Case 680E

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
RoamingGnome Canada

Re: Case 680E

Post by RoamingGnome »

I am feeling for you and the challenges with your backhoe - I read through the entire post and would have liked each individual post but didn't want to cramp up my mouse finger :lol:

Seriously, I'll have to do a post about my '65 Case 530CK backhoe (aka "OldYeller") soon and we can compare notes. I'm in the same boat as far as working outside in the BigSkyShop™ and with experience I find that I'm not willing to pay myself enough to justify working outside when the weather makes my face hurt... and it's a 5 hour drive to the property, and there is real snow there. Not this namby pamby stuff that freaks out people driving in the GTA...

I visited OldYeller in December to tarp him up for the winter - I can recommend Honey Goo as a protective spray that leaves a waxy residue to protect and prevent rusting on metal exposed to the elements...
PXL_20221214_154728429 (Large).jpg
Those cylinder heads can be deceptively heavy / awkward to move once you are trying to get it away from the block - I'd suggest a test lift first and decide if you are comfortable manhandling it alone. (I'd be concerned about twisting/turning with something heavy in my hands) Would an engine hoist would fit in there?
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

For the loader; I have done the angle iron and strap thing. But sometimes it is better to remove the loader, 4 pins and 4 hoses and a convenient big overhanging tree branch or a couple 4x4's cut to length.

:cheers:
Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Those cylinder heads can be deceptively heavy / awkward to move once you are trying to get it away from the block - I'd suggest a test lift first and decide if you are comfortable manhandling it alone. (I'd be concerned about twisting/turning with something heavy in my hands) Would an engine hoist would fit in there?
Quote @RoamingGnome
As automotive tech of over 30 years , my experiences with diesel is limited . But any time I did work on I was surprised just how heavy the parts were compared to gas versions . You real world experience with said beast .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

If I hadn't sold the Massey loader.. it was basically my crane. I'll be careful.

@Gordy the loader on this tractor is massive. I will not try to remove it.

@RoamingGnome I can appreciate how much more difficult it must be for you to work on your machine, probably not having all your tools there. If you share your wrenching with us that would be great. Also thank you for reading this thread and your suggestions.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Well, I'm quite sad :( . Not sure why I assumed that the oil pan would come out easy as I did not remember any skid plate or such thing that would block access to the pan bolts. Threw a quick look at it this morning and there's a cross member welded to the frame, the support for the front axle pin, which runs across the oil pan about a third of the way from the front. Covering that third of the oil pan is this member, the pin, power steering, and axle. The space there is very very tight, I really don't see how to undo the many bolts in that area without lifting the engine from the frame. What I thought was a difficult job for me, now has become close to impossible. I'll go and cry now on the inside. :((

7F767A28-20A9-42D3-88D2-C43361D0530E.jpeg
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Well that sucks . @Eugen Can you find out from a repair manual if the pan once undone will clear the inners or what they say is the procedure to change the pan gasket .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

As you can see I'm inclined to have a knee-jerk posting (just when I said I try to moderate myself :oops:).

Did some searches and people in the know have said elsewhere that it's possible to take the belly pan off without pulling the engine completely out. The basic idea is to undo the motor mounts and lift the engine enough to get access to those bolts and remove the oil pan. Time for me to sleep on this, whether to embark on it or not :writing:. The alternative is to use the backhoe in three cylinders as is to get the foundation done in the Spring, and pray it doesn't throw a rod or something like that. Kind of a downer for sure. :|
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Been there, done that - and it's a pain in the butt... check the forums, see what others have run into - without knowing any details - you might be able to put a piece of square tube across the top of your loader arms and use a small chainfall / comealong to lift the front of the engine. Or rent an A frame gantry type hoist - (not a 2x4 across two step ladders :)) )

You may also have clearance problems with the pick up tube for the oil pump - sometimes it helps to drop the pan a little and wriggle your hand in there to undo what ever bolts are holding the tube up... Keep us posted, It's a curveball for sure, but shouldn't be insurmountable...
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I agree with @RoamingGnome its a pain but certainly doable. I don’t know how the motor mounts are situated on this tractor, but you might also be able to shim the engine up there too. I ran into a similar problem when I replaced the timing chain set on my pickup a few years back. Things I looked at said you had to remove the front differential to drop the oil pan. It took some doing but you can in fact drop the pan on a 2006 F150 without removing the front differential! If you only need a couple of inches to get to the bolts and clear the crankshaft and oil pickup, it may not be too bad.
Do you still plan to sell it when you’re done? Just wondering what the resell difference would be if you didn’t fix it. If it’s not that much it might not be worth it.
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Again... not really sure how things are set up between your engine and frame rails... so look carefully and make your own judgment call - It might be possible to completely remove the front engine mount bolts, loosen the rear bolts (But leave them in there so it doesn't slide away on you) and then put something under the oil pan to spread the load as much as you can and push the engine up from underneath with a jack - put some hardwood blocks under the front engine mounts to support it, remove the jack and carefully wiggle the oil pan out... At least it's an idea - you would have to watch the oil pan carefully and make sure it can support the weight. Sometimes thinking outside the box can get you out of a bind...