Case 680E

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Case 680E

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Eugen Ok based on what you uploaded . It can't be hydra . PS.will be run off hydra circuit.
Based on that you did not see water/coolant when draining oil . Only one thing left Diesel fuel from lift pump or injector pump. Look to see if the lift pump has been changed . If not change it and hope for the best . If it has been change , someone has already gone down this road and you need a injector pump it repaired/rebuilt.

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

With the fresh oil and fuel you should be able to smell the diesel in the oil on the dip stick.

Do all of the fuel lines to the injectors and the returns from the injectors run on the outside of the engine? There's usually returns from the injectors back to the fuel tank. I've had ones that run under the valve covers leak and fill the crankcase.

It is probably the seals in the injector pump. Now the question is to rebuild or replace. Hopefully you can find a good honest guy that will help you. The last one I had rebuilt only lasted about nine months and failed, took it back and the guy said ya it was pretty wore, I didn't think it would last. I told him that was fine, but why didn't you tell me that when you had it apart, I would have just ordered a new one then. Expensive pump on a little Ford 4 cylinder.
My father just put a new pump on his old 4500 Ford backhoe, I can ask for sure but I think it was about $600. It had been leaking a little for awhile but finally let go and would fill the crankcase in no time.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Guys, I'm so grateful for your presence here, and for your help!
Eugen Ok based on what you uploaded . It can't be hydra . PS.will be run off hydra circuit.
Based on that you did not see water/coolant when draining oil . Only one thing left Diesel fuel from lift pump or injector pump. Look to see if the lift pump has been changed . If not change it and hope for the best . If it has been change , someone has already gone down this road and you need a injector pump it repaired/rebuilt.
Dave, hydraulic fluid from the pump just can't make it into the engine through there. It's hard to take a good picture of that area, but here it is. The hub on the crankshaft pulley is bone dry. You can see the splined pump shaft is dry too. Looks like there's some leak around the pump somewhere but that can't make it into the crankcase.

IMG_6226.HEIC.png

IMG_6225.HEIC.png

So we're back to Tim's initial guess that it must be diesel in the oil.
Timj wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:25 pm With the fresh oil and fuel you should be able to smell the diesel in the oil on the dip stick.
I took some of the tainted oil off the dipstick on a paper towel and gave it to my wife to smell it, she's pretty sure it smells like diesel. Funny I can't tell, in fact even clean diesel out of the can doesn't smell like much to me. :D something wrong with my nose I suppose. :107: I kinda trust my wife as she had a diesel car in her youth in Europe and she says she really knows that smell.
Do all of the fuel lines to the injectors and the returns from the injectors run on the outside of the engine? There's usually returns from the injectors back to the fuel tank. I've had ones that run under the valve covers leak and fill the crankcase.
This I have to check, I'm not sure if the returns are external or internal.
It is probably the seals in the injector pump. Now the question is to rebuild or replace. Hopefully you can find a good honest guy that will help you. The last one I had rebuilt only lasted about nine months and failed, took it back and the guy said ya it was pretty wore, I didn't think it would last. I told him that was fine, but why didn't you tell me that when you had it apart, I would have just ordered a new one then. Expensive pump on a little Ford 4 cylinder.
My father just put a new pump on his old 4500 Ford backhoe, I can ask for sure but I think it was about $600. It had been leaking a little for awhile but finally let go and would fill the crankcase in no time.
We can eliminate the transfer pump too, it's outside the engine.

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 10.39.48.png

So we're left with either the return lines, or the injectors, or a leak by the injection pump. You can see here the injection pump is connected to the engine case and it could leak by its shaft I suppose.

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 10.42.49.png
IMG_6217.HEIC.png
IMG_6230.HEIC.png

My plan of attack now is to take the injectors out and have a look.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I wonder if you could take that plug out and have a look in with a flashlight. Then maybe do the same thing with engine running. But put plug in before starting then slowly take plug out. Maybe oil splashing when running.

Noel
Attachments
5EA7A1E7-F950-494E-B93C-C354D606DF62.jpeg

Post by Timj »

Can't quite see enough from the pic of the injector pump, but it looks like the return lines are on the outside. So leaking out the injector pump shaft is probably the most likely. :((
Noel's idea would be worth a try. :thumbsup: You might be able to see if the diesel washed the oil away just by looking in there.

My wife has a nose for any fuel, gas, exhaust or oil. I can't smell it, but she knows if I drove past a gas station or I looked at a gas can. :D It never fails, if I have to fill up when we're going somewhere, I get some on me. :bla: :112: :107:
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

I friends JD 2020 with high oil level last fall was due to a leaking injector pump shaft seal. Turned out to be a cheap fix when we bypassed the dealer and purchased a shaft seal from our bearing supplier.

I hope @Eugen gets off this easy.

Spike
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Can't see much through that hole that Noel suggested. That's used to set the pump timing if the pump gets removed.

Was able to take the injectors out. Can't see anything very obviously wrong with them. Also, if an injector was leaky in a cylinder, wouldn't the smoke be black? Now the smoke is whiteish.

The injectors could do use a cleaning though. Not sure why one of them looks wet, while the other just dry carbon buildup.

tempImageB66m4z.gif
tempImageMoKHBy.gif

tempImageJp4Mib.gif

tempImage4V1fbJ.gif
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Not firing in that cylinder I would say. So all fuel from that cylinder going into base. That’s my guess.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

The oil level went up double what it was in after I put new oil in, and it took about 4-5 minutes of running. I kinda have a hard time accepting that so much fuel would get dumped through one injector. The tractor does feel like rough idle. :40:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by Timj »

If the injectors don't mist the fuel it won't run good, but it will run. If there's not enough pressure on them or they're wore, they don't mist the fuel. Running rich or not complete burning will be white smoke. It will smell more like diesel fuel than exhaust. Especially when not working it hard.
The pump doesn't pump much volume, it pumps pressure. The pump wouldn't pump that much in that short of time through the injectors. It has to be pushing it around the shaft and in.

Is the fuel tank up above, under the hood on your tractor or is it below, in the step to the cab?