Well it looks like my Berco needs some work

Utility blade, snow caster, mower deck, weights, sleeve hitch, 3pt hitch, front end loader, backhoe, and more. Ready made or homemade.
MattA United States of America

Re: Well it looks like my Berco needs some work

Post by MattA »

DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:39 pm
MattA wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:39 pm
Eugen wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:27 am @MattA I'm assuming those are the excentric tightening bearings in the first picture? Did they seize and turned the shaft down from friction? What are you going to do about the shaft? With access to a lathe and welder you could add material and then turn it to size I suppose.
I think the bearings are eccentric like the snowcasters but I have not confirmed this. Neither bearing was seized. The bearing by the pulley? has a little vibration as you turn it. The gear side? is nice and smooth like new. The gear side bearing was missing 1 of 2 set screws. Its possible the bearings may not have been tightened down by the previous owner/factory.

The parts for the Berco are still available from Salempwr and Lawn care distributors. I got a quote from lawn care distributors at about 30% discount over Salempwr. https://www.lawncaredistributors.com/parts/

Input shaft ~$22
Input shaft bearings ~$13 for both
Tensioner + the spring ~$9
Either shaft key $18 :cuss:

I'm debating buying the key that looks a little worn. Any feedback is appreciated...

Berco manuals are attached for anyone interested.
Buy key stock and make your own . YES replace them , just need a hack saw and bench grinder .
Salempwr was a little more expensive for the shaft , bearings and tensioner /spring . But what was there price on shaft keys . Does it balance out ?? They do , do a lot to help us with repairs .
They were both $18+ for the keys. I've bought most of my parts over the years from salempwr. Bob at casegardentractorparts got my last order since he supports us on this site.

I measured the keys and the key slots tonight. The gear side is pretty worn and has a decent amount of play. I will replace the key. The pulley side is good and tight. I actually had to heat the pulley a little bit to remove it.
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@MattA I wounder if Bob can price match .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by MattA »

I finally had some time to get the input shaft rebuilt today. New shaft, new bearings and new chain side key. Assembly went ok. The bearings don't appear to be eccentric. They just have two set screws... so I just locked them down. Any feedback would be appreciated.
20230128_142248.jpg
20230128_134435.jpg
I also replaced both spring loaded plastic chain tensioners. These would be a good mod for older Case snowcasters.
Last edited by MattA on Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingersoll 4016
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I'm sorry about the attachment problem, there was a limit reached but now it should be fixed.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

MattA wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:32 pm I finally had some time to get the input shaft rebuilt today. New shaft, new bearings and new chain side key. Assembly went ok. The bearings don't appear to be eccentric. They just have two set screws... so I just locked them down. Any feedback would be appreciated.

20230128_142248.jpg
20230128_134435.jpg

I also replaced both spring loaded plastic chain tensioners. These would be a good mod for older Case snowcasters.
I know it is a pain , but if you can take it back apart you will see where the set screws have bit into the shaft . Taking a drill bit the same size as the set screw and drill a small pocket for the set screw to seat into . That will keep the shaft from spinning in the bearing if the screws ever come loose .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:15 am
MattA wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:32 pm I finally had some time to get the input shaft rebuilt today. New shaft, new bearings and new chain side key. Assembly went ok. The bearings don't appear to be eccentric. They just have two set screws... so I just locked them down. Any feedback would be appreciated.

20230128_142248.jpg
20230128_134435.jpg

I know it is a pain , but if you can take it back apart you will see where the set screws have bit into the shaft . Taking a drill bit the same size as the set screw and drill a small pocket for the set screw to seat into . That will keep the shaft from spinning in the bearing if the screws ever come loose .
I have done something similar but for a different reason ;) When torqued down the set screws deform the shaft / raise some material at the contact point. So the tight fitting bearing needs to be beaten past that point when it comes time for disassembly. I lightly set the screws to mark the shaft, then a sharpie to mark (+) the shaft and bearing location. Then disassemble and grind flats 1/16-1/8" deep on the shaft were the screw will bite into the shaft.

:cheers:
Gordy

Post by MattA »

This is what the tensioners look like. These are the old worn ones. The tensioners bolt in place from one side or bolt all the way through with a spring and run less than $10.
20230128_145657.jpg
20230128_145648.jpg
Input chain tensioner. Looks like it could use a washer to shift it over.
Input chain tensioner. Looks like it could use a washer to shift it over.
Auger chain tensioner looking down from the top.
Auger chain tensioner looking down from the top.
Spring.
Spring.
Ingersoll 4016

Post by MattA »

Gordy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:38 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:15 am

20230128_142248.jpg
20230128_134435.jpg

I have done something similar but for a different reason ;) When torqued down the set screws deform the shaft / raise some material at the contact point. So the tight fitting bearing needs to be beaten past that point when it comes time for disassembly. I lightly set the screws to mark the shaft, then a sharpie to mark (+) the shaft and bearing location. Then disassemble and grind flats 1/16-1/8" deep on the shaft were the screw will bite into the shaft.

:cheers:
Gordy
Another option May be to take the set screws out one at a time and use a pointed punch to deform the shaft.

The input pulley and output gear set screw points are drilled into the shaft.
Ingersoll 4016