New to me: Kubota D650 15HP

Everything about Kohler, Onan, B&S, Honda, and other engines.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: New to me: Kubota D650 15HP

Post by JSinMO »

@thebuildist I don’t know of a way to keep the smell off of your clothes.

The gloves are a good idea. And maybe look into some of these Tyvek coveralls.
IMG_5053.png
Just throw them away after your done.
I’ve used them before and they work pretty well but they are hot to wear.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I darn near got exiled with them. :wife: :wife: :wife:/quote]
:rofl:
I am not overly fond of it either . For me and especially the :wife: it is burnt gear oil . That Bob is a whole other level of smell that you can't get rid of . Being a wrench turner for 30 plus years I have rebuilt many of rear axles and there were times that the :wife: made me sleep on the couch . :violin:
nitrate gloves and a Tyvek monkey suit will help , but like Jeff said they are hot to ware . But wurst of all is that there is only one place for your own personal body aromas to leave the suit and that is through the neck opening . :barf: :))
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I agree with the tyvek suit idea. I use them for thevery dirty jobs. I also use to use them back in the day whenI only had a walk behind snowblower. It kept me warm and dry at the same time. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Nitrile gloves and the Tyvek suit are pretty fool proof (but warm)

if it's just the diesel fumes on your clothes a dedicated pair of regular cloth coveralls might be enough protection. My laundry protocol with really oily / stinky clothes was presoak for a day in a bucket full of simple green / water mixture followed by one or two runs through the washing machine with extra laundry soap and a half cup of borax powder to kill the smell of the simple green... works ok for "work clothes" and if they weren't "work clothes" before, they probably will be afterwards... :giggle:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Sounds like great advice.

I already have a tyvek coveralls that I bought a while back and just stuck in the trunk of the wife's car in case I ever need to change a tire and I'm not dressed for it.

So I'll get those out and give it a shot. I don't like working in gloves. And I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like working in coveralls. But if it'll help, it'll be well worth it!

And@DavidBarkey I'm sure you're right. The molybdenum in gear oil smells overpowering when it's not burnt. I can only imagine what it must be like after it's burnt.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I wrote a fairly long reply and lost it when the browser page got refreshed somehow :headbash:.

Anywho, from my limited experience with small diesel engines, these things need attention for starting: fuel shutoff valve needs 12v continuously, short battery cable bolted directly as opposed to jumper cables, and 20 seconds of juice to the glow plugs before cranking. Pump not necessary if diesel comes from above the engine. One of my diesels would not start with jumper cables, periid. Looking forward to seeing it running!

I too dislike strongly the smell of all fuels, and engine oil, and exhaust fumes. :cheers:
Case 444, 644
Kubota B26
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

If your looking for relief from breathing the exhaust fumes, I found my 3M paint respirator worked great while I was attempting to tune my vanguards carb and governor.
Ingersoll 4016

Post by thebuildist »

I got my new electric fuel pump and combo fuel filter/separator installed. While I was at it, I ordered some 1/4" steel line and a double flaring tool, so that they're piped together properly.

Fuel priming up to the point of the injector pump wend quickly and easily.

Hooked up the battery, turned it over 4 or 5 cycles, and still no fuel up to the injectors.

So I took off the cover that contains the engine shutoff lever, to confirm that the throttle/shutoff rack slides freely. (Thanks, YouTube!) and: it's locked solid. So I'll have to pull the injector pump and see if I can free it up.

But, one step at a time, steady as she goes. Unless I hit "a wall", I figure I'll have it running in a couple weeks or so.

Bob

Post by thebuildist »

Well, now I've had the privilege of tearing down and (hopefully) re-assembling an injector pump.

I didn't enjoy it. My British friends would call it "fiddly." Very fiddly.

I couldn't find precisely the correct manual or video for it, but I watched a couple that were consistent enough that I was able to apply the knowledge to this one.

It turns out that each of the 3 "pumping units" are actually small (5/32" or so) precision ground pins reciprocating inside precision honed sleeves. The pin is the piston, and the sleeve is the cylinder.
image.png
The pin has a vertical slot (think keyway) and the sleeve has a hole in its "cylinder wall" near its midpoint. So if the pin is rotated to a certain position in the sleeve, then the "keyway" slot can draw fuel through the cylinder wall hole, and with each stroke a bit of that fuel will be "pushed" upward to the injector. But if it's rotated to a different position, then the keyway is away from the hole in the cylinder wall, and no fuel is pumped.

So the volume of fuel is controlled by rotating that pin.

The pin is indexed inside a gear-toothed collar.
image.png
And moving the control rack rotates that collar.
image.png
So sliding the rack rotates the pins, which causes them to pumpeither a little or a lot of fuel.

But those 1 inch long pins sitting in those 1 inch long sleeves, with maybe a thousandth of clearance were very solidly glued in place. They couldn't move up or down, they couldn't rotate. So the geared collars couldn't rotate, so the rack couldn't slide.

I had to drive the pins down out of the sleeves with a punch. (Delicately). Cleaned everything up, washed it in gasoline, lubed it all up with wd-40, and reassembled everything. Now the pins reciprocate and/or rotate freely. Rack slides effortlessly.

It'll probably be Thursday before I can put it all back together and confirm it pumps when the engine turns over.

Assuming it does, I expect to have a runner!

Bob
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Congratulations on your first Injection pump rebuild... :worship:

As a side note before you give it it's first start up make sure you have something you can use to cover the air intake to smother the engine - just in case there any issues with the fuel rack getting stuck at full throttle, every diesel shop I've worked in has a story of a rebuilt injection pump with a stuck fuel rack that couldn't be shut down because it was instantly locked at full throttle once it started... :pullhair:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)