propane1 Canada

Re: Welding helmet recommendation

Post by propane1 »

Neat video. Nice father daughter day.

Noel
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I have two welding helmets that were purchased for me when I worked at GM. I've used them for over thirty years and they always work great. They are auto darkening solar powered, and the darkness can be changed with a dial on the side. Small window and no fancy buttons for different settings or batteries to change. One I use only for GTAW and the other for SMAW, GMAW and FCAW. They were made by a company called Optrel and they come from Switzerland. https://optrel.us/
Keep the :peace: :cop:
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Harry wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:48 pm I have two welding helmets that were purchased for me when I worked at GM. I've used them for over thirty years and they always work great. They are auto darkening solar powered, and the darkness can be changed with a dial on the side. Small window and no fancy buttons for different settings or batteries to change. One I use only for GTAW and the other for SMAW, GMAW and FCAW. They were made by a company called Optrel and they come from Switzerland. https://optrel.us/
Harry
I've seen the Optrel helmets on a professional welding store web site, they seem to be of really high quality, with price to match in the range of five to six hundred dollars and even more. Nice to know they last! I like Swiss made stuff, who doesn't? :giggle:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

In 1989 a salesman showed up at the factory I worked in, he had the Swiss made Speedglas auto darkening helmets that we could road test. My management saw the benefit but was too much of a tight wad to invest in these, but encouraged each of us to buy one :headbash: It was tough but I forked over the $400+ for one right there and then.

That first on died 2 weeks after the warranty was up :headbash: I called the company to see about buying a replacement lens, when I told the gal on the phone it was 2 weeks past warranty, she said don't worry about that. She got my name and a few seconds later recited my address, and said it was early enough in the day that a new helmet would be shipped that day. She then told me there would be a postage paid address label in the box, and that they wanted the old helmet back for an autopsy to find out why it died and fix the problem in future production. The second Speedglas lasted 10 years of daily factory welding, but I switched occupations and kept it in the house for climate control, then the house burnt down :((

I got 3 noname auto darkening helmets at auction for $15, 2 worked the third had a battery that leaked and wrecked the circuit board. I gave one to my nephew who needed one for his auto body school. The one I am using is solar powered with no changeable battery, it needs to be set out in the sun or bright light for 15 minutes before use for it to work, I assume to charge a internal capacitor.

Cheers,
Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Mine and :51: auto shades are both solar . Never had a battery one. This solar I have had for 15-20 years Intermitent use never a problem with it . I am cheap , so it was a good deal at the time . Could not tell you how much$$$ but would have been less than $100 :canada:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:22 pm Mine and :51: auto shades are both solar . Never had a battery one. This solar I have had for 15-20 years Intermitent use never a problem with it . I am cheap , so it was a good deal at the time . Could not tell you how much$$$ but would have been less than $100 :canada:
@Gordy and @DavidBarkey I don't think they use a capacitor, rather a small rechargeable battery. The good news is that one day, when it no longer charges, you can replace it.

I am so cheap that I bought an auto-darkening helmet second hand from a guy here in the village, I don't remember $20 or $15, in spite of the scantily cladded anime girl graphics on it which I hate, so I use it when my boys are not around. :rolleyes: needs a coat of paint.

Guys, I really appreciate your input. I've let all the experiences here percolate and it seems to me that a passive helmet with good quality glass would nicely complement my auto-darkening atrocity. I have asked Santa for a Phillips gold coated lens because it has really good reviews and it's not crazy expensive either. I'll try to be good for goodness sake! :65:

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 13.45.58.png
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

I don't think they use a capacitor, rather a small rechargeable battery. The good news is that one day, when it no longer charges, you can replace it.
I will look again, But it looked like a sealed unit I saw no battery hatch or screws to open it up. I still have a couple of the old glass lens helmets, but honestly have not used them in a decade or more.

:cheers:
Gordy
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:49 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:22 pm Mine and :51: auto shades are both solar . Never had a battery one. This solar I have had for 15-20 years Intermitent use never a problem with it . I am cheap , so it was a good deal at the time . Could not tell you how much$$$ but would have been less than $100 :canada:
@Gordy and @DavidBarkey I don't think they use a capacitor, rather a small rechargeable battery. The good news is that one day, when it no longer charges, you can replace it.

I am so cheap that I bought an auto-darkening helmet second hand from a guy here in the village, I don't remember $20 or $15, in spite of the scantily cladded anime girl graphics on it which I hate, so I use it when my boys are not around. :rolleyes: needs a coat of paint.

Guys, I really appreciate your input. I've let all the experiences here percolate and it seems to me that a passive helmet with good quality glass would nicely complement my auto-darkening atrocity. I have asked Santa for a Phillips gold coated lens because it has really good reviews and it's not crazy expensive either. I'll try to be good for goodness sake! :65:

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 13.45.58.png
A little masking tape and some rattle can Power Red will dress that girl right up. :109:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I had a little welding to do on some Christmas decorations yesterday. I took a couple pics of my Optrel welding helmet which is over thirty years old.

Harry
Attachments
Small window solar panel on top of lens
Small window solar panel on top of lens
Dial for darker or brighter of arc adjustment
Dial for darker or brighter of arc adjustment
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@Harry, thank you! If I am going to buy an auto-darkening helmet I am now convinced to get an Optrel. I checked, and their entry level has all the features one wants, still made in Switzerland, and is below $200.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E