Page 1 of 1

Sleeve Hitch accessories - 446 case/ingersoll

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:44 pm
by RoamingGnome
A quiet winter evening, spent at the computer instead of in the tent garage working on Max (aka my 446)

We bought Max last summer as a pkg deal with almost all the common attachments you could get for it - came with - snowcaster, blade, mower deck, rototiller, Brinly single bottom plow and a cultivator... first extra attachment we purchased was a 38" box blade/scraper from Princess. It needed some improvements out of the box, (but that's another story)

The 446 is intended to be used up north on our wooded 10 acre property. We are going to build a home up there this summer... once major construction is done there will be firewood to haul, a garden plot to make and lots of trails to run through the forest. Most of the attachments went to the property last summer as they were cleaned up and refurbished, I kept the blade and the snowcaster back, hoping to use them this winter - last summer I wanted to use the tractor for moving stuff around the yard so I fabricated a 2" receiver tube adapter for the sleeve hitch...

2" receiver tube adapter from Princess Auto - welded to a section of square tube with one side cut out to make it a "C" section
PXL_20220731_005116294.jpg
PXL_20220731_004423025.jpg
PXL_20220801_184536233.jpg
It works great for moving the utility trailer around the yard ( yes I do have another "hoarding" problem, but it's just SAD - Suzuki Acquisition Disorder )
PXL_20220801_185053071.jpg
PXL_20220801_185118051.jpg
Kind of gives an idea of the crazy hill - 10' grade difference between backyard and street level - not a problem in the summertime, but covered with snow and ice it's a bit of a challenge for the 446

PXL_20220801_195933274.jpg
Swap out the 2" ball for an old bicycle carrier and add a small come along - Max becomes a make shift "yard" crane :thumbsup:

Re: Sleeve Hitch accessories - 446 case/ingersoll

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:07 pm
by Eugen
Great idea the yard crane, wish I had thought of it myself; before I got the loader I moved all attachments around the yard by pulling on them or with a 2 wheel furniture trolley.

You're lucky to find a package like that. I wanted all the attachments you have too, but it took a while and patience to get them. The versatility of these little tractors is amazing to me. You'll get a kick out of your tractor and attachment at your new place I'm sure! Thank you for the pictures, I enjoyed them!

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:27 pm
by JSinMO
@RoamingGnome Good pictures! I build a similar hitch with some c-channel I had, but I can tell, yours is built better than mine! :thumbsup:
I’m looking forward to seeing your tractor getting the work done up at your home site! I’m sure it’s going to be handy with all the attachments that came in the package.

Now about your S.A.D. condition :rofl: Are those Suzuki trucks getting hard to find in your area? I can’t remember the last time I saw one down here.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:53 am
by RoamingGnome
@Eugen Thanks for your comments... I'm hoping if I share some stories it will inspire me to get out there and finish fixing the little annoying things with Max before "Spring" actually gets here. - the Bike carrier was an ok fangle for moving some bulky stuff in the yard but I wanted to do better, so I purchased one of those "Mini Bed Mount Cranes" from Princess. I've got a receiver hitch mount almost finished for it - hoping to be able to use it on either Max or BluZuki (my Samurai up at the property)

@JSinMO The Suzuki Samurai is getting as rare as Hen's Teeth up here in the great white north - something about the excessive amounts of salt used on the roads in winter. :cuss: We bought our first one 30 yrs ago, and after a few trail rides bought a 2nd one so :wife: could have her own - she said I didn't share driving time very well. :whip: Over the years I acquired almost the complete set of different models but had to drag them to a friends farm near our property up north when City Bylaw got upset about the number of non-running vehicles in my backyard. The couple of sidekicks seen in the photo above are drive train donors and will go off to scrap once the engines have been pulled in the spring...
PXL_20220825_233205041.MP (Large).jpg
BluZuki up at the property
PXL_20221012_174536052.MP (Large).jpg
Hauling brush to the burn pile - (lots of storm damage last year...)

Gerry

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:21 am
by DavidBarkey
We use to call them JJs . short for Japanese Jeeps . Fun little bush buggies .

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:19 pm
by Gordy
Back in the day one of the local rock stations had the "Rock and roll over weekend, brought to you by Suzuki Samurai" :rofl: Apparently they didn't corner well at speed on clover leafs ... :109:

:cheers:
Gordy

'

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:58 am
by propane1
Those Suzuki’s were very popular here years ago. May still be one or two around.

Noel

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:12 am
by DavidBarkey
Gordy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:19 pm Back in the day one of the local rock stations had the "Rock and roll over weekend, brought to you by Suzuki Samurai" :rofl: Apparently they didn't corner well at speed on clover leafs ... :109:

Gordy

The first generation were so narrow you could drive two side by side in the same lane like motor cycles do . But were stupid unstable at anything over city speed

'

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:52 am
by Eugen
I've often wondered what engines Suzuki used in cars and if they/re as reliable as the bike engines. I got a new Suzuki V-Strom in 2008. Took a risk and broke the engine in hard. It has about 30K kilometers (maybe 18k miles) which normally is quite much for motorcycles. This engine is perfect, does not burn a drop of oil, and it's as strong as it was new. The only thing I've done to it was change oil and filter, and once the brake pads. When I lived in Toronto I rode it to work pretty much everyday, except when the snow and ice came. This was not an isolated experience, this engine has a world wide following. Perhaps something like this explains the Samurai enthusiasts club?

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:02 am
by propane1
I allways got a kick out of the Suzuki commercial where the older fella is taking people for a cruise through the swamp in the 4x4. Ayyieee. Hehe.

Noel

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:45 pm
by MattA
Be sure and find yourself a set of engine tins if you haven't already.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:42 pm
by Spike188
]MattA[/mention] Great catch on the engine tins! These Onan's like to eat the #1 connecting rod if the shrouds over the heads are left off.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:00 am
by RoamingGnome
...Well, at least the conversation has come back around to :creeper: again... :)) I'll eventually make a proper entry in "Other Vehicles" about my SLUTS (Stupid Little Ugly Trucks)

Thanks for the comments and watchful eyes @MattA and @Spike188 I think I'll have to photoshop tinwork onto all of my old tractor photos :)) A few people have noticed and commented on their absence. That's a good reason for being brave and sharing your photos on forums and benefiting from collective knowledge and experience.

The first mention they were missing was when I did my introduction post on another Case Ingersoll forum... since then I acquired some tinwork from an older Onan B43M - just needs some creativity to match up tabs and screw holes that are in the different spots. If there is engine damage most likely it will be courtesy of the previous owner, and I have no idea how long it was run with bare heads. Since I got the tractor last summer I think I've only put an hour or two on it - the 48" mower deck is overkill and way too big for our yard in the city... any other usage has been start the tractor up, move it, take a few photos and put it back again.

The engine also stopped working (wouldn't start) a couple of snow storms ago and now the tractor is getting torn apart to fix a bunch of issues - sloppy travel linkages, annoying little hydraulic leak that leaves a puddle on the mower deck (or floor), clean the Carb, change the fuel lines, pull the plugs and pop a scope in to check for carbon on the heads, fix the rats nest of "creative" wiring and look at the non-functioning safety switch (sorry @ras101 I think some of them are useful, and the 446 is old enough that it doesn't have that operator presence safety switch on the seat - thankfully)

I'll do a proper write up :writing: when I have a little more progress to show for my self... :cheers:

Gerry

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:22 am
by Eugen
Gerry, as you can see we are not very strict about "off topic" excursions like other forums. We here adhere to "gentle parenting" rather than the big stick. :))

The sleeve hitch is very useful as long as it doesn't get too much abuse. It happened to me, the attachment hydraulic cylinder literally ripped open while I was using the moldboard plow and wanted to lift it out of the ground as it was stuck. The cylinder must've been really tired already, but it didn't help that I forced it several (many) times upwards with the moldboard stuck in the ground. Best to upgrade to a 3pth at some point, as you can still use all the attachments from the sleeve hitch, with the adapter.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:32 am
by RoamingGnome
Eugen wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:22 am Gerry, as you can see we are not very strict about "off topic" excursions like other forums. We here adhere to "gentle parenting" rather than the big stick. :))

The sleeve hitch is very useful as long as it doesn't get too much abuse. It happened to me, the attachment hydraulic cylinder literally ripped open while I was using the moldboard plow and wanted to lift it out of the ground as it was stuck. The cylinder must've been really tired already, but it didn't help that I forced it several (many) times upwards with the moldboard stuck in the ground. Best to upgrade to a 3pth at some point, as you can still use all the attachments from the sleeve hitch, with the adapter.
Thanks @Eugen Good to know about topics wandering and meandering... :))

Also good to know about limitations of the sleeve hitch's lift capacity... I'm keeping a look out for a "local" 3pth setup - It would probably be the next item on my "wish list" :cheers:

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:45 am
by Eugen
RoamingGnome wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:32 am
I'm keeping a look out for a "local" 3pth setup - It would probably be the next item on my "wish list" :cheers:
Good luck with that, in the few years that I've had Case tractors I have not seen even one for sale separately, in Ontario. Very rarely even together with a tractor, maybe just once or twice. At this point I have resolved myself to just build it myself, one day... :violin:

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:29 pm
by DavidBarkey
RoamingGnome wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:32 am
Eugen wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:22 am Gerry, as you can see we are not very strict about "off topic" excursions like other forums. We here adhere to "gentle parenting" rather than the big stick. :))

Thanks @Eugen Good to know about topics wandering and meandering... :))

Also good to know about limitations of the sleeve hitch's lift capacity... I'm keeping a look out for a "local" 3pth setup - It would probably be the next item on my "wish list" :cheers:

Some where I saw where a guy took and had a chain that went up from the sleeve hitch to a bracket where the big bolt hold the frame to the diff . this was adjustable and would take the strain of an implement off the cylinder .

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:22 am
by Gordy
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:29 pm Some where I saw where a guy took and had a chain that went up from the sleeve hitch to a bracket where the big bolt hold the frame to the diff . this was adjustable and would take the strain of an implement off the cylinder .
I did that on my 224. I found some 1/4" wire hooks that fit in the corners at the top of the fuel tank surround without contacting the fuel tank, and ran 1/4" chains down to the sleeve hitch. This allowed me to remove the link to raise and lower the sleeve hitch, I then stacked 6 , 4x8x16 solid concrete block on the sleeve hitch for traction while snow blowing.

Gordy

Re: Sleeve Hitch accessories - case/ingersoll

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:55 pm
by TLD89
Spring yard work begins. Here are a few yard implements works good for me.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:41 pm
by Ingersoll224
Here is a winch bracket I made which still allows something to be connected in the middle.
IMG_5767.JPEG
Carriage bolts on the winch slide into the keyholes.
IMG_5766.JPEG
A bolt in the top keyhole locks it in place.
IMG_5769.JPEG
I also made a sod cutter:

Basically it is a flat bar with an edge in the back and a gauge wheel. Needs 200# of weight to work well.
IMG_6128.JPEG
IMG_6129.JPEG

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:59 pm
by Eugen
The problem with what you're trying to do is that your icloud photos link is not a direct link to an image, instead, it's a link to a website which shows and image. Your link is like this:

Code: Select all

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#01dyta4hrMuwfPbm3C9N2x5Zg

The problem is not with this site, it is with icloud. icloud does not present a page with an image that I can download. Unfortunately, if you want to post images, you will have to get them out of icloud and upload them here. Unless you can find a way to provide a link directly to the image, not the web page displaying the image.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:13 pm
by Ingersoll224
Thx Eugene :worship:

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:35 pm
by RoamingGnome
Nicely done on the winch bracket @Ingersoll224 I really like the idea of the keyholes for an easy on and off of your winch. :thumbsup:
@TLD89 - You've got some nice looking attachments too! :highfive:

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:04 pm
by keith
TDL89 thanks for posting the pics, nice to see what others have for attachments. They look nice. :cheers:

Ingersoll224 your sleeve hitch looks homemade, did you also fab that one? Looks like the sides were made from 1/4" material, if so how does it stand up for use? The pattern in the library shows 5/16" sides, I think. :cheers:

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:01 pm
by Ingersoll224
I believe the sleeve hitch is a factory unit. I never measured the components but none of the construction would lead me to believe it is anything other than a Case unit. (I pulled it off my old 212 Case and put it on my 224 Ingersoll). It certainly has worked fine for years.

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:40 am
by keith
Thanks for the explanation. After a second look I realized it's not different. :cheers: