Troybilt Horse

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
Harry United States of America

Troybilt Horse

Post by Harry »

I've been working on my Troybilt Horse getting it ready for the summer. I transplanted a 13 hp Yin Xiang "Honda" engine in it a few years ago. It runs really sweet and has the power to push dirt and furrow rows. When tilling I usually just idle it. It can be a hand full to use, but I've been using Horse models for years, so I can spin it around in very little space.

Keep the Peace
Harry
Attachments
IMG_0961.JPG
IMG_0960.JPG
IMG_0959.JPG
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Eugen Canada

Re: Troybilt Horse

Post by Eugen »

It's interesting Harry, but what is it? - a walk behind?

A local farmer I know uses a narrow walk behind tiller for the veggie crop. He only tills the row, leaving winter rye between as cover crop and weed protection. Next year he tills the path, and the old rows become the paths in between rows. I have a project walk behind tiller that's waiting for me. I'd like to do what he does, I like that idea. Leaves some of the soil undisturbed. Good for the life in the soil he says.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

The Horse is a great, long lived design. Our first came back in the 70's It was still running, but needed the seals dealt with (which I understand isn't fun), so my father bought a new one after getting tired of pull starting it for 40 years or so. The new unit with battery start did good service while he was still planting. They're both still sitting in the barn. I do make sure I start and run the new unit every year so it doesn't go south on me. The old one started just fine last time I tried. Made sure to run out all the gas before mothballing it again... These tillers do a fabulous job, even in our clay/rock mix out in PA. You best be careful when it hits an immovable object underground though as the handle bars will be moving at a high rate of speed away from said object... After getting it on track, I walk along the outside of the grips. I know where most of the boulders are in the garden, but there's always a new surprise waiting...

Never had a Pony as that was just a little too small, but he bought one from Troy Bilt that is even smaller for use at his house in NJ. It's the same design basically, just tiny. While it works, you had better be working in easy conditions. It's just too lightweight overall.
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I've been using Troybilt Horse rototillers for many years. This one is actually my third one. They are a walk behind rear tine tiller. Mine is an older model but does a very nice job, just takes a lot of time to till a big garden. My soil is rock free so I don't have to worry about it jumping. When I first broke ground and hit a few clay areas it did want to jump but I could just lift it up to prevent the jumping.

Keep the Peace
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226