winter traction options

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
DavidBarkey Canada

winter traction options

Post by DavidBarkey »

Ok guys , what are your experiences with winter traction aids .
Here is what I got and experiences
Turfs with 2 link chains - great grip in snow and ice / not so good on hard surfaces.
Turfs with 4 link chains - good grip in snow and ice / better than 2 link on hard surfaces .
Lugs - great in the soft stuff / loosy on ice or hard packed

So brings me to a thought , what about studded lugs in winter ?? Anyone have experience with that .?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Re: winter traction options

Post by propane1 »

No trouble with traction with my Case 446. The John Deere has atv tires on it. Gators, if thats a name you recognize. I know nothin about atv tires, any way, they are sorta shaped like lug tractor tires. So a number of years ago I put stainless steel screws into the lugs on the tire. They are all worn out now, but at the time they seemed to help on ice. You could see the marks on the ice from the screws.

Noel
Attachments
3BBD541D-70D2-4D2A-8441-70797EDE3B3D.png
6249F86A-B586-4D52-B4C1-871A02516647.png
80790B6E-8A54-4606-B3D7-62489B55C9F0.png
71DB1B26-AD33-43E8-9FB3-9199B91816B2.jpeg
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

propane1 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:18 pm No trouble with traction with my Case 446. The John Deere has atv tires on it. Gators, if thats a name you recognize. I know nothin about atv tires, any way, they are sorta shaped like lug tractor tires. So a number of years ago I put stainless steel screws into the lugs on the tire. They are all worn out now, but at the time they seemed to help on ice. You could see the marks on the ice from the screws.

Noel
What were the screws you used Noel, were they the ones they sell for traction or just regular screws?
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Timj wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:39 pm
propane1 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:18 pm No trouble with traction with my Case 446. The John Deere has atv tires on it. Gators, if thats a name you recognize. I know nothin about atv tires, any way, they are sorta shaped like lug tractor tires. So a number of years ago I put stainless steel screws into the lugs on the tire. They are all worn out now, but at the time they seemed to help on ice. You could see the marks on the ice from the screws.

Noel
What were the screws you used Noel, were they the ones they sell for traction or just regular screws?
Just regular sheet metal screws with red Robertson screw driver head Tim. Cant remember what size, number 8 or 10’s. But I think the 10’s. Stainless steel. 3/4” long. Depending on lug depth. I think I could have used 1” long. But I didn’t for some reason. I did loose a few screws. They pulled out. Can’t remember if I pre drilled the holes or not.

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

image.png
Saw these and thought maybe with these I would not have to do seasonal tire change over on Frankie an leave the lugs on year round . Thoughts ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:42 am image.png
Saw these and thought maybe with these I would not have to do seasonal tire change over on Frankie an leave the lugs on year round . Thoughts ?
I wonder if they would stay in. Only just a 1/2” long from what I figure. Are they hardened Dave ? How far could you get them screwed in before the socket slips. Maybe farther than what I show In the picture.

Noel
Attachments
623CC45D-48ED-42F5-BE8F-B6B745991643.jpeg
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

propane1 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:03 am
I wonder if they would stay in. Only just a 1/2” long from what I figure. Are they hardened Dave ? How far could you get them screwed in before the socket slips. Maybe farther than what I show In the picture.

Noel
Yes they are hardened as per the add . I do not know if they would pull out , but do come in other sizes . I have not dealt with studded tires as they are not allowed on road hear only up north more in winter only .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:15 am
propane1 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:03 am

Noel
Yes they are hardened as per the add . I do not know if they would pull out , but do come in other sizes . I have not dealt with studded tires as they are not allowed on road hear only up north more in winter only .

For me, I would like the bigger ones.
Studded tires are allowed here between November and April. You hear a lot of cars going months before and after the snow with the studs in the tires. Wear them out before the snow even gets here. Seem sorta useless in a way having studs. If there a major snow storm here, the way they clean the roads, they are back to pavement with in a day in the major areas, not so much in the country. So they could be useful there. If they are not worn off. There are fines for having studded tires on between May and October.

Noel
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

https://gripstuds.com/collections/tractor-studs

I helped a friend a few years ago installing this company's studs on his atv. The have all sorts of styles. He has not lost a stud yet. He did it for plowing his driveway and ice fishing. If I were to go this route I'd probably purchase these. I like the auger style screw.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Jancoe wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:12 am https://gripstuds.com/collections/tractor-studs

I helped a friend a few years ago installing this company's studs on his atv. The have all sorts of styles. He has not lost a stud yet. He did it for plowing his driveway and ice fishing. If I were to go this route I'd probably purchase these. I like the auger style screw.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Nice grip to those for sure. I can see how they would not come out.

Noel