8N points

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
Toolslinger United States of America

8N points

Post by Toolslinger »

Well, as I was getting prepped for the storm I just got through, I wanted to a) make sure everything had topped off batteries, and b) move them around a bit to get the cars inside the barn.

Well, that's when I found that I had left the ignition on, on the 8N. The 6v battery was stone cold dead. So out to Advance, and picked up a new battery, and hoped I hadn't toasted the points.

Put the new battery in, and while it was cranky, it started. It didn't sound happy, but then it can get cantankerous with real cold weather. it's 25 years older than I am, so I understand...

Well I went to start it Saturday morning to get he car in that bay, and nothing... Battery was ok, but it just would not fire.

This is a '48, so the distributor is on the front of the engine between the block, and the fan. You can not see the points without taking the distributor, cap, and coil off, none of which I had ever done. So Youtube to the rescue thankfully. It would be much easier in warm weather to do this, but such is life.

Pulled everything off, and got the distributor on the bench. Pushed the points open, and they sure didn't look right...
Moving portion's contact was T shaped, and the fixed contact was a donut...
Fixed contact:
2024-01-07 14.45.01.jpg
That ain't right...
So off to the New Holland dealer. I bought everything involved, even though the points are pretty much the smoking gun.

Back home, install the points, and a new condensor. The cap, and rotor look fine. The coil, I decided to go with the old one for the moment.

Back on the tractor... And again, she was a little slow to crank, but she fired off. With that, I was ready for snow... 2 blowers, 1 big loader, and the 8N with back blade. The 646's were both ready, but they're not the right machine to clean up this much area. (I have done it, and it's horrible)

I put the 6v charge on it overnight in case that battery had been sitting around Advance for a while... This morning, it spun up great, and fired right off. I let it high idle for an hour or two while I was working the blowers. Then it took care of some gravel, and grass areas that are easier with a blade. Running like a champ again... Now if I could just convince my uncle that we should be using UTF in it rather than the 90wt it came from the factory with, I might not grow old waiting for the 3 point to move in the winter...
JSinMO United States of America

Re: 8N points

Post by JSinMO »

I feel your pain! My 1947 2N has that same distributor setup. It’s a PITA for sure. Mine came to me already converted to 12 volt with a Pertronics ignition but it’s still very finicky to start in cold weather. I manage to flood it quite often! :109:
It seems to me they like to spin as fast as possible to start up cold. I also do the same as you, once it’s started I just let it idle. In my case I probably need to go through the carburetor again as the tractor needs choke to start even after the engine is up to temperature.
Toolslinger United States of America

Re: 8N points

Post by Toolslinger »

They flood with just a hint of choke... Otherwise, this machine has been so rock solid for so long, I can't imagine doing the 12v switch.

I believe I need to go through my carb again as well. Runs great, but I think the float valve is sketchy. We always just shut the valve at the tank after use so we're not depending on that valve to hold perfectly.