Onan B43M_GA016-3822A

Everything about Kohler, Onan, B&S, Honda, and other engines.
ras101 United States of America

Onan B43M_GA016-3822A

Post by ras101 »

Hi, so if you guys have been following along with my purchase (we some of you will think "stealing" a 1979 446 for $200 from a neighbor. I know from the start that there had been an slight oil leak from the front end but over the winter this got worse and now it really needs to fixed. All the tins are still on this engine... I mean ALL the tins! it is definitely coming from the front end, just so you know this engine starts within 2 turns of the engine from cold even at 5 degrees F!. Can't see any smoke either!. So with oil on the ground, and a need to check oil levels before use, and all the tins still on too, so no access right now to the engine.. What should I really be looking for? I was told there was no oil seen in the air filter.. so where should I concentrate my efforts/
mendonsy United States of America

Re: Onan B43M_GA016-3822A

Post by mendonsy »

Is the oil coming from the B43M or from the oil cooler in front of the engine? The two hoses going to the oil cooler do have a tendency to develop leaks.

Post by ras101 »

Yes, the engine is losing the oil and needs too up not the hydraulics.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@ras101 Can you take a pic. of the area on the tractor the oil leak is coming from for reference.

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Just a few thoughts.
Are you basing that it's coming from the engine because the engine needs oil to be added?
Is it possible that you have two things going on, the Onan is using a little oil and as mentioned, a hydraulic leak. Onan using a little oil not uncommon.
A few oil drips go a long way on the floor. :45: a table spoon of oil looks like a lot on the floor, but won't show on the dipstick.

Got worse over winter, cold and the hydraulic hoses bring on drips. (I know after last winter) :afraid: fan blows some oil back on engine.

I think a good investigation is the beginning. :letmesee: :creeper: get under it and do a good wipe down and make sure before you start tearing the engine down.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:

Post by ras101 »

Thanks Tim, I will try to take some pics but first I will need to pull the deck off and I am still suffering from 2 broken ribs from a fall a few weeks ago too. I also owe you guys some pics of the GT anyway so a good time to take those too.

Little more info thou first :

Engine:
When I shut the engine down after I got the GT home I checked the oil level on the dip stick and noted the level
There is quite a lot of oil on the deck and ground after only a few days (less than a week).
There is no smoke when starting and although I agree these engines use some oil the amount of oil missing when checking the engine oil level is significant even after just 1 week standing.
I also checked the level in the hydraulic tank too on shut down.

Hydraulics:
I have checked the hydraulic hoses and clamps to the oil cooler and they don't appear to be leaking. But I did clean down the hoses with a shop rag too.

From the amount of oil on the front of the deck (little to none on the rear) and on the ground forward of deck the oil seems to be coming from the front of the engine.

Ray
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I don't know but the obvious to check would be the oil pan. Next the crankshaft seal. Just my 2c :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Some of those oil pans have an oil drain plugs in multiple locations (some time underneath ) . If this is the case , it may ave a loose drain plug on the bottom of the pan . A mirror and flash-lite with the deck down maybe able to have a look under with out removall for now .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

ras101 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:54 am Thanks Tim, I will try to take some pics but first I will need to pull the deck off and I am still suffering from 2 broken ribs from a fall a few weeks ago too. I also owe you guys some pics of the GT anyway so a good time to take those too.

Little more info thou first :

Engine:
When I shut the engine down after I got the GT home I checked the oil level on the dip stick and noted the level
There is quite a lot of oil on the deck and ground after only a few days (less than a week).
There is no smoke when starting and although I agree these engines use some oil the amount of oil missing when checking the engine oil level is significant even after just 1 week standing.
I also checked the level in the hydraulic tank too on shut down.

Hydraulics:
I have checked the hydraulic hoses and clamps to the oil cooler and they don't appear to be leaking. But I did clean down the hoses with a shop rag too.

From the amount of oil on the front of the deck (little to none on the rear) and on the ground forward of deck the oil seems to be coming from the front of the engine.

Ray
Ah, those ribs are probably a little tender, :(( you might want to give it a little time :snail: or find a little help with getting the deck off. :cheers:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:

Post by ras101 »

Thanks for that Tim. Thanks for thinking about my ribs!! yeah they still hurt after 3 weeks and if I just move awkwardly I can be in pain for days too.
I think the first thing I need to do is get the deck off, perhaps I can get my son to do that for me. I have a tractor lift so getting the front of GT in the air is not a problem so that will definitely be my starting point from there. I will keep you guys informed as I progress this.

Ray