third function

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
thebuildist United States of America

third function

Post by thebuildist »

I've finished up the final install of the third function on my loader valve.

I bought a couple inexpensive 36" hoses off of Ebay. The seller didn't state the exact size, but I guessed that they were JIC6. They turned out to be JIC 8, so I bought a couple adapters off of Surplus Center to get the hoses hooked up to the valve itself.

Then I machined a couple of custom fittings, #8 JIC bulkhead X 3/8 NPT male. Then I mounted those bulkhead fittings in a bracket made from angle iron.
downloadfile(1).jpg
downloadfile.jpg
With that bracket bolted to the inner face of my righthand loader arm, and the hoses connected and the female QD's screwed on, the third function is installed and ready for use.
PXL_20221108_150853999.jpg
PXL_20221108_150926555.jpg
The grapple itself still needs reinforcement to be welded onto the tines. And it needs a coat of paint pretty badly, it's been out in the rain for two or three weeks so it's got a lot of surface rust. I'll have to wire brush that off pretty good before I can paint it.

And I have just ordered some waterproof rip stop fabric that I will sew into a sleeve to help manage the two 5 ft long gangly hoses that will run from this new QD bracket down to the grapple cylinder. When the bucket is curled all the way back I would only need a hose that's maybe 3 ft long. But when the bucket is curled all the way forward I need at least 4 and 1/2 or 5 ft. So I have 5 ft hoses. But I'm going to have to do a little finessing to get them to behave when the bucket is curled backward.

My original plan was just to use the 5-ft hoses straight from the loader valve down to the cylinder. And they would be okay for that if I didn't curl the bucket forward. But they're not long enough with the bucket curled forward thus we jumped over to needing the permanent bracket for the QDs.... And let's face it, that was the right way to do it the whole time.

But once those minor things are worked out the grapple will be complete.
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: third function

Post by DavidBarkey »

Looks great Bob as usual . But question . What do you have to keep from accidentally activating the valve and dead heading when not in use ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Nice work Bob. I'd be interested in details about how you machined those bulkhead fittings. :)
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by thebuildist »

As far as the dead-heading, I just plan to ignore it:

1: "Don't pull the middle lever with nothing attached."
2. If you do pull the lever, the check valve on the QD will hold 99% sealed, and the loader valve pressure relief will have to trip.

Remember, every time you bottom out your boom or bucket, you're dead-heading the loader valve and the pressure relief has to trip. So I think this will be fine.

Bob

Post by thebuildist »

@Eugen

Doing a bit of research in the last couple years, I've found that hydraulic fittings are surprisingly easy to machine. And I don't think it's coincidence. I think they must have been originally designed to be so. For example, the threads on JIC fittings correspond to standard SAE fine thread bolt sizes. So off-the-shelf taps and dies can be used for the threaded portions, and then you just have to create the 30 degree bevel. So you can create almost anything on the lathe with the exception of swivels. Those involve crimping together multiple pieces, and that's beyond my shop, anyway..

But this chart is available a couple different places on the web:
JIC-fittings-chart.jpg
It gives the precise details for how to create a JIC complaint male fitting, and female fittings are the inverse.

So for this example, I used 1" mild steel round stock. I started with the JIC 8 bulkhead end: I bored out the center hole to 25/64, as per the chart. Next, JIC 8 is 3/4-16 thread, so I turned the threaded journal to .745, same as a standard 3/4" bolt. Then I turned the journal on the tip section to .654 as per the chart. Then I single-pointed threaded the 16TPI threads, using a 3/4 fine nut for testing. Lastly I mounted up a 60 degree diamond shaped insert in my toolholder, with the toolpost set at a right angle, and fed the broad side of the insert straight in to bevel the end of the fitting. The 60 degree cutting insert leaves behind a 30 degree bevel on the fitting. I used to fool around, setting the compound to 60 degrees and making multiple passes, etc. Now I just grab that 60 degree cutter and "knock it out."

The truth is, the bevel doesn't have to be perfect geometry. The 3/4 fine JIC nut is applying several thousand pounds of mating pressure against the bevel, so any angle within a couple degrees of 30 will seal just fine. But it does have to be smooth, so I always finish up with a file and/or emery cloth

For the NPT side of it, I just turned a journal to the size of 3/8" npt pipe, tapered it down just the slightest bit by eye, and then used a 3/8 NPT die to cut the threads onto it.

SAE O-ring fittings are actually even easier to machine, so long as you have a good supply of o-rings onhand. But I'm almost always doing JIC, because that's what you usually need for hoses and hard lines.

One key option that this capability opens up is that you can often find "white elephant" hoses amazingly cheap on Ebay. I bought 4 brand new 5' long 3/8" hoses, the ones running to my loader, for $11 each including shipping. But I had no information as to what the hose ends were. They turned out to be SAE oring on one end and some kind of metric cone seal thingamajig on the other end. I looked up the spec for the metric thing and made adapters as necessary. Other than having to put the special gear in my lathe to do metric single point threading, those were pretty easy to make too.

Bob
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

thebuildist wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:51 am As far as the dead-heading, I just plan to ignore it:

1: "Don't pull the middle lever with nothing attached."
2. If you do pull the lever, the check valve on the QD will hold 99% sealed, and the loader valve pressure relief will have to trip.

Remember, every time you bottom out your boom or bucket, you're dead-heading the loader valve and the pressure relief has to trip. So I think this will be fine.

Bob
Good point Bob
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@thebuildist Thanks for uploading that JIC fitting image . I did not realize they were that easy to make . So now have that save for future endeavours .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Lucky him who has 1" round or hexagonal stock. Because around here you have to pay $75 for two feet of hex :headbash: :cuss:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by thebuildist »

I've got no hex, but I have 15 or so feet each of round and keyway shafting. Stop by some time and I'll share the bounty!

Bob

Post by thebuildist »

Ok I made a major/critical error above:. Be sure to follow the chart, not what I said:. The cone bevel is 37 degrees, not 30.

To be clear, the most recent fittings I made really do have a 30° bevel. I guess the first time I shoot the full pressure to it we're going to find out if you can get away with 30° or not!

No wonder I used to go to the trouble to set the compound angle, etc!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Bob