Ok, it isn't a tractor, but...

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
Toolslinger United States of America

Ok, it isn't a tractor, but...

Post by Toolslinger »

It's going to be handy for tractor repairs....

1965 Bucyrus-Erie H3 Hydrocrane.

The Hydrocrane was the first all hydraulic crane. I guess when they B-E saw it, there was someone smart enough there to know they had better buy the little manufacturer that came up with it. Better to get on the hydraulics band wagon sooner rather than later.

The chart says she'll lift 5 tons with a doubled line, pretty close in to the machine. It's got 35' total boom, one hydraulic section, and one manual. It was setup to take a jib, but that's lost to history now... It's got a Ford 240 6 cyl engine for power plant. That's direct coupled to a split pump that should put out 6000 psi. I get a little stressed sitting around the 2000 psi lines on the tractors. Those 6000 psi lines scare the hell outa me, which is why they're all getting replaced, even though most looked fine.

As much of a headache as our Case gear is with hydraulics, this is worse... There are a whole lot of hoses on this thing.. I've replaced almost all of them now. I think I've got 3 to go on the crane, and then 2 or 3 on the hydraulic clam bucket. I need to have cylinders rebuilt as they bypass a little, which you really don't want on a crane. She's also going to need 165' of new cable, hopefully this summer.

It's all mounted on a 1965 F-750. That's got more issues than the crane, but at least I can generally get parts for that.

Photo is the first actual pick I did with it. Our farm house has winches built in to pull sections of the deck up to cover the windows. Unfortunately, I had a cable fail, and this section crashed down. I had to pick it up to do some repairs, and rerun the cable. Just did the lift, and then blocked the porch. Not going to depend on the system until I'm done with the repairs...
Attachments
1.jpg
20200919_123250.jpg
Timj United States of America

Re: Ok, it isn't a tractor, but...

Post by Timj »

Cool little crane. Ya, I bet all them hoses and Hydraulic fittings are right out in the open and you can just get right at them. :rofl: no leaves,
pine needles, 50 years of grease, and junk covering them. :pullhair:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:

Post by Toolslinger »

Doing the lines that run down to the outriggers, through the center pivot was particularly special... It can only swivel something like 380 degrees, so is isn't a complex rotary fitting, but snaking them through, and managing to connect was a bear. The bottom fittings are right over the rear dif. The uppers are mounted to the cab exterior, and you can only get to them by climbing inside the cage right behind the boom. That cage extends vertically to create the line pull, there's no actual winch. Neat system, just weird by today's standards. I'll have to see if I have a photo of that, because it's hard to envision without seeing it.

This photos is the back of the cage area. Just up, and to the left of the battery, you can make out the center pivot. The lift is created by a reverse block and fall setup of sheaves. I believe it will take up 65' of line by extending the cage something like 6 or 7 feet.
Attachments
20200105_112433.jpg

Post by Timj »

I remember an old excavating contractor in town had a larger version B.E. crane, it had the same lifting mechanism.

I feel your pain, my drill rig can be hose nightmare too. Can't find or get at what you need. Take off 3 hoses to get at the one you need to. No room to turn a wrench........
KIMG0021.JPG
The ones you can see are the easy ones, lol

I still run a couple of old B.E. cable tool drill rigs. They are well built machines, no hydraulics, but still "fun" to work on at times.
KIMG0126.JPG
:geek: Tim

Post by Toolslinger »

Yea, the bigger version is the H5 with a 15 ton max lift. Basically the same setup as far as I can tell, with a 50' boom, a counterweight, and I believe a 3rd lift cylinder in the cage to get more line travel. They sold the H5 units until the 80's some time. They're apparently solid reliable machines. I would have liked to find an H5, but this one was 15 miles from the farm, and the guy could deliver it.

B-E seems to have made top of the line quality. I did try calling Cat for info since they bought out B-E. No help at all... Found some offshore marine outfit that bought the rights to the crane line. Haven't contacted them, but can't imagine I'd find much there either... I have found all the parts, and owners manuals, so I'm in ok shape. I'd love to find the actual service manuals, but I'm not holding my breath...

Post by Timj »

We are fortunate that a company in Ohio bought the drill rights and continues to supply parts. If they don't have a part they will make it. Of course they know you need it, and charge accordingly. :O but, how often can you find readily available parts for 50+year old equipment.

My Dad always said B.E built the drills so well they ran all their competitors out of business and then themselves.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Toolslinger wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:37 am It's going to be handy for tractor repairs....

1965 Bucyrus-Erie H3 Hydrocrane.

The Hydrocrane was the first all hydraulic crane. I guess when they B-E saw it, there was someone smart enough there to know they had better buy the little manufacturer that came up with it. Better to get on the hydraulics band wagon sooner rather than later.

The chart says she'll lift 5 tons with a doubled line, pretty close in to the machine. It's got 35' total boom, one hydraulic section, and one manual. It was setup to take a jib, but that's lost to history now... It's got a Ford 240 6 cyl engine for power plant. That's direct coupled to a split pump that should put out 6000 psi. I get a little stressed sitting around the 2000 psi lines on the tractors. Those 6000 psi lines scare the hell outa me, which is why they're all getting replaced, even though most looked fine.

As much of a headache as our Case gear is with hydraulics, this is worse... There are a whole lot of hoses on this thing.. I've replaced almost all of them now. I think I've got 3 to go on the crane, and then 2 or 3 on the hydraulic clam bucket. I need to have cylinders rebuilt as they bypass a little, which you really don't want on a crane. She's also going to need 165' of new cable, hopefully this summer.

It's all mounted on a 1965 F-750. That's got more issues than the crane, but at least I can generally get parts for that.

Photo is the first actual pick I did with it. Our farm house has winches built in to pull sections of the deck up to cover the windows. Unfortunately, I had a cable fail, and this section crashed down. I had to pick it up to do some repairs, and rerun the cable. Just did the lift, and then blocked the porch. Not going to depend on the system until I'm done with the repairs...

I feel like watching the national geographic. Cool hydraulic crane and deck that lifts up to cover windows. Never heard of either of this things. What is the purpose of covering the windows with parts of the deck?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Toolslinger »

My folks built it as a weekend place. The area has gone through a few runs of thievery and, my father being the excessive type decided that was the easiest way to board up when they weren't there. The porch in the above is something like 10' x 16' covering 5 windows. The far end of the A-Frame is all glass, so that is a crazy double hinged arrangement to cover the whole thing. The triangle of the building is around 30' on a side. Very glad that one didn't come down.

Over the next few years I have to rebuild all the decking. Sadly, the support beams have rotted away here and there. I've got everything braced safely currently, but I can't avoid it. The whole deck was framed with redwood. Held up a good long time, but it's a tough environment with the house pushed in to the woods, and backed up against a stream, and small pond. The underside of the deck never really gets to dry out, even with lots of air circulation due to the piers. Fortunately both hinged areas are in good shape, so I'll be able to save them, and just put in new beams. Crane will be handy then too to remove them whole...

Post by Toolslinger »

Big porch...
Attachments
20200414_193529.jpg

Post by Timj »

Great idea, definitely a very sturdy board up, and not much to stand on to try to get in. :thumbsup: