Page 1 of 1

winter traction options

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:53 pm
by DavidBarkey
Ok guys , what are your experiences with winter traction aids .
Here is what I got and experiences
Turfs with 2 link chains - great grip in snow and ice / not so good on hard surfaces.
Turfs with 4 link chains - good grip in snow and ice / better than 2 link on hard surfaces .
Lugs - great in the soft stuff / loosy on ice or hard packed

So brings me to a thought , what about studded lugs in winter ?? Anyone have experience with that .?

Re: winter traction options

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:18 pm
by propane1
No trouble with traction with my Case 446. The John Deere has atv tires on it. Gators, if thats a name you recognize. I know nothin about atv tires, any way, they are sorta shaped like lug tractor tires. So a number of years ago I put stainless steel screws into the lugs on the tire. They are all worn out now, but at the time they seemed to help on ice. You could see the marks on the ice from the screws.

Noel

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:39 pm
by Timj
propane1 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:18 pm No trouble with traction with my Case 446. The John Deere has atv tires on it. Gators, if thats a name you recognize. I know nothin about atv tires, any way, they are sorta shaped like lug tractor tires. So a number of years ago I put stainless steel screws into the lugs on the tire. They are all worn out now, but at the time they seemed to help on ice. You could see the marks on the ice from the screws.

Noel
What were the screws you used Noel, were they the ones they sell for traction or just regular screws?

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:48 am
by propane1
Timj wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:39 pm
propane1 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:18 pm No trouble with traction with my Case 446. The John Deere has atv tires on it. Gators, if thats a name you recognize. I know nothin about atv tires, any way, they are sorta shaped like lug tractor tires. So a number of years ago I put stainless steel screws into the lugs on the tire. They are all worn out now, but at the time they seemed to help on ice. You could see the marks on the ice from the screws.

Noel
What were the screws you used Noel, were they the ones they sell for traction or just regular screws?
Just regular sheet metal screws with red Robertson screw driver head Tim. Cant remember what size, number 8 or 10’s. But I think the 10’s. Stainless steel. 3/4” long. Depending on lug depth. I think I could have used 1” long. But I didn’t for some reason. I did loose a few screws. They pulled out. Can’t remember if I pre drilled the holes or not.

Noel

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:42 am
by DavidBarkey
image.png
Saw these and thought maybe with these I would not have to do seasonal tire change over on Frankie an leave the lugs on year round . Thoughts ?

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:03 am
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:42 am image.png
Saw these and thought maybe with these I would not have to do seasonal tire change over on Frankie an leave the lugs on year round . Thoughts ?
I wonder if they would stay in. Only just a 1/2” long from what I figure. Are they hardened Dave ? How far could you get them screwed in before the socket slips. Maybe farther than what I show In the picture.

Noel

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:15 am
by DavidBarkey
propane1 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:03 am
I wonder if they would stay in. Only just a 1/2” long from what I figure. Are they hardened Dave ? How far could you get them screwed in before the socket slips. Maybe farther than what I show In the picture.

Noel
Yes they are hardened as per the add . I do not know if they would pull out , but do come in other sizes . I have not dealt with studded tires as they are not allowed on road hear only up north more in winter only .

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:09 am
by propane1
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:15 am
propane1 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:03 am

Noel
Yes they are hardened as per the add . I do not know if they would pull out , but do come in other sizes . I have not dealt with studded tires as they are not allowed on road hear only up north more in winter only .

For me, I would like the bigger ones.
Studded tires are allowed here between November and April. You hear a lot of cars going months before and after the snow with the studs in the tires. Wear them out before the snow even gets here. Seem sorta useless in a way having studs. If there a major snow storm here, the way they clean the roads, they are back to pavement with in a day in the major areas, not so much in the country. So they could be useful there. If they are not worn off. There are fines for having studded tires on between May and October.

Noel

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:12 am
by Jancoe
https://gripstuds.com/collections/tractor-studs

I helped a friend a few years ago installing this company's studs on his atv. The have all sorts of styles. He has not lost a stud yet. He did it for plowing his driveway and ice fishing. If I were to go this route I'd probably purchase these. I like the auger style screw.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:21 am
by propane1
Jancoe wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:12 am https://gripstuds.com/collections/tractor-studs

I helped a friend a few years ago installing this company's studs on his atv. The have all sorts of styles. He has not lost a stud yet. He did it for plowing his driveway and ice fishing. If I were to go this route I'd probably purchase these. I like the auger style screw.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Nice grip to those for sure. I can see how they would not come out.

Noel

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:21 am
by Eugen
One of the reasons I got the parts tractor from Al were these chains. Not only they have bigger links than the chain I had previously on the 446, but they got these pieces welded on the outside of the links, like little claws.

3A17827E-3688-49BE-9261-60DD9F52DF74.jpeg

I realize it would be a lot of work to add these to a regular chain though.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:19 am
by propane1
In my area, those are called ice chains. Great grip with those.

Noel

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:07 pm
by Eugen
My experience so far has been like this. When I had the 226 with big lug tires in the back, it was at the beginning when I didn't know much about these tractors. And I was very frustrated trying to blow snow with that tractor, getting in a rut at times and one wheel turning, the other not. Wasn't even very icy. That taught me that if you don't have differential lock, you better have a lot of weight on rear. When I got the 446 and put lug tires on the back plus a lot of weight it seemed to do fine in most conditions, except when really icy. I had no chains at the time, but very icy conditions didn't happen often.

My 644 right now has lug tires, no chains, but a lot of weight on the back. Good traction so far, haven't had to deal with any real ice.

The 444 on snowcaster duty has turf tires and the v-bar chains, or ice chains as Noel calls them. Also JD combine weights at 162 lbs per wheel. This is a new setup for me, and got to test it yesterday. The snow close to the ground, which is gravel, was on the soft side, as it was not very cold (near 30F or 0C). I was worried that they would not provide enough grip as they don't have such an extended profile like the lug tires, however, they were great.

Possibly the studs on lug tires may by one of the best combination in terms of performance and value.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:36 pm
by propane1
More ways to gain traction are, 2 ply tires, lower air pressure, fit your chains loose, use lower gear, keep the revs low, if possible.

Noel

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:31 pm
by Gordy
The mechanic showed up one day and installed these on the rubber tracked Cat skid steer I was operating. I asked if I should take it easy with these in, he said no run it like you stole it. By the end of the week there was not a stud left in the tracks :( Maybee those ager type ones would work better?

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:10 pm
by Timj
Eugen wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:21 am One of the reasons I got the parts tractor from Al were these chains. Not only they have bigger links than the chain I had previously on the 446, but they got these pieces welded on the outside of the links, like little claws.

3A17827E-3688-49BE-9261-60DD9F52DF74.jpeg

I realize it would be a lot of work to add these to a regular chain though.
I really like the v-bar chains, they're a little harder on the concrete if you spin the wheels.

I ended up putting the set of v-bars I have been running on the 4118 on the 448. The other set I have that were too long went in the service stuck, they will fit the 19.5" tires on it. Already needed them, glad I didn't cut them down.

I put a set of chains I used to run on the 4118 for now. They are a set of cut down truck chains so they have bigger sized chain than Lt chain. They don't bite into the ice as well but are good in the snow. The 4118 has a little more clearance to the inside of the fender than the 448.
:geek: Tim

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:33 am
by TLD89
I welded up a z plate and weight bracket for the 3018 with atv tires on works well. (Just removed tire chains not in pic.)
The 4020-dose plow snow a little better than the 3018 though.
Had them both ready this year but no snow this season.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:23 am
by Eugen
I'm wondering why the 3018 doesn't do as well. @TLD89 that weight bracket looks nice. How much weight do you find acceptable to get good traction?

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:49 am
by TLD89
Eugen, not sure why the 3018 pushes snow better maybe the tire differences. One might think with the wider tires it would push more.
100lbs never tried any other weight.