Case 680E

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
Eugen Canada

Re: Case 680E

Post by Eugen »

Dave, the transfer pump is connected to the injection pump, so i don't see how it could leak inside the crankcase. If it would leak inside the pump, then to make it to the crankcase it would still have to leak around the shaft. As far as I can tell the only connection between the pump and engine is the shaft on which is the gear turned by the engine for timing

pumpgear.png

I suppose I could take the cover off and see for real if fuel goes through there.

But now I'm kinda stuck, I broke a tee fitting which was on top of one of the injectors :(( must order one from the :usa:

Guys, would it be worth sending the injectors to a shop to have them "rebuilt" or whatever they do to get them in better shape?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

I don't know what they do these days, they use to test and fix them. I don't know if that has gone down the just put new in road too. Probably have to call around and see.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:57 pm Dave, the transfer pump is connected to the injection pump, so i don't see how it could leak inside the crankcase. If it would leak inside the pump, then to make it to the crankcase it would still have to leak around the shaft. As far as I can tell the only connection between the pump and engine is the shaft on which is the gear turned by the engine for timing

pumpgear.png

I suppose I could take the cover off and see for real if fuel goes through there.

But now I'm kinda stuck, I broke a tee fitting which was on top of one of the injectors :(( must order one from the :usa:

Guys, would it be worth sending the injectors to a shop to have them "rebuilt" or whatever they do to get them in better shape?
Pull the transfer pump off for now and see if the is oil or diesel back there .Make sure you have something to block off the line from the tank in case it starts siphoning . From what I can see so far the only shaft seal is on the back of the injector pump to hold oil in . There is an oil line going to the pump to feed crank case oil to the shaft and the oil returns out the front where the timing gear is.

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Something just seems strange. How could a bad gasket or seal put that much fuel into the base in that short of time. As I’ve said before, I don’t know any thing about diesels. But I’m curious to know what’s wrong. You would think it would have to be pressure from some where doing that. So the pump makes pressure all the time while the motor is turning ? Then some thing opens to allow fuel to the injector ? Is this how it sorta operates ?
So if this is sorta right, would it be possible that what ever opens to let fuel to the injector be stuck open, pushing fuel all the time into that cylinder that had the wet injector ?

Here I am up at 4:30 am or so drinking coffee and rambling on about some thing I know nothing about. Hehe. Oh well.

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:58 am Something just seems strange. How could a bad gasket or seal put that much fuel into the base in that short of time. As I’ve said before, I don’t know any thing about diesels. But I’m curious to know what’s wrong. You would think it would have to be pressure from some where doing that. So the pump makes pressure all the time while the motor is turning ? Then some thing opens to allow fuel to the injector ? Is this how it sorta operates ?
So if this is sorta right, would it be possible that what ever opens to let fuel to the injector be stuck open, pushing fuel all the time into that cylinder that had the wet injector ?

Here I am up at 4:30 am or so drinking coffee and rambling on about some thing I know nothing about. Hehe. Oh well.

Noel
That much fuel in 1 cylinder would cause a hydro lock in that cylinder.

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

How this style of injector pump works .
image.png
The shaft is nothing more than a cam shaft and is lubed by engine oil .
image.png
image.png

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:56 am
Propane57 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:58 am Something just seems strange. How could a bad gasket or seal put that much fuel into the base in that short of time. As I’ve said before, I don’t know any thing about diesels. But I’m curious to know what’s wrong. You would think it would have to be pressure from some where doing that. So the pump makes pressure all the time while the motor is turning ? Then some thing opens to allow fuel to the injector ? Is this how it sorta operates ?

Noel
That much fuel in 1 cylinder would cause a hydro lock in that cylinder.

Dave
True . Thanks for the pump diagrams, I sorta have an idea now how it works.
But, let’s say rings are worn out badly or broken rings which wear holes in the top side of the piston, happened to my ferguson tractor, piston cracked, piston split in half, top not moving but bottom still does, happened in my kohler k301 engine, or just a plain hole in piston.
May not hydro lock then.
Any way, I rambling again.

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Some pictures of a piston with broken rings that came out of my Ferguson tractor. That cylinder had 35 psi compression. Other cylinders had 60,85 and 100 psi. Tractor still was working cutting grass and sawing wood. Had a little trouble plowing at our Plow match thou.

Noel
Attachments
E09D0181-841D-4290-B7CF-4825312EDE44.png
624FE528-45DB-4009-ADA8-C295801A5B09.png
B6F3169B-9D9B-4C47-84D3-F23097E9B44B.png
ADFD7EA7-2DDC-48F9-9908-33FEA731A028.png
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

The amount of fuel pumped is very small, when you're bleeding them it's just a spit when that cylinder is fed. It would take considerable time to pump a quart of fuel through an injector and get to the crankcase, even if that cylinder was not firing. Say he was working the tractor, burning 2 gallons per hour, that would be 2 quarts per hour through that injector.
When my injector pump failed on my Ford 172ci on a drill rig, (twice)oil level was normal at startup, some time during the day oil and fuel was pouring out of the valve cover. The motor continued to run swimming in fuel. I kept smelling raw fuel went up front to find it running out.
We didn't mess around with it to see what failed in the injector pump, took it to a shop, you know the rest of the story.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Because the tank is higher than the pump , a leaky diaphragm in the transfer pump could still supply enough fuel for it to run as long as it didn't lose it's prime . i suspect the diaphragm has has gotten hard and shrunk with age and although still working a bit it is leaking fuel past and into the injector housing and from there into the oil pan .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder