End Jumpy Tractor Linkage Kit

Let's face it, we're a small community and we support those who make an effort to find parts or whatever we may need to bring these old tractors to the glory they deserve.
ssmewing United States of America

End Jumpy Tractor Linkage Kit

Post by ssmewing »

I was a guy that would always replace the inline joint of the stock travel control linkage. This was to end the forward lurch of the Case/Ingersoll tractors. Replacing the inline link helped but there was still a lurch to forward engagement. I then added changing the washer that is held in the steering support from the stock plastic washer to a self-lubricating thrust washer. This to helped. But, there was still play. The remaining play was the very simple control through the tab in the control lever. That had to go. I also never liked that the inline linkage end just had that rather small ball and socket that actually has some play very soon after use. Yes, I would lay under the tractor, a lot, looking at the whole thing.

I set out to make a better mousetrap or linkage. It was not easy. The spool end is 5/16" and the travel control lever end is 1/4". And then these linkage parts are not cheap. When buying one at a time you end up with a bit of money into a linkage and I wanted to share and make a little while giving up my time to assemble the parts. I spent many hours searching the internet for suppliers and different joints that could be used, many hours. I eventually found a way to go from 5/16" to 1/4" and increase the durability many times the original linkage.

I created a video about why the linkage slop creates the jumpy start or lurch. Then I created a video for at least one way to install my new linkage. They are on my YouTube channel Hemlock Case Guy.

I sell the linkage on eBay as hemlockcaseguy. I have sold 100's of the linkages. In fact, I buy my parts in lots of 100 to get the discounts so I can sell a linkage no more expensive as new stock parts but mine is much better than stock. The parts I use are modified to work. Having installed these myself so many times the tweaks were gradual in some cases to ease the install. I have it dialed in at this point.

The link to the eBay listing is http://ebay.us/uoAPAv?cmpnId=5338273189

In the listing, I have the tractors and serial numbers that the linkage can be used in. It does not fit the older tractors or the loaders. The 4 digit tractors are by far the easiest to change the washer on. The 3 digit tractor has the front PTO rod that is in the way of the travel control rod being able to pivot forward far enough to change the washer.
Eugen Canada

Re: End Jumpy Tractor Linkage Kit

Post by Eugen »

ssmewing wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:24 pm I was a guy that would always replace the inline joint of the stock travel control linkage. This was to end the forward lurch of the Case/Ingersoll tractors. Replacing the inline link helped but there was still a lurch to forward engagement. I then added changing the washer that is held in the steering support from the stock plastic washer to a self-lubricating thrust washer. This to helped. But, there was still play. The remaining play was the very simple control through the tab in the control lever. That had to go. I also never liked that the inline linkage end just had that rather small ball and socket that actually has some play very soon after use. Yes, I would lay under the tractor, a lot, looking at the whole thing.

I set out to make a better mousetrap or linkage. It was not easy. The spool end is 5/16" and the travel control lever end is 1/4". And then these linkage parts are not cheap. When buying one at a time you end up with a bit of money into a linkage and I wanted to share and make a little while giving up my time to assemble the parts. I spent many hours searching the internet for suppliers and different joints that could be used, many hours. I eventually found a way to go from 5/16" to 1/4" and increase the durability many times the original linkage.

I created a video about why the linkage slop creates the jumpy start or lurch. Then I created a video for at least one way to install my new linkage. They are on my YouTube channel Hemlock Case Guy.

I sell the linkage on eBay as hemlockcaseguy. I have sold 100's of the linkages. In fact, I buy my parts in lots of 100 to get the discounts so I can sell a linkage no more expensive as new stock parts but mine is much better than stock. The parts I use are modified to work. Having installed these myself so many times the tweaks were gradual in some cases to ease the install. I have it dialed in at this point.

The link to the eBay listing is http://ebay.us/uoAPAv?cmpnId=5338273189

In the listing, I have the tractors and serial numbers that the linkage can be used in. It does not fit the older tractors or the loaders. The 4 digit tractors are by far the easiest to change the washer on. The 3 digit tractor has the front PTO rod that is in the way of the travel control rod being able to pivot forward far enough to change the washer.
I've come across your solution some time ago and made a mental note to get your part when my tractor will develop this problem. Just a matter of time, I think. :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: End Jumpy Tractor Linkage Kit

Post by DavidBarkey »

Built my own version of your linkage setup when I put foot controls on Frankie . Works great . For those that do not have the ability to make there own this is a great solution for them . Keep up the good work on all the forums you are in . It is appreciated by many .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder