Oil Filter Examination

Everything about Kohler, Onan, B&S, Honda, and other engines.
MattA United States of America

Oil Filter Examination

Post by MattA »

About a month ago I changed the oil on my wifes 2015 sonata with 1.6L turbo 168K miles, my 2017 sonata with 2L hybrid 118K miles and my Ingersoll 4016 with vanguard engine with just over 300 hours in that order. After draining out the oil pan, I found some fine metal shavings. Enough to cover my finger tip. I assumed it was from the 2017 sonata... because the engine is noisy when cold, has had previous excessive oil consumption issues and is part of a recall for rod bearings along with 5.5 million other Hyundai 4 cylinders.

So I bought this inexpensive tool to cut open all three oil filters:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175351273030?i ... SwlkRizoAC
Plenty of videos on how to use it on youtube. Essentially it works like a pipe cutter. Turn the adjustment handle 1/8 turn or so, spin the oil filter a revolution or so and repeat until the oil filter shell is cut off. Just don't spin it by the adjustment handle. Works great. Certainly a messy process even after letting the oil filters drain for a few days. The oil filter media then has to be cut off the filter assembly for examination. Examination showed it was not my POS Hyundai ticking time bomb but my tractor. Its got 300 or so hours on it and for the 250 hours I've owned it, its received yearly oil changes with full synthetic with approximately 40-50 hours on the oil. Engine oil is always topped off and the engine does not make any abnormal noises. I'm not sure what amount of metal in the oil filter is considered normal but I assumed none. I'm just glad its not the car I drive to work :cheers:

Metal flakes are dead center in the pictures. I found probably 20 times as much in the oil pan where I had drained out the filters.
Filter2.jpg
Filter1.jpg
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Oil Filter Examination

Post by DavidBarkey »

Is the material magnetic ? or not
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by MattA »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:14 am Is the material magnetic ? or not
David the larger flakes were magnetic. The magnet had trouble picking up the very small pieces. Not sure if the small pieces are aluminum or just embedded into the filter media. Magnet material could be pretty much anything but the engine block. I did use a decently strong magnet.
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

MattA wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 pm
David the larger flakes were magnetic. The magnet had trouble picking up the very small pieces. Not sure if the small pieces are aluminum or just embedded into the filter media. Magnet material could be pretty much anything but the engine block. I did use a decently strong magnet.
Have you noticed a change in valve lash from spec. Cam and lifters can ware in those things . This is the most likely place for such material , but the amount is small and if you have not had to correct the valve lash then i would say the ware at this point is minimal .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by MattA »

DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:39 am
MattA wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 pm
Have you noticed a change in valve lash from spec. Cam and lifters can ware in those things . This is the most likely place for such material , but the amount is small and if you have not had to correct the valve lash then i would say the ware at this point is minimal .
I checked the valve lash recently. 0.005". Spec is 0.004" to 0.006".
Ingersoll 4016