Case 680E

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Case 680E

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:19 pm Can't see much through that hole that Noel suggested. That's used to set the pump timing if the pump gets removed.

Was able to take the injectors out. Can't see anything very obviously wrong with them. Also, if an injector was leaky in a cylinder, wouldn't the smoke be black? Now the smoke is whiteish.

The injectors could do use a cleaning though. Not sure why one of them looks wet, while the other just dry carbon buildup.

tempImageB66m4z.gif

tempImageMoKHBy.gif

tempImageJp4Mib.gif

tempImage4V1fbJ.gif
The wet one was the last one to squirt on shut down , or is dirty and leaking down after shut down .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

The fuel tank is not under the hood. Must be somewhere below the seat as the fuelling cap is toward the back of the cab.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:43 pm The fuel tank is not under the hood. Must be somewhere below the seat as the fuelling cap is toward the back of the cab.
Ok, not real familiar with the Case's. Everybody's different, our Ford's have it up in front of the cab behind the motor. They gravity feed the injector pump.

Just trying to rule out fuel shut off leaking when it was standing. If you checked the oil before you started it and it wasn't already up then we come back to the pump.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Eugen Can you find an exploded/ parts view of the injector pump . You may need to look it up by the numbers on the pump itself .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Timj wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:55 pm Ok, not real familiar with the Case's. Everybody's different, our Ford's have it up in front of the cab behind the motor. They gravity feed the injector pump.

Just trying to rule out fuel shut off leaking when it was standing. If you checked the oil before you started it and it wasn't already up then we come back to the pump.
Not gravity fed, it has an electric transfer pump. So yeah, must be the injection pump then.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:02 pm @Eugen Can you find an exploded/ parts view of the injector pump . You may need to look it up by the numbers on the pump itself .

Dave
Seems to be a whole family of them, couldn't find one for this exact one, but for one in the family. This pump is the Bosch PES4A85D420LS2459 and found a diagram of a different PES4A. The pump I have has a feed of oil directly from the engine oil filter.

Found a guy on ebay who sells a seal kit for my pump and it's not too expensive. I'm thinking of getting it and use only the easiest seals I can get to. The pump seems really complicated to take apart entirely.

bosch-pes4a.png

Hoping it's the shaft seal and that the shaft doesn't have to be taken out to replace the seal. :109:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:17 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:02 pm @Eugen Can you find an exploded/ parts view of the injector pump . You may need to look it up by the numbers on the pump itself .

Dave
Seems to be a whole family of them, couldn't find one for this exact one, but for one in the family. This pump is the Bosch PES4A85D420LS2459 and found a diagram of a different PES4A. The pump I have has a feed of oil directly from the engine oil filter.

Found a guy on ebay who sells a seal kit for my pump and it's not too expensive. I'm thinking of getting it and use only the easiest seals I can get to. The pump seems really complicated to take apart entirely.

bosch-pes4a.png

Hoping it's the shaft seal and that the shaft doesn't have to be taken out to replace the seal. :109:
Ok, get the kit and then we can do the seals at my shop , then take it back and in stall . When you have it back together I can help you bleed the injectors .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:06 pm
Eugen wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:17 pm

Dave

bosch-pes4a.png

Ok, get the kit and then we can do the seals at my shop , then take it back and in stall . When you have it back together I can help you bleed the injectors .

Dave
This sounds like a good plan. :122:
:cheers:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Thanks Dave!!

Axed the guy on ebay if the shaft seal is included, just to make sure. As you guys know the only time I get to work on such things is usually after the kids are asleep and the chores are done. So last night at about 11PM I went out to pull the pump out. Looks like quite some things need to be pulled out to get to the pump though, so I gave up :headbash: Maybe tomorrow during the day :whip:

In other news I need to take a good look at that 224 and figure out why it wouldn't start in the freezing cold. :51: :52: :whip:

Thanks for putting up with my various tractor soap operas guys, and for all your advice!!! Wish I could send you all some beers! Lucky Dave he's not far so he'll get some :drink:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Eugen Based on what I can see so far . There is only fuel in the top end of the injector pump and the transfer pump/primmer pump based on this picture . the "shaft" is lubed by the engine oil , not fuel like in some .
image.png
It still could be the transfer/ primer pump leaking .
image.png
Or could be the lower seal on one of the individual pumps .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder