Plasma cutter

Discussions with more focus on welding.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Plasma cutter

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:43 pm Be a nice tool to have. Gas torches is all I have.

Noel
Same here .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

JSinMO wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:38 pm I wouldn’t worry about it exploding. You’ve got new regulators and gauges. The old torch should be fine. The only thing you didn’t mention were the hoses. If you have and question about them then I would replace them. I have seen fires start due to poorly cared for hoses.

I guarantee you almost every farm in North America has a torch set. And I’d be willing to bet there are a lot of them that are much more sketchy then what you have.

The fire wrench sure comes in handy, a nut or bolt can’t be stuck if it’s liquid!
Got new Linde hoses too, forgot to say. Thanks for this, it makes sense. Perhaps all I need is just to use it and get used to it.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I’ve been using torches since I was 14 or so.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

As I posted in the other thread, I found a problem with this plasma cutter. What seems to be an output circuit board had a bunch of power resistors burnt. Could not find the schematic diagram but they seemed to be going to ground so I figured about 500 to 1500 ohms would be fine. After wasting about an hour looking for my box of power resistors I just gave up and ordered a pack of 10W 3kOhm resistors. That was three days ago and the resistors arrived yesterday. Being Sunday I did not plan to fix the cutter, but at some point during the day I felt the need for some air and went to bring the resistors to the shop. Well... what a slippery slide. I ended up installing them in the cutter, replacing the inner air line, and then I could not stop my curiosity and went ahead and tested it on some 1/4" plate.

https://youtu.be/yAiDTqL19NI

IMG_1647.jpeg
Empty spot where the 3W resistors were.
Empty spot where the 3W resistors were.
Two new 3k 10W resistors in parallel.
Two new 3k 10W resistors in parallel.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
THEOTHERHALF United States of America

Post by THEOTHERHALF »

I have a plasma cutter, it cuts up to 3/16 real good, get in to 1/4'' and it works it alot harder, it runs on 120volt and makes its own air, it has a piece that goes on the tip that places the tip end the right distance from the metal, really like using this when i can, but would never trade my torch for one, just need to get it back from a friend forgot about it till i seen this. looks like yours has compressed air line feed to it. you sure run into some good deals. happy cutting!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Nicely done Eugen .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

You the man Eugen. Replacing electrical components in a circuit board is an acquired skill set. I applaud your ingenuity. Do I own a plasma? Of course I do. I had one for sometime which I purchased off CL. I too do not like to buy things for top dollar. I did pay up $800 for the one I purchased because it was like brand new. It’s a Hypertherm which I believe is the company that pioneered plasma. It will cut 3/8” if I move slow enough. It needs an external air source but doesn’t need a plasma gas like argon to ignite the torch, like the industrial ones I used as a welder. I have an oxy acetlene torch set, but you can’t cut stainless steel with one. You need a plasma to cut stainless steel. Usually I drag the torch touching the metal surface of the metal I’m cutting. Then against a piece of bar stock to get a straight cut. It’s usually easier to maintain a constant travel that way so no slag buildup. I do not use it a lot but it sure makes fabrication work easier especially on SS. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Eugen, you've impressed me as usual. Very nicely done.

On a separate note, I recently replaced the handpiece/torch on my Cut50 plasma cutter with the "pilot arc" type. It essentially integrates it's own ground into the cone/tip, so when you pull the trigger it instantly becomes a little mini light saber. No fooling around on the workpiece trying to strike the arc. I find it WAY easier to accurately cut with, especially beginning a cut.

It was pretty cheap to do, something like $25 for a new torch and hose from AliExpress and only about a half an hour of fooling around getting the new hose attached to the end of the old hose. And now my hose is like 20 feet long, which is nicer too.

I also picked up a new set of consumables from Amazon, proper for this type of torch/handpiece. It was a little tricky to find the correct orifice size for the consumables, most of what Amazon sells are too large for this 50 amp unit. I can send the Aliexpress and Amazon links for anyone who's interested.

I got the whole idea from this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0pIlMyjm4s

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

:clap: :worship: nice job. :highfive:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Thanks guys!

@THEOTHERHALF I tried mine on 120V and it only worked on very thin metal. This last test was on 240V and dialled up to the max 50A. I had to go slow on the 1/4 inch piece.

@thebuildist this cutter did not come with a gun so not knowing very well what I'm doing I ordered a PT31 torch from amazon, and set with lot of consumables. Doesn't have the pilot arc thingy, and that is bothering me a little. In fact before I fixed the machine I could start cutting but lost the plasma very quickly. For this test I ran a wire and connected it to the piece to cut, from the little knob next to ground. Still, not having good technique or something to hold the distance to the piece steady, the plasma did cut out more often than I wanted. I kinda hate buying another torch handle now, like the AG-60, but I guess I should.

@Harry the Hypertherm is being discussed widely on welding forums, indeed that's the real tool. This one is more of a toy, but a useful one.

I don't feel very comfortable using my oxyacetylene torch. I'm going to put it for sale soon.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E