Onan intake valve seat

Everything about Kohler, Onan, B&S, Honda, and other engines.
Jancoe United States of America

Onan intake valve seat

Post by Jancoe »

So I have a p216 with a loose intake valve seat on oil filter side. Tractor was bought 3-4 years ago. It's my 4016ps project. First thing I did when I pulled it in the garage was a compression test and oil filer side 50psi. Pulled head and found valve not seated to seat. Pulled valve cover and a little inspection found the seat loose. Stop into our towns engine machine shop. Was told they have done this repair several times. Was told a week I'd have it back. Stop in 4 weeks later and not done. Was told to stop in before the end of week and it would be done. Gave them the benefit of the doubt and just stopped in today end of day which gave them a few extra days and found he dropped it on the ground. Valve not seated all the way.Not properly machined into block. Grabbed it unfinished. Still needed to be machined to valve. Got it home and rough measuring with my dial caliper makes this seat .20 taller than the other side. This seat is sticking past the face of the head surface and the seat isnt in fully pressed into block. Made some calls tonight and talked to a few very knowledgeable men on onans and who are current onan dealers and builder/stores. Lined me up with a machine shop that has done this work on onans for 30 years gonna give them a call in the am and see if this is repairable.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jancoe on Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spike188 Canada

Re: Onan intake valve seat

Post by Spike188 »

Evan, I feel sad for you. It is bad enough that their timline was poor, but thee strikes? It makes me wonder how many other jobs they have botched.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Yikes, mark them off the list of any future business. I can feel your frustration. I’ve had a couple of situations where I’ve taken my item off their work bench because of this kind of thing, but I don’t t think my stuff was in worse shape than when I brought it to them! I sure hope it can be repaired. I don’t think I’d be ashamed to sent them the bill for the repair!
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

That's really unfortunate :cuss: - Hopefully the next machine shop can fix their work...
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

By the shaved metal between the base of the hole and the vale seat,it looks like they drove it in cockeyed. If that was mine :cop: :cop: :cop: might have shown up.

:cheers:
Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That's unfortunate Evan, but I truly believe that it can be fixed right. They should certainly not have charged you for this. I would at least talk to them and let them know this is not right. You can also look at it this way: you are spared of a possible engine job done by them, which can't be seen but it's botched, only to have the engine blow later. Everything happens for a reason, is my belief.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

That really sucks Even . Make you ask how they could stay in business with shotty work like that . I have to agree with Gordy .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

I'm still in awe at what this guy tried to pull. I'm disappointed I let it sit with him this long and continued to let him practice damaging my engine. He denied dropping the engine on the ground. Said he hit it with a hammer. Caught him in multiple lies. Said he did another Intake valve seat on another p series 2 weeks prior to my second "how's my engine going" visit. I took my engine and parts which took a bit to locate. I've never seen a sloppy shop as this. I knew better. So I loaded it in my truck and left. But before I left I gave him my piece of mind. Good news is I found a reliable machine shop in Midland, MI. Central Auto Parts/Auto Value. They are an hour south of me. Guy I spoke with has extensive knowledge of these engines and has performed countless valve seat repairs to onans. Said he will be able to replace the seat and fix what this guy did. I will be sending this guy the bill when I get it repaired from the new machine shop.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk