Pallet fork lifting adapter/extension arm

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
Gordy United States of America

Re: Pallet fork lifting adapter/extension arm

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:44 pm
Gordy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:41 pm Could have used that last week to hoist Bamby for processing :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Gordy
:thumbsup: Did you get a good one ? The father inlaw hunts with a group of about six . They all have tags , some bucks and a couple of does . This year they got a buck and 2 does . Some years they got nothing , while others , a full quota . It all goes to a local butcher after gutting and get split up after that . It won't be too much longer and there will be no one left around too butcher , they are dying bread literally .
Extra fresh road kill ;) NOT my truck, :phew: I saw 4 ways flashing ahead in the dark, as i pulled up behind it I saw bambi a yearling doe on the shoulder. The lady was upset and did not know what to do, I had her call the cops to get a report to help out with the insurance Co. While she was doing that I inspected the front of her brand new (30 miles) Escalade :cuss: The left front corner was obliterated below the headlight, radiator was fine and no fluid leaks. When I told her this and that she was OK to head for home, she said something was rubbing as she pulled over. Another look revealed some plastic against the tire above the upper ball joint. The steel bracket that held the plastic was bent a bit, but was so lightweight I bent it back with 1 hand.

All that plastic crushing really reduced the impact damage to Bambi, a broken leg and pelvic bone. It must have slammed it head on the road as blood had come out the nose, mouth and ears, pretty much an instant kill.

I butcher my own, but don't do any fancy cuts especially with these small ones. Just separate the front quarters / shoulder blades from the rib cage, fold the mid leg up to the shoulder blade and tie with string and call it a bone in roast. Same for the rear quarters. Then remove the tenderloins, back straps and neck for a soup bone. Already ate the liver, could never stand it as a kid, but Mom always fryed it dry and tough. I sliced it and laid it in a roasting pan and covered it with inch long bacon slices with 1/4 cup of water. Put it in the oven at 350* for an hour, moist and tasty.

Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@Gordy you live a life full of adventure! I want more adventures like you! :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

thebuildist wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:54 pm @Eugen surely you know me well enough by now to know the answer to both of your questions:

I used 3/8 in all thread because that's what I had sitting for free in my scrap materials pile.

And I used a 10-ft stick of 1 in sprinkler pipe because... Wait for it... That's what I had sitting for free in my scrap materials pile!

Bob
Yes yes Bob, I have thought of that. But I was thinking that if you use up the all thread now, it'll be more expensive to buy when you will need it in the future, than some rebar. Anyway, it's nice you guys have all this scrap around. Maybe 20 years from now I'll be like you, having scrap that I could use for various projects. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Well, I was wrong.

I'm a big enough man, and a secure enough man, and a man of enough integrity to admit when I'm wrong.

And I was wrong when I said, "the extension boom's capacity is between about 100 and 400lbs depending on its position." The truth is I had guesstimated, based on how close it felt to tipping, that it would have tipped if I pushed it further forward from 45 degrees.

So, I decided to document the point at which my fully clothed 220 lbs can cause the tractor to tip forward. So I set up my video camerat, and put the boom at about 45 degrees, and it supported my weight as I expected.
PXL_20221201_150901958_exported_14813.jpg
And then I tipped it forward to about 30 degrees

PXL_20221201_150901958_exported_56550.jpg

And to my mild surprise, it still supported my weight
PXL_20221201_150901958_exported_69685.jpg

So I tilted it forward to more like 15 degrees

PXL_20221201_150901958_exported_84153.jpg

And it STILL supported my weight.
PXL_20221201_150901958_exported_101528.jpg

So I put that sucker STRAIGHT DEAD LEVEL
PXL_20221201_150901958_exported_115703.jpg

I my measley 220 lbs still failed to tip the machine forward.

PXL_20221201_150901958_exported_159110.jpg

And with me sitting in the seat, it would surely support about 300 lbs before it would tip.

SO: apparently it would be more accurate to say, "Its capacity is about 300 to... 500?lbs, depending on the boom position."

I feel really good getting that off my chest.
PXL_20221201_145155658.mp4_snapshot_01.45_[2022.12.01_11.05.36].png
HOWEVER, there's another, darker, side to this: Having used this boom to move my smaller giant nutcracker (about 8 feet tall, no more than about 150 lbs.) I have realized that it is impossible, at least for me, to finesse the movement of this boom. Maybe after a lot of use and acclimatization, I'd get smoother, but for now I make silly, jerky, mistaken movements. And if you had any load slung that could cause the tractor to tip, at least with me at the controls, it's inevitable that I'm going to curl the boom too far forward or make some other mistake, and therefore tip the machine over and damage the machine, the load, or the operator. I would clearly "hang myself" with the plentiful "rope it gives me".

So, in light of that reality, "the capacity of this unit is about 300lbs." Full stop.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@thebuildist Bob , it is not you , but rather the length of the boom accellerating any motion . I have seen a number of these things in action . Most guys who use them regularly have a winch on them for your up and down movement . Over all height and angle set with hydraulics and then winch for up and down .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Only a hydraulic winch would befit this all hydraulic tractor Bob. Moreover, conveniently attached to your grapple hookups. Surely you have some hydraulic motor in your stash that you could use for this. :giggle:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

YOU DO NOT KNOW

how close I've come to buying an hydraulic motor, on multiple occasions.

I've never found one scrap, so retail is my only option.

And it kills me.

I have the plan and almost all the components for a bucket-borne concrete mixer.

AND for a 3-poinr post hole digger.

AND for a 3-point stump grinder.

Except the wretched motor. And I can't bear to part with more than 100 U.S. Greenbacks just to find out how well/whether it will actually work.

If you hear of anyone in the Atlanta area throwing away any hydraulic motors, be sure to let me know.

:)) :)) :))

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

thebuildist wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:10 pm YOU DO NOT KNOW

how close I've come to buying an hydraulic motor, on multiple occasions.

I've never found one scrap, so retail is my only option.

And it kills me.

I have the plan and almost all the components for a bucket-borne concrete mixer.

AND for a 3-poinr post hole digger.

AND for a 3-point stump grinder.

Except the wretched motor. And I can't bear to part with more than 100 U.S. Greenbacks just to find out how well/whether it will actually work.

If you hear of anyone in the Atlanta area throwing away any hydraulic motors, be sure to let me know.

:)) :)) :))

Bob
haha! Bob, I got a Case 220 hydraulic motor from ebay for $50 plus shipping, a while ago. Now I have too many! My point is, you can flip parts from a cheap tractor you might find locally, and keep the tractor. But I don't know, maybe for this application an electric winch would be just fine. It is geared already, has a steel rope, much easier really.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Eugen wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:12 am @Gordy you live a life full of adventure! I want more adventures like you! :D
Quite boring actually. Am surprised at no icky or gross comments about the liver thou ;) I do need to get Moms recipe for pickled heat thou :drool:

Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Gordy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:10 pm
Eugen wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:12 am @Gordy you live a life full of adventure! I want more adventures like you! :D
Quite boring actually. Am surprised at no icky or gross comments about the liver thou ;) I do need to get Moms recipe for pickled heat thou :drool:

Gordy
I cannot stand liver of any kind, as food. But I met many people who loved it. No accounting for taste eh? :sick:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E