Another Simplicity followed me home

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
Gordy United States of America

Another Simplicity followed me home

Post by Gordy »

Another Simplicity followed me home, didn't need it but it has the rare as hens teeth power steering :spin: I already pulled the engine to remove the tins and mouse nest and power washed it, and replaced the leaky oil pan gasket and carb rebuild.
image.png
The front axle did not look right so pulled it, That is supposed to be a 1/2" hole :headbash: Apparently the bolt came loose long ago :violin:
image.png
image.png
:cheers:
Gordy

Re: Another Simplicity followed me home

Post by Gordy »

Studs and lug nuts installed on rears, one side was easy but the other hub had to be removed because of the differential being so close.
image.png
Working on the mower deck the tensioner was rusted solid. Took most of the power of the 12 ton press to get it a part.Then drilled a hole and welded a nut on for a zerk.
image.png
Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That should be a nice project @Gordy ! Looking forward to seeing what you're doing with it! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Gordy »

Yesterday I got it moved to the barn and made a few parts. The 1/4" thick washer and the smaller short pipe.
image.png
Today, Nut and washer welded to back of frame.If the bolt loosens in the future it won't tear threw the 1/4' thick frame again ;) The washer will strengthen the frame and give me something to weld to from the front side.
image.png
Before welding the bottom of the hole was filed out a bit more to fit the small pipe.
image.png
image.png
Welded, ground flat and bolt test fit.
image.png
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

The end of the wishbone needs to be welded and made round again.
image.png
Not sure what todo with the wishbone mount, it is cast iron so not weldable with what I have.
image.png
The hood hinge is over simplified, simple holes in flat metal with a bolt, this leads to wobbled out holes.
image.png
The fix weld nuts to inside of hood so bolt can be double nutted and no vibration.
image.png
Nut welded to outside of frame then drilled threads out to act as a broader hinge point.
image.png
Out of welding gas so done till next weekend ;)

Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Gordy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:01 am The end of the wishbone needs to be welded and made round again.

Might be easier to fab one from 1/2" steel plate?

Nice welds by the way :worship:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Gordy »

Eugen wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:40 am
Gordy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:01 am The end of the wishbone needs to be welded and made round again.

Might be easier to fab one from 1/2" steel plate?

Nice welds by the way :worship:
Hard to tell in the picture, but that cast part is 1.25" tall. Had the wife run up to my Simplicity dealer today and got one ordered. But he has had issues getting parts. He said B&S bought out Simplicity awhile back, and now B&S is hurting and may be sold. So we will see. worst case scenario I could flip the casting, put the worn side down.

Was NOT a good day to be welding outside with a MIG, very gusty. The grinder with cut off wheel got some work in grinding out spong weld :headbash:

Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

image.png
Steel pipe welded to plate with oil-lite bronze bushing pressed in side machined to fit . That is how I have remade similar pieces before .

Dave
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by Gordy »

Well the casting is not even shown in the parts manual :7: So picked up some E-316 welding rods, holy crap they are pretty proud of that stuff, 13 rods $37.oo after tax. Fixed the casting.
SAM_0942.JPG
There was plenty of extra space on the wishbone, so built up the weld for more bearing area.
SAM_0944.JPG
Got the hole and rod round and straight again on the axle.
SAM_0941.JPG
Back on all 4's again. During assembly I gave the load bearing surfaces a good coat of synthetic caliper grease.
SAM_0946.JPG
Also got the power steering unit swapped out, as this one has a leaking seal.Tomorrow I'll add hydraulic oil and fire it up :please: Hope nothing else needs attention other than the bad headlight. :please:

Gordy
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Not to hijack your thread Gordy but I got my hands on my first simplicity yesterday. It was given to me the other day. A neighbor down the street said it just wouldn't start one day and wants it gone. Free. Not as cool as yours but I have been wanting to get my wife a mower because she refuses to ride ingersoll's.Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk