Page 1 of 1

Plasma cutter

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:19 pm
by Eugen
A new gizmo made it to the pile of junk in my so called shop. The cut50 plasma cutter.

Will report later on it. Barely was able to test basic functionality cutting some 1/8 plate.

0F3CA316-55C8-40A9-9D8E-D7D900337DC5.jpeg

Re: Plasma cutter

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:34 pm
by JSinMO
Looking forward to your updates. That is something I would like to add to my shop too.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:49 pm
by thebuildist
I have one like it and it works pretty well. It's not quite as capable and flexible as the cutting torch, but it is a lot cheaper to run, because you don't have to buy gases.

I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Bob

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:21 pm
by Spike188
I agree with Bob on the operating cost compared to a torch. The plasma requires a steadier hand and is not as forgiving when slag builds up. I salvaged one off of a cnc plasma table that was being scrapped. The hand unit was the only cost involved in converting it.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:43 pm
by propane1
Be a nice tool to have. Gas torches is all I have.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:58 pm
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:43 pm Be a nice tool to have. Gas torches is all I have.

Noel
I got a bottle of B size of acetylene and one about the same size of oxygen, an old torch, new regulators and gauges, even with spark arrestor. I am honestly afraid to use it on account it'll explode. :109:

I meant to buy a plasma cutter for the last couple of years, and my wife told me several times to get a new one. But I tend to be very cheap about certain things and just delayed and delayed, could not get myself to fork out the $300 for a new one. This one showed up on marketplace very cheap and right next to my sister's place, just couldn't pass. It's supposed to cut up to 1/4 thickness, we'll see.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:15 pm
by propane1
A buddy of mine has a truck repair shop, he has one of those plasma cutters. I think he said it will do 3/4”, maybe 1”.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:18 pm
by Eugen
Propane57 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:15 pm A buddy of mine has a truck repair shop, he has one of those plasma cutters. I think he said it will do 3/4”, maybe 1”.

Noel
my guess is he didn't pay 50 buck for that one :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:12 pm
by propane1
I’d say your right Eugen.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:38 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:58 pm
Propane57 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:43 pm Be a nice tool to have. Gas torches is all I have.

Noel
I got a bottle of B size of acetylene and one about the same size of oxygen, an old torch, new regulators and gauges, even with spark arrestor. I am honestly afraid to use it on account it'll explode. :109:

I wouldn’t worry about it exploding. You’ve got new regulators and gauges. The old torch should be fine. The only thing you didn’t mention were the hoses. If you have and question about them then I would replace them. I have seen fires start due to poorly cared for hoses.

I guarantee you almost every farm in North America has a torch set. And I’d be willing to bet there are a lot of them that are much more sketchy then what you have.

The fire wrench sure comes in handy, a nut or bolt can’t be stuck if it’s liquid!

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:55 pm
by DavidBarkey

Noel
Same here .

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:11 pm
by Eugen
JSinMO wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:38 pm I wouldn’t worry about it exploding. You’ve got new regulators and gauges. The old torch should be fine. The only thing you didn’t mention were the hoses. If you have and question about them then I would replace them. I have seen fires start due to poorly cared for hoses.

I guarantee you almost every farm in North America has a torch set. And I’d be willing to bet there are a lot of them that are much more sketchy then what you have.

The fire wrench sure comes in handy, a nut or bolt can’t be stuck if it’s liquid!
Got new Linde hoses too, forgot to say. Thanks for this, it makes sense. Perhaps all I need is just to use it and get used to it.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:44 am
by propane1
I’ve been using torches since I was 14 or so.

Noel

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:18 pm
by Eugen
As I posted in the other thread, I found a problem with this plasma cutter. What seems to be an output circuit board had a bunch of power resistors burnt. Could not find the schematic diagram but they seemed to be going to ground so I figured about 500 to 1500 ohms would be fine. After wasting about an hour looking for my box of power resistors I just gave up and ordered a pack of 10W 3kOhm resistors. That was three days ago and the resistors arrived yesterday. Being Sunday I did not plan to fix the cutter, but at some point during the day I felt the need for some air and went to bring the resistors to the shop. Well... what a slippery slide. I ended up installing them in the cutter, replacing the inner air line, and then I could not stop my curiosity and went ahead and tested it on some 1/4" plate.

https://youtu.be/yAiDTqL19NI

IMG_1647.jpeg
Empty spot where the 3W resistors were.
Empty spot where the 3W resistors were.
Two new 3k 10W resistors in parallel.
Two new 3k 10W resistors in parallel.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:35 pm
by THEOTHERHALF
I have a plasma cutter, it cuts up to 3/16 real good, get in to 1/4'' and it works it alot harder, it runs on 120volt and makes its own air, it has a piece that goes on the tip that places the tip end the right distance from the metal, really like using this when i can, but would never trade my torch for one, just need to get it back from a friend forgot about it till i seen this. looks like yours has compressed air line feed to it. you sure run into some good deals. happy cutting!

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:04 pm
by DavidBarkey
Nicely done Eugen .

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:12 pm
by Harry
You the man Eugen. Replacing electrical components in a circuit board is an acquired skill set. I applaud your ingenuity. Do I own a plasma? Of course I do. I had one for sometime which I purchased off CL. I too do not like to buy things for top dollar. I did pay up $800 for the one I purchased because it was like brand new. It’s a Hypertherm which I believe is the company that pioneered plasma. It will cut 3/8” if I move slow enough. It needs an external air source but doesn’t need a plasma gas like argon to ignite the torch, like the industrial ones I used as a welder. I have an oxy acetlene torch set, but you can’t cut stainless steel with one. You need a plasma to cut stainless steel. Usually I drag the torch touching the metal surface of the metal I’m cutting. Then against a piece of bar stock to get a straight cut. It’s usually easier to maintain a constant travel that way so no slag buildup. I do not use it a lot but it sure makes fabrication work easier especially on SS. :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:36 pm
by thebuildist
Eugen, you've impressed me as usual. Very nicely done.

On a separate note, I recently replaced the handpiece/torch on my Cut50 plasma cutter with the "pilot arc" type. It essentially integrates it's own ground into the cone/tip, so when you pull the trigger it instantly becomes a little mini light saber. No fooling around on the workpiece trying to strike the arc. I find it WAY easier to accurately cut with, especially beginning a cut.

It was pretty cheap to do, something like $25 for a new torch and hose from AliExpress and only about a half an hour of fooling around getting the new hose attached to the end of the old hose. And now my hose is like 20 feet long, which is nicer too.

I also picked up a new set of consumables from Amazon, proper for this type of torch/handpiece. It was a little tricky to find the correct orifice size for the consumables, most of what Amazon sells are too large for this 50 amp unit. I can send the Aliexpress and Amazon links for anyone who's interested.

I got the whole idea from this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0pIlMyjm4s

Bob

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:41 pm
by Timj
:clap: :worship: nice job. :highfive:

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:58 pm
by Eugen
Thanks guys!

@THEOTHERHALF I tried mine on 120V and it only worked on very thin metal. This last test was on 240V and dialled up to the max 50A. I had to go slow on the 1/4 inch piece.

@thebuildist this cutter did not come with a gun so not knowing very well what I'm doing I ordered a PT31 torch from amazon, and set with lot of consumables. Doesn't have the pilot arc thingy, and that is bothering me a little. In fact before I fixed the machine I could start cutting but lost the plasma very quickly. For this test I ran a wire and connected it to the piece to cut, from the little knob next to ground. Still, not having good technique or something to hold the distance to the piece steady, the plasma did cut out more often than I wanted. I kinda hate buying another torch handle now, like the AG-60, but I guess I should.

@Harry the Hypertherm is being discussed widely on welding forums, indeed that's the real tool. This one is more of a toy, but a useful one.

I don't feel very comfortable using my oxyacetylene torch. I'm going to put it for sale soon.

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:15 am
by Harry
The Hypertherm set up I purchased second hand was slightly used by someone less than five miles from my house. The story he gave me was that he used it to cut chain. He fabricated brackets to hold punching bags and the chain was to hold the bag. He had the original cutting tip in the torch and a few new tips were included. It appeared to be in pristine condition. So I paid up for it and have been happy I did. The most I used it was to cut all the pieces out for a trenching bucket I built. That was fabricated with 3/8” and 1/4” plate. I also purchased tips from Amazon which work nicely. :peace: Harry

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:02 pm
by Harry
Pics of Hypertherm plasma. :peace: Harry

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:25 am
by Toolslinger
Sure nice to have a reputable name on the plasma. I have a Lotos, which is right in the same league as the Cut 50 units. Probably all the same internals, made in the same factory, with a different paint job... When researching them, I found post after post of people that had issues with loose connections internally, leading to problems. So first thing I did was open mine, and check all that. Found a couple that needed a tweak. It's been good to go since then. Eventually bought a longer torch, and ground, which really makes it easier to use.

We've got a really nice Miller at work, which is what finally pushed me over the edge to buy one. I've cut 1/2" cast iron with it, and it was amazing. My Lotos says it will cut 5/8 clean, and sever 3/4. There's no chance it would do that for long, if it did it at all. It doesn't seem to mind the 1/4", and odd 3/8" I've thrown at it though. It handles my needs for sure, but if I had to replace it, I'd be looking for something from one of the big commercial names, just for the sake of long term support. (if I had burned out parts on a board, I wouldn't know where to start)

While I tried O/A now and again, I never figured it out, and didn't have anyone that could teach me. So while I'd like to have that skill set, and the benifit of beaing able to really put heat in something now and again, it isn't likely in the cards. I got rid of the setup my father bought probably 30 years ago, and never actually used. It was well used then, and the tanks were from the 40's.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:39 am
by Harry
Toolslinger wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:25 am Sure nice to have a reputable name on the plasma. I have a Lotos, which is right in the same league as the Cut 50 units. Probably all the same internals, made in the same factory, with a different paint job... When researching them, I found post after post of people that had issues with loose connections internally, leading to problems. So first thing I did was open mine, and check all that. Found a couple that needed a tweak. It's been good to go since then. Eventually bought a longer torch, and ground, which really makes it easier to use.

We've got a really nice Miller at work, which is what finally pushed me over the edge to buy one. I've cut 1/2" cast iron with it, and it was amazing. My Lotos says it will cut 5/8 clean, and sever 3/4. There's no chance it would do that for long, if it did it at all. It doesn't seem to mind the 1/4", and odd 3/8" I've thrown at it though. It handles my needs for sure, but if I had to replace it, I'd be looking for something from one of the big commercial names, just for the sake of long term support. (if I had burned out parts on a board, I wouldn't know where to start)

While I tried O/A now and again, I never figured it out, and didn't have anyone that could teach me. So while I'd like to have that skill set, and the benifit of beaing able to really put heat in something now and again, it isn't likely in the cards. I got rid of the setup my father bought probably 30 years ago, and never actually used. It was well used then, and the tanks were from the 40's.
Toolslinger, many people think O&A is just for cutting. When I attended Hobart Welding School of Technology the first class everyone must take is O&A welding. The reason is to learn puddle control. O&A welding certainly is an art which is all about flame control. Too much heat and it melts through and to little you struggle to melt the base metal. O&A cutting is similar and most inexperienced turn the heat up too much. So when cutting the slag sticks to the base metal instead of just blowing through. O&A can also be used for heating as you mentioned but it can also be used for brazing. O&A is a very versatile process but in my opinion not a skill many become proficient at because other processes can be used in its place. For instance I use my TIG torch to braze and silver solder. For me using the foot pedal to control heat is easier than using O&A. Sorry for the morning ramble. :peace: Harry

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:07 am
by DavidBarkey
Harry wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:39 am
Toolslinger wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:25 am Sure nice to have a reputable name on the plasma. I have a Lotos, which is right in the same league as the Cut 50 units. Probably all the same internals, made in the same factory, with a different paint job... When researching them, I found post after post of people that had issues with loose connections internally, leading to problems. So first thing I did was open mine, and check all that. Found a couple that needed a tweak. It's been good to go since then. Eventually bought a longer torch, and ground, which really makes it easier to use.

Toolslinger, many people think O&A is just for cutting. When I attended Hobart Welding School of Technology the first class everyone must take is O&A welding. The reason is to learn puddle control. O&A welding certainly is an art which is all about flame control. Too much heat and it melts through and to little you struggle to melt the base metal. O&A cutting is similar and most inexperienced turn the heat up too much. So when cutting the slag sticks to the base metal instead of just blowing through. O&A can also be used for heating as you mentioned but it can also be used for brazing. O&A is a very versatile process but in my opinion not a skill many become proficient at because other processes can be used in its place. For instance I use my TIG torch to braze and silver solder. For me using the foot pedal to control heat is easier than using O&A. Sorry for the morning ramble. :peace: Harry
The first thing I learned to do in welding was O&A steel sheet metal with filler rod . I was not even a teenager when starting . Mom always was :cuss: me for steeling the "good wire coat hangers" . Started with stick on a Inchon 225 ac sparkler with 7014 and 6011 . Still have a set of tanks and a newer sparkler . :rofl: Never had formal training but picked a few things working with some preaty good welders over the years .

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:28 am
by Harry
David the training is great, but there is nothing better than working with knowledgeable skilled tradesmen. :peace: Harry

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:04 am
by RoamingGnome
@Eugen - Great job on repairing that circuit board, looks like you are going to have a lot of fun with that.
I am a little envious of all of you with plasma cutters and heavy duty welders - (I know I just have to be patient - my turn will come eventually) :)

I was self taught before going to trade school, got a couple of "learn to weld" books and with great trepidation started welding with no one looking over my shoulder... if anything, :wife: wanted to be as far away from a potential accident scene as possible.

It's been years now, but bought my little Lincoln 120 weld-pac when Costco actually sold them, and everything for the gas axe / hot wrench came from Princess. It was an advantage to have a little experience when I finally got "official' welding classes in trade school. Having someone to critique and explain your boo-boo's definitely speeds up the learning curve.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:29 pm
by JSinMO
I have been around welders and torch sets since I was little guy. That was always something broken on the farm. The problem was I never got to actually use them, that was always dad’s job. I guess in hindsight it gave me a really good familiarity and comfort level being around these things but no real practical experience. Now that it rests on my shoulders to do I jumped in with both feet! It sure can be aggravating! One time I can make a pretty weld the next time it’s pure chicken crap! Sometimes I can make a nice cut then others I’ll splatter slag all over! I figure practice will eventually make executable!

Great job getting it going @Eugen they are really handy!