Diesel vs gasoline

Everything about Kohler, Onan, B&S, Honda, and other engines.
propane1 Canada

Re: Diesel vs gasoline

Post by propane1 »

Eugen it says on tractordata that it’s a compact utility tractor. Who would know if that’s correct or not.? But in those days of 1985, I don’t think the title of subcompact tractor was born yet. This ford is no bigger or heavier than a modern day subcompact. Weight is around 1450 lbs , bare tractor.

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I’ll try not to get upset Eugen. But I might. :giggle: :giggle: I’m just here for the discussion too. I’m not here trying to say what’s best for anybody. I’m sorta wondering why a diesel makes more torque. Than a gasoline engine of same hp. Sons ford 1210 shibaura diesel engine was just used as an example. And as I said before, diesel is 39 cents a litre more here than gasoline. So not much savings there burning diesel. Normally, I think, Diesel engines are more money to get serviced and maintained. Stuff for them costs more, their fluid capacity’s are bigger. Sons ford shibaura diesel is small enough that it’s not much different in cost to service it than a kohler K gasoline engine. Any way, Diesel engines make more power and that’s the way it is. Dump truck, tractor trailer, construction equipment and modern farm tractors all use Diesel engines.

Quite a ramble.

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Eugen I hope to have the "Bride of Frankenstein" with the Kubota 2 cyl. diesel in it operational this year . That is assuming she doesn't try to clobber me over the head again . Women , dam things are dangerous . The other "Frankie 2" with he Perkins 3cyl. D is on the back burner for now until get some other stuff done .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
dhitching United States of America

Post by dhitching »

As a note, if you want to do a diesel conversion make sure you're getting a 3600rpm capable one! Your blade tip speed and any hydraulic work you want to do will be severely hampered by a 2700rpm engine for instance. :snail: :snail:
6018, 4020, and whatever other tractor I just impulse bought
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Price of diesel fuel has dropped here and gasoline is up.
First time in years that diesel is less than gasoline. .2 cents cheaper, per litre. Sure not much, but cheaper. :giggle:
So I would say now, because of the prices, Diesel engine would be cheaper to operate.
Sons Ford 1210 tractor he bought in February was filled with diesel then. We still have not put any fuel in it since. Granted it’s not used a lot but it was doing snow duty. It’s been hauling wood in the trailer, we hauled a junk Toyota Land Cruiser with it Saturday, he and his son go for drives in it. I’ve used it a bit too.
So it’s our first diesel son and I used of our own. Had no idea what it would be like on fuel. Seems to be very good.

Fuel ramble. :D

Noel :wave:
dhitching United States of America

Post by dhitching »

A diesel engine is almost guaranteed to be better on fuel than a gasoline equivalent. Not only are you getting the benefit of the energy density (as discussed earlier in the thread) but you also get rid of the throttle plate!

If you think about it, even at 3600rpm if you're not at max load (with your governor wide open), your throttle blade is still partially closed and you're making manifold vacuum.

Let's assume an 18hp or 20hp Onan (B48M, P220, etc) which is a 47.7in^3 engine. Let's say you're 3600rpm doing some work (like mowing) but you're not fully taxing the engine. So let's say you're making ~6 inches of mercury for manifold vacuum (as opposed to 0 inhg manifold vacuum if your throttle was wide open, or ~18 inhg at idle). In addition to doing the work of mowing, your engine is also operating as a 50cfm 3psi vacuum pump, what a waste!

Diesels on the other hand have the advantage of just being able to reduce fuel to control engine speed, so they don't have to worry about wasted work pumping vacuum.

That being said... unless you're specifically mowing acres of lawn at a time and fuel efficiency is a big deal to you, for most users their gas engine will outperform a diesel (in a Case/Ingersoll) due to the rpm limitations on the diesel side. Diesels are still cool though, and the fuel efficiency is nice. :cheers:
Attachments
image.png
6018, 4020, and whatever other tractor I just impulse bought
Seabee United States of America

Post by Seabee »

I have a Cummins in my 2002 Dodge 2500. Over a quarter of a million miles on it. I love it and probably won't own another pickup in my life. I like the 36 gallon fuel tank, and like the fact that I can drive it for 6-7 hours without having to stop for fuel if it is unloaded. This engine was just before they started to load them up with pollution control.

Prior truck was 1500 GMC with a 4.3 engine in it that would get 18.1 MPG unloaded at best. It was a standard PU. The Dodge is a heavy 3/4 with the extended cab and full bed, and unloaded often sees 20-21 MPG. So lets call the the efficiency of the diesel engine. When I first bought the truck it was 5000-6000 dollars extra compared to the same Dodge truck with gas. And Diesel was cheaper than gasoline.

With the price increases in diesel since then and the increased maintence of the newer engines, I would be hard pressed to justify a new diesel truck unless I was doing hard pulling like I was doing at the time I bought the original diesel. At the time I was often pulling loads of 15,000-18,000# in addition to truck and trailer weight, and it had the torque to handle it.

I would probably never use enough fuel through a garden tractor to justify putting a diesel conversion into the tractor! Even if it was more effecient !

Bill Moyer
Bill Moyer
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Gasoline is $1.64 per litre and Diesel is $2.14 per litre here now.

Noel