn your heat down a little. It penetrates well but spatters more, it does a good job with uncleaned and rusty metal. I would keep some of the 6013 around for clean stuff, it is so easy to weld new metal with and look nice.
:geek: Tim

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:41 am
by propane1
Timj wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:24 am Nice video Noel. I'm kinda thinking that down the road you'll be doing the same repair to the left side of the deck.
I don't have any experience with that blue rod. I would recommend picking up some 6011 and play with it a little to get use to it before using on a repair, probably will need to turn your heat down a little. It penetrates well but spatters more, it does a good job with uncleaned and rusty metal. I would keep some of the 6013 around for clean stuff, it is so easy to weld new metal with and look nice.
:geek: Tim
Your right Tim. It will have to be replaced at some point.
I should have cut out the whole piece from side to side front to back. Made a template of it and got it made at the metal shop with the holes cut out for the 3 spindles. Oh well. That’s the way it goes.

Noel

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:05 pm
by propane1
Hehe. A picture of the deck now. I found some rust converter in the cabinet. Could be 20 to 30 years old. Hehe. Any way, slopped some of that on. Seemed to turn black. I’ll find some 10 to 20 year old paint in the. Cabinet to throw on it tomorrow. Hard to say what colour it will be, but hoping for black. So nobody can see my work that good. Hehe.

Noel

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:40 pm
by thebuildist
It looks perfect from here!

Bob

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:11 pm
by propane1
So I’m getting there. Found some Home Hardware semi gloss black rust paint in the cabinet. It’s only 5 years old or so, almost new paint ! So slopped that on today. Tomorrow I’ll see if I can get the pulleys back on, and get the belt installed. Have a little welding underneath to do. Only a few minutes worth. Not sure what it’s called, but it’s sorta a slide to help keep the deck from digging in, in the middle of the deck at the back. Some decks, like my MF 14 or the YT16H ford has rollers there.

Noel

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:02 pm
by Eugen
Looks good Noel, are you going to put a cover on it too?

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:27 pm
by JSinMO
Just about good to go Noel, just in time for spring!
This reminds me I haven’t really look the deck that came with my 446, it kinda fell through the cracks!

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:05 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:02 pm Looks good Noel, are you going to put a cover on it too?
Thanks, but NO cover, sorry for the shout Eugen, :giggle: That’s what causes that rusting trouble there. The rest of the deck is in good shape for being 48 years old. Sure it’s got rust under the deck to. But all that on the top is from the covers on it.
No covers. ! :no: :54: :54:

Noel.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:20 pm
by Eugen
Next time someone throws out a stove keep the tin, makes for a good cover!

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 pm
by propane1
I’ve used the side panels off kitchen stoves to make or repair stuff. The older stoves have great metal in them.
My truck has some stove side panel material in the box after a repair 3 years ago. And it holding up very well.

Noel

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:53 pm
by propane1
So I was watching a video on welding rusty dirty painted metal. One of the comments was that the farmers rod, the blue rod I was wondering about, is a E6011 rod. That’s what one fella said. :106:

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:11 pm
by Eugen
propane1 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:53 pm So I was watching a video on welding rusty dirty painted metal. One of the comments was that the farmers rod, the blue rod I was wondering about, is a E6011 rod. That’s what one fella said. :106:

I used the 6011 myself on the arms of the loader. It splatters more. Then you guys talked me into getting the 7018.