old wheel horse

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
puttputt Canada

old wheel horse

Post by puttputt »

Picked up this old wheel horse today, mainly because it was not far from me and it's pretty complete . Belonged to a fellow who passed away in an accident last fall and his wife was cleaning things up. It will run if I keep squirting carb cleaner into the throat of the carb so I'll take the carb off and have a look. The throttle cable is not the original one. I'm not sure what the purpose of that angle iron standing frame is for. Just trying to figure out what model it is as the decals are gone. It has a 10 hp Kohler which I'm not sure if it's the original engine or not and a 3 speed tranny.
wheel horse1.jpeg
wheel horse2.jpeg
Eugen Canada

Re: old wheel horse

Post by Eugen »

Looks like a nice tractor! The only reason I've only got Case garden tractors is because I like the idea of interchanging attachments among them. Otherwise there were some wheel horse tractors for sale around here that I was definitely tempted by. It'll be interesting whatever you find out about it! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
puttputt Canada

Post by puttputt »

I was doing some research. Assuming the 10 HP Kohler is original, I believe it is either a 1055 or 1056. But I'm certainly not a Wheel Horse expert!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Original Wheel horse's like that have a huge following in North America . Most of the GTs of that erra were built to last . Each had there own positives and negative on how they worked . Be interesting to see what you can digg up on it .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

The angle iron's CURRENT purpose is to hold the blade in the air.

I"m guessing its original purpose was to be a light bar, for plowing snow in dark conditions.

Just a guess.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
puttputt Canada

Post by puttputt »

I tied the rope on the blade to hold it up while loading because the bar that goes from the blades frame to the tractor lift is missing. The fellow's wife didn't know where it was.
puttputt Canada

Post by puttputt »

The engine in the old Wheel Horse was smoking pretty good and just not running right so I pulled the engine and tore it apart. Discovered a cracked piston skirt caused from a crack in the bottom of the cylinder and kind of a bulge so something smacked the bottom of it, most likely a connecting rod. The piston is .020" over so it has been apart. So gotta replace the engine. I have a Kohler K341 16 horse in a shed so may give that a go.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Too bad! Is the repower fairly uncomplicated?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
puttputt Canada

Post by puttputt »

I 'm not sure how difficult it will be but I don't think it should be too bad. Apparently all the K series blocks from 10 horse through 16 are the same dimensionally so bolting in shouldn't be a problem. The biggest issue might be the pto as there were variations in length and diameter of the pto shaft portion depending on what the engine went into. I'm not out at the tractor to check that right now. However, the 16 horse I have has a double pulley on the pto end already. The set up may work as it is for powering the tractor if the pto from the 10 horse won't fit. I don't really need a pto on this tractor anyhow as I have no pto driven attachments for it.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Wish I had a k341. I like the Kohlers and have only up to k321.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E