Proper down pressure on sleeve hitch?

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
Eugen Canada

Re: Proper down pressure on sleeve hitch?

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:54 am
Propane57 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:55 am I’m gunna do a little late rambling here on this one. My tractor I use for gardening is a LGT 100 Ford aka Grunt. All manual lift. No down pressure at all. My Plow doesn’t need down pressure. It pulls its self in to a preset depth. My tandem disks have places on it to set cider blocks. I have blocks on the front set, my cultivator has one block on it. My middle buster Plow needs weight on it to work, but none on it so I use my foot to push on the lift lever to give some down pressure. But with a sleeve hitch it’s hard to get any amount of down pressure because of the way it’s made and operated. The other thing is, a garden tractor can only pull so much. So if you go to deep you won’t be going any where. You could mount a hydraulic cylinder on the back of the tractor to operate the sleeve hitch.
There now, another good ramble.

Noel
Yes , you can and run a diverter valve like some do with the 3 pts to operate it . At that point you might as well build your own like this one .
https://youtu.be/ETN5M0X27gk

Dave
But if you're going to put the effort into building something that nice why not just make it a 3pth? :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Just some thoughts I had. Hehe more ramblin.

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:54 am
Propane57 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:55 am I’m gunna do a little late rambling here on this one. My tractor I use for gardening is a LGT 100 Ford aka Grunt. All manual lift. No down pressure at all. My Plow doesn’t need down pressure. It pulls its self in to a preset depth. My tandem disks have places on it to set cider blocks. I have blocks on the front set, my cultivator has one block on it. My middle buster Plow needs weight on it to work, but none on it so I use my foot to push on the lift lever to give some down pressure. But with a sleeve hitch it’s hard to get any amount of down pressure because of the way it’s made and operated. The other thing is, a garden tractor can only pull so much. So if you go to deep you won’t be going any where. You could mount a hydraulic cylinder on the back of the tractor to operate the sleeve hitch.
There now, another good ramble.

Noel
Yes , you can and run a diverter valve like some do with the 3 pts to operate it . At that point you might as well build your own like this one .
https://youtu.be/ETN5M0X27gk

Dave
That would be a great system for me Dave, because all my attachments are for a sleeve hitch. 3 point would be neat and better because of all the adjustments that can be done. That cylinder on the sleeve hitch would have the same down pressure as a 3 point.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Propane57 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:02 pm
That would be a great system for me Dave, because all my attachments are for a sleeve hitch. 3 point would be neat and better because of all the adjustments that can be done. That cylinder on the sleeve hitch would have the same down pressure as a 3 point.

Noel
Noel, there's a simple adapter that allows to put all sleeve hitch attachments on a 3pth. That's why I said, if you're able to make such a fancy sleeve hitch like Dave showed, you may as well make a 3pth with adapter. I have that.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Eugen wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:21 pm
Propane57 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:02 pm

Noel
Noel, there's a simple adapter that allows to put all sleeve hitch attachments on a 3pth. That's why I said, if you're able to make such a fancy sleeve hitch like Dave showed, you may as well make a 3pth with adapter. I have that.

Oh, I was not sure if there was or not. Have a picture of it Eugen ? Is it only for catorgory zero ? Can it fit a catorgory one. ?

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Propane57 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:30 pm Noel, there's a simple adapter that allows to put all sleeve hitch attachments on a 3pth. That's why I said, if you're able to make such a fancy sleeve hitch like Dave showed, you may as well make a 3pth with adapter. I have that.

Oh, I was not sure if there was or not. Have a picture of it Eugen ? Is it only for catorgory zero ? Can it fit a catorgory one. ?

Noel
[/quote]

The original case 3pth is Cat 0 and here is the manual for it and the adapter:
https://manuals.ccigt.com/More/Case-Ing ... -Hitch.pdf

Not that easy to find, mine came on the 644.

There are plans to make your own. Some people have done it. I think mine is in part original Case 3pth.
https://manuals.ccigt.com/FAQ/Make%20yo ... marked.pdf

And plans for the sleeve hitch adapter.
https://manuals.ccigt.com/FAQ/Case%20Sl ... marked.pdf
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Ah, I see now. Thanks Eugen.

Noel
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

I make the 3 point sleeve hitch adapters. I cannot help you CA guys with the shipping issues and exchange rate, though.

https://saginaw.craigslist.org/grd/d/he ... 66788.html
Seabee United States of America

Post by Seabee »

Hey guys: This has been an interesting and valuable discussion on sleeve hitches vs 3 pt hitches. I have both. I used to have a center drive tiller on my 3 pt hitch and it worked real nice.

I took that tractor out of service w/o taking the 3 pt off. Got a sleeve hitch and put it on another tractor and tiller still wasn't too bad. Got a LH drive tiller with the sleeve hitch and never got tiller to run level after that. I could make it look level if I tilled started on the RH side of the garden and made each pass to the left of that first one. Looked real nice, but on the old style sleeve hitch it twisted the heck out of the hitch to carry it. After using it for my one garden I had the crack welded. The following year I put the old style 3 pt hitch on and I can level the tiller or run one side deeper. On the Moldboard plow I have bought in the meantime the 3 pt hitch is obviously superior from a setting standpoint.

Depending on what you have and what you want to accomplish, either can work. With a 3 pt, you can go from plowing, back to mowing without having to change the hitch, or at least removing the lift arm. With the 3 pt hitch, most of us have to remove the hitch if we are running the Ingersoll leaf suckers. I have always been impressed by the Case Ingersoll 3pt leaf suckers, but they are few and far between.

Bill
Bill Moyer