seized Mikuni carb

Everything about Kohler, Onan, B&S, Honda, and other engines.
DavidBarkey Canada

seized Mikuni carb

Post by DavidBarkey »

So ,the other day when I went to move the old skidoo out of the portable garage to move it . The throttle was stuck . So Frankie to the rescue . Dragged it out and picked up with the forks . Got chance to look at it today . And guess what :cuss: little creature was using it as a outhouse :cuss: . It is bad enough that the carb throttle slide is stuck , but I can't even get it off right now because the of the way the cable hooks up to it inside . As far as I can figure right now , is that the acidic nature of the urine has welded the slide to the housing . I cleaned it up the best I could and is soaking it with penetrating fluid . I may have to get another carb for it if I can't get it to free up . Any suggestions ??
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Re: seized Mikuni carb

Post by Eugen »

I don't really know Dave, maybe a little heat?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Weasel pi$$ to counteract mouse pi$$. Hope it helps Dave, I don't have any other ideas. :106:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Wish I could help. I’ve had good luck soaking things with Seafoam Deep Creep or ATF. If the normal soaking, tapping, heating doesn’t free it up Amazon lists several Mikuni carburetors for $50 or less not sure which one you need.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mikuni+carbu ... ptance_1_6

I assume they are made in China. I needed a carburetor for my Honda ATV. $250 from Honda, $30 from Amazon. I went with the Amazon one. It’s been on the bike for several years now with no issues runs great.
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

I've been wanting to buy an Ultrasonic cleaner. Especially to clean carbs when gunked up. I think something like this would be handy for alot of projects and solve your problem.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Finally figured out how to get the carb off. I have tried drowning it in hot soapy water , CLR with no luck. But sure is clean looking . Now I am trying break cleaner . It does not appear to be corroded but "glued " So trying to find what will dissolve the dried urine.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:35 pm Finally figured out how to get the carb off. I have tried drowning it in hot soapy water , CLR with no luck. But sure is clean looking . Now I am trying break cleaner . It does not appear to be corroded but "glued " So trying to find what will dissolve the dried urine.
In my poorly informed opinion it's not necessarily the urine that got it stuck. This happens if the gasket was not used and dissimilar metals create a junction like a weld. Another possibility is someone before you used gasket maker silicone/goo. Maybe the rubber hammer is your friend here. :109: :smash:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@Eugen last post on this got me thinking of galvanic corrosion although there is no electrical charge in this case, the dissimilar metals were soaked in a weak caustic solution. Trying to think out side the box. What about putting it in the freezer for an hour or so? Maybe the metals will cool at a different rate and separate. Maybe some heat then the freezer? What would happen if you soaked it in drain cleaner to try to break down the bond?
I have put engine sleeves and other parts in the freezer to shrink them just enough so they slip into place easily.

I don’t know, just a few thoughts that came to mind. Hope you get it apart.