Plasma cutter

Discussions with more focus on welding.
Harry United States of America

Re: Plasma cutter

Post by Harry »

The Hypertherm set up I purchased second hand was slightly used by someone less than five miles from my house. The story he gave me was that he used it to cut chain. He fabricated brackets to hold punching bags and the chain was to hold the bag. He had the original cutting tip in the torch and a few new tips were included. It appeared to be in pristine condition. So I paid up for it and have been happy I did. The most I used it was to cut all the pieces out for a trenching bucket I built. That was fabricated with 3/8” and 1/4” plate. I also purchased tips from Amazon which work nicely. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226

Post by Harry »

Pics of Hypertherm plasma. :peace: Harry
Attachments
Plasma over Miller Tig
Plasma over Miller Tig
Plasma face panel
Plasma face panel
Plasma torch
Plasma torch
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Sure nice to have a reputable name on the plasma. I have a Lotos, which is right in the same league as the Cut 50 units. Probably all the same internals, made in the same factory, with a different paint job... When researching them, I found post after post of people that had issues with loose connections internally, leading to problems. So first thing I did was open mine, and check all that. Found a couple that needed a tweak. It's been good to go since then. Eventually bought a longer torch, and ground, which really makes it easier to use.

We've got a really nice Miller at work, which is what finally pushed me over the edge to buy one. I've cut 1/2" cast iron with it, and it was amazing. My Lotos says it will cut 5/8 clean, and sever 3/4. There's no chance it would do that for long, if it did it at all. It doesn't seem to mind the 1/4", and odd 3/8" I've thrown at it though. It handles my needs for sure, but if I had to replace it, I'd be looking for something from one of the big commercial names, just for the sake of long term support. (if I had burned out parts on a board, I wouldn't know where to start)

While I tried O/A now and again, I never figured it out, and didn't have anyone that could teach me. So while I'd like to have that skill set, and the benifit of beaing able to really put heat in something now and again, it isn't likely in the cards. I got rid of the setup my father bought probably 30 years ago, and never actually used. It was well used then, and the tanks were from the 40's.

Post by Harry »

Toolslinger wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:25 am Sure nice to have a reputable name on the plasma. I have a Lotos, which is right in the same league as the Cut 50 units. Probably all the same internals, made in the same factory, with a different paint job... When researching them, I found post after post of people that had issues with loose connections internally, leading to problems. So first thing I did was open mine, and check all that. Found a couple that needed a tweak. It's been good to go since then. Eventually bought a longer torch, and ground, which really makes it easier to use.

We've got a really nice Miller at work, which is what finally pushed me over the edge to buy one. I've cut 1/2" cast iron with it, and it was amazing. My Lotos says it will cut 5/8 clean, and sever 3/4. There's no chance it would do that for long, if it did it at all. It doesn't seem to mind the 1/4", and odd 3/8" I've thrown at it though. It handles my needs for sure, but if I had to replace it, I'd be looking for something from one of the big commercial names, just for the sake of long term support. (if I had burned out parts on a board, I wouldn't know where to start)

While I tried O/A now and again, I never figured it out, and didn't have anyone that could teach me. So while I'd like to have that skill set, and the benifit of beaing able to really put heat in something now and again, it isn't likely in the cards. I got rid of the setup my father bought probably 30 years ago, and never actually used. It was well used then, and the tanks were from the 40's.
Toolslinger, many people think O&A is just for cutting. When I attended Hobart Welding School of Technology the first class everyone must take is O&A welding. The reason is to learn puddle control. O&A welding certainly is an art which is all about flame control. Too much heat and it melts through and to little you struggle to melt the base metal. O&A cutting is similar and most inexperienced turn the heat up too much. So when cutting the slag sticks to the base metal instead of just blowing through. O&A can also be used for heating as you mentioned but it can also be used for brazing. O&A is a very versatile process but in my opinion not a skill many become proficient at because other processes can be used in its place. For instance I use my TIG torch to braze and silver solder. For me using the foot pedal to control heat is easier than using O&A. Sorry for the morning ramble. :peace: Harry
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Harry wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:39 am
Toolslinger wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:25 am Sure nice to have a reputable name on the plasma. I have a Lotos, which is right in the same league as the Cut 50 units. Probably all the same internals, made in the same factory, with a different paint job... When researching them, I found post after post of people that had issues with loose connections internally, leading to problems. So first thing I did was open mine, and check all that. Found a couple that needed a tweak. It's been good to go since then. Eventually bought a longer torch, and ground, which really makes it easier to use.

Toolslinger, many people think O&A is just for cutting. When I attended Hobart Welding School of Technology the first class everyone must take is O&A welding. The reason is to learn puddle control. O&A welding certainly is an art which is all about flame control. Too much heat and it melts through and to little you struggle to melt the base metal. O&A cutting is similar and most inexperienced turn the heat up too much. So when cutting the slag sticks to the base metal instead of just blowing through. O&A can also be used for heating as you mentioned but it can also be used for brazing. O&A is a very versatile process but in my opinion not a skill many become proficient at because other processes can be used in its place. For instance I use my TIG torch to braze and silver solder. For me using the foot pedal to control heat is easier than using O&A. Sorry for the morning ramble. :peace: Harry
The first thing I learned to do in welding was O&A steel sheet metal with filler rod . I was not even a teenager when starting . Mom always was :cuss: me for steeling the "good wire coat hangers" . Started with stick on a Inchon 225 ac sparkler with 7014 and 6011 . Still have a set of tanks and a newer sparkler . :rofl: Never had formal training but picked a few things working with some preaty good welders over the years .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by Harry »

David the training is great, but there is nothing better than working with knowledgeable skilled tradesmen. :peace: Harry
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

@Eugen - Great job on repairing that circuit board, looks like you are going to have a lot of fun with that.
I am a little envious of all of you with plasma cutters and heavy duty welders - (I know I just have to be patient - my turn will come eventually) :)

I was self taught before going to trade school, got a couple of "learn to weld" books and with great trepidation started welding with no one looking over my shoulder... if anything, :wife: wanted to be as far away from a potential accident scene as possible.

It's been years now, but bought my little Lincoln 120 weld-pac when Costco actually sold them, and everything for the gas axe / hot wrench came from Princess. It was an advantage to have a little experience when I finally got "official' welding classes in trade school. Having someone to critique and explain your boo-boo's definitely speeds up the learning curve.
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I have been around welders and torch sets since I was little guy. That was always something broken on the farm. The problem was I never got to actually use them, that was always dad’s job. I guess in hindsight it gave me a really good familiarity and comfort level being around these things but no real practical experience. Now that it rests on my shoulders to do I jumped in with both feet! It sure can be aggravating! One time I can make a pretty weld the next time it’s pure chicken crap! Sometimes I can make a nice cut then others I’ll splatter slag all over! I figure practice will eventually make executable!

Great job getting it going @Eugen they are really handy!