Gas Tank Repair

Everything about Kohler, Onan, B&S, Honda, and other engines.
FUTZ Canada

Gas Tank Repair

Post by FUTZ »

I'm in a bad state of affairs!

Trying to get tractors ready for Georgian Bay Steam show!

This is the gas tank from my MTD990. It was leaking at the outlet nipple. The PO put something around the nipple to stop it leaking, I think J-B Weld, but upon close inspection, he completely missed the tear just off the tank surface on the nipple itself. But man, did that J_B Weld stick on. I though, instead of repairing nipple, to cut it off and seal it, and some how provide another nipple. I found this motorcycle tire valve stem. I wanted to cut the nipple off at the tear, leaving a stubby end to melt into the hole, but my neighbour was "helping me" and while I was looking for a drill bit, he cut the nipple off flush with tank bottom, leaving a bigger hole to repair and no material to melt in. I put epoxy over the melted plastic.

I see if it leaks today, before installing in tractor.
image.png
Eugen Canada

Re: Gas Tank Repair

Post by Eugen »

As long as it holds!

I once had a plastic elbow nipple broken at the end of a 2 inch coolant hose connecting to the radiator. BMWs have a lot of plastic in the engine bay. No problem when new, but with age that plastic was quite brittle. Regular epoxy didn't hold well, there's some pressure that builds up in the cooling system. Then I got the j-b weld specifically made for plastic. That held strong for the next few years until the car went to a new home.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

What kind of epoxy did you use?
The tank on my 648 had a hole in it too. I had a friend braze a patch over it. It doesn’t look great but it’s on the bottom of the tank, and more importantly it does not leak!
FUTZ Canada

Post by FUTZ »

It's holding; even the threaded valve stem. We'll see in six months.
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

Hi, I thought this forum was for Case/Ingersoll garden tractors? Never seen a gas tank like this on any breed of these tractors? Am I missing something here guys?
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

ras101 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:12 pm Hi, I thought this forum was for Case/Ingersoll garden tractors? Never seen a gas tank like this on any breed of these tractors? Am I missing something here guys?
With respect I would like to say that indeed, this is a forum for Colt, Case, and Ingersoll tractors. But more than that, it is a community of people who are enthusiasts of these tractors. In my opinion we must accept the reality that people have more than one brand of tractors. I would like us to stay friendly no matter what subject we are talking about. All the best and great day everyone! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

Eugen, Not trying to be difficult here at all. I support the notion that we help all comers too. I am in some respects trying to help here and get the originator to move this request to a forum/site that could help them. I stand corrected though as there might possibly members that can/could help too..

Ray
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

Case and Ingersoll tractors use plastic hydraulic and fuel tanks. To me, brand does not make a difference as this is my go to site for how to and what works or doesn't work. My vote is to leave the post here. I have been watching this thread with interest because it is dealing with hard to find plastic tanks.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:12 pm Hi, I thought this forum was for Case/Ingersoll garden tractors? Never seen a gas tank like this on any breed of these tractors? Am I missing something here guys?
Any knowledge learned and shared is welcome . Regardless of where it is learned , it can applied to our passions . For some of us ,our passion is not just CCI. GTs . Although it is a major part of it .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder