New project Ford 2N

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
Toolslinger United States of America

Re: New project Ford 2N

Post by Toolslinger »

You should start looking for front wheel weights. The N's are awfully light machines, and if you hang a 5' brush hog off the back, steering can become exciting. There's really no good way to put weight up front other than the wheels. The grill guards that are available really aren't intended to hang weights. Finding the 19" wheel weights took me a bit of time (I think you've got the 19's, and not the 16" wheels at any rate), and I don't recall if there's anything that makes mounting them on the big 5 lug hubs of the early N's harder...

The 9 and 2 N's only have draft control on the 3 point. Ford added position control on the 8N. There are some aftermarket gadgets out there that can give you position control on a 9/2. I have no idea how well they work, but I'd sure have to think about it. Draft is great for moldboard plows, but virtually everything else will run more easily with position, rather than draft.

I will also suggest looking in to the 3 point accessories. I use sway bars on almost every implement. They keep the piece centered behind you. Then there's stay bars. You use them with the drawbar to fix the height of the drawbar (lock the draft control all the way down when using), and also keep it centered. I don't really recall how the 9/2 dealt with a swinging drawbar. I know it existed for the 8's. I've got it, but I've never seen it mounted, or had a use for it on our machine since we always just used the drawbar/stay bar combo.

Very nice that the PO got the floor boards for your N. They were standard on the 8. I can't imagine running a tractor with just a couple pegs to rest your feet on. Way too unnerving for me.
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

With the configuration of the front axle I thought I might be able to make a weight bar if I need to but i haven’t looked into it at this point. The tractor came with sway bars so that’s good. I have to come up with a draw bar for it. I’m not concerned with a swinging draw bar, I’ve got other tractors with that feature if I need it. I’d have to look at the back of the tractor again but I’m not sure where stay bars would hook up. I would think I could make them fairly easy though.

Post by Toolslinger »

The commercial stay bars run to the top link position. They are adjustable in length, so you can set them as needed. I've got one set like that I use on my MF (well, in theory as I've never actually used them on there, but I did sort them out this summer). The set we use on the 8N were built by someone before we owned the tractor. They're not adjustable, built from angle iron which makes them super rigid, and also run to the long pin below the top link position. As long as you don't need to adjust them, I really think that's a much better design. That, of course, all depends on what you're going to hook on there. I'm kinda half toying with modifying the commercial ones I have to run to the long pin as that's a far stronger connection to the tractor, and doesn't put any stress on the top link mechanism. I've seen a few machines with the top link casting broken over the years. Never knew why, but I sure wouldn't want to be sitting there when it lets go.

The regular bumper/brush guard just bolt on the front axle with 2 bolts. I've seen people hanging weights on there, and my uncle did for 1 season with the second N we had for a while. It works, but it's an awful lot of strain on those two bolts since the weight is hanging pretty far forward of them. Might be interesting to look at a way to hang a hunk of steel directly under the axle with a rigid mount. Loose a little ground clearance, but that's never been an issue for us here.

Post by JSinMO »

Toolslinger wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:08 am The regular bumper/brush guard just bolt on the front axle with 2 bolts. I've seen people hanging weights on there, and my uncle did for 1 season with the second N we had for a while. It works, but it's an awful lot of strain on those two bolts since the weight is hanging pretty far forward of them. Might be interesting to look at a way to hang a hunk of steel directly under the axle with a rigid mount. Loose a little ground clearance, but that's never been an issue for us here.
That the idea I had too. I thought it might be possible to hang the weight under the tractor. I guess for now I’ll see how it does and what I think it needs for weight.

I noticed I had a small leak from around the valve cover so I wiggled them out.
IMG_3903.jpeg
While I had them off I checked the valve lash. Made up a couple of new gaskets and wiggled the cover back into place. I have no doubt I should have removed a couple of things to make it easier but I got it done, and no leaks, at least not at the moment! :D
IMG_3904.jpeg
With that done I really wanted to see how it handed the mower. Hooked it up with the sway bars and then I ran into the fist real problem.
IMG_3905.jpeg
It seems there is an issue with the hydraulics. It wouldn’t lift.
I took the inspection cover off and found that if I fuss with the control fork off I can get it to move but something is definitely wrong. It appears the control valve on the pump isn’t being actuated n
71174239660__A104F72B-CBB7-4C52-B219-30714061313E.jpeg
That’s where I quit for the day. I’m still trying to learn how this system works. Looks like tomorrow I’m going in! Looking at the fluid it needs to be changed anyway.
71174214620__465259F9-E651-424C-833B-8717A59B3BAE.jpeg
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I had trouble with the Ferguson in there years ago. Didn’t have lift. There was a little part broke. Can’t remember what it was called. Tight quarters there to work is what I do remember. Had the pump out of mine.

Noel

Post by Toolslinger »

I haven't messed with the engine at all on mine. We had it rebuilt by a ford place quite some time ago now, and all is still well.

3 point issues are far from unheard of... If you check in at the Yesterdays Tractors site/forum there are people that live and breath the N's. I believe there's a relief valve in there that can get stuck. I've seen a number of posts where people are able to just reach in (engine off naturally) and yank on it to free it up. After that, then you start getting in to linkages, or the pump. There isn't a whole lot going on down in there.

That looks like a 5' brush hog you've got. It shouldn't have an issue with that other than being light on the nose.

Post by JSinMO »

So I did a lot of reading and some video watching. Good info for sure but didn’t pinpoint my issue. As it turned out I had 3 problems. :109:
I got the running board and brake out of the way so I had room to feel around in the belly of the tractor.
IMG_3909.jpeg
Turns out the “ T valve” was not connected correctly in the control fork. The reading I did show that this valve was common on the 9N, 2N Fords and TO20, TO30 Fergusons.
IMG_1071.jpeg
I was able to get one hand down in the hole on the valve and a long screwdriver in the other hand to manipulate the fork and get the valve back in place.
Now the valve was working but it still wouldn’t lift right. :headbash: :cuss: I adjusted the quadrant control and the top link spring which is part of the automatic draft control and we have lift! :69:
IMG_3910.jpeg
With that problem solved I went ahead and changed the oil and actually mowed a little just to try it out. It worked great. Seems to be quite comfortable to run. The mower is just light enough that the tractor can run without out front weights. It get a little light going uphill but I can still turn fine! Looking forward to some seat time with it! I even mocked up a little shade for the operator!
IMG_3911.jpeg
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I bet fixing that feels good! Nice :canada: colours umbrella too! :highfive:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Glad you got it fixed Jeff. That tee thing was what was broke on my tea20 Ferguson. That tractor will have no trouble running that. We have a 6’ finish mower on the Ferguson. Works great.

Noel
Attachments
2B2B1E5D-CB73-4676-B0C8-32D194869006.png

Post by JSinMO »

We’re in drought conditions here so not much to mow but there is one spot down by the road that always grows. I decided to take a ride on the 2N and play with the mower I bit more.
IMG_3933.jpeg
I know the mower still need work this fall but for having stuck and worn out blades it still does a pretty nice job!
IMG_3934.jpeg
I did find one problem on the tractor :109:
The belt has been whining but I think it’s just old and need to be replaced. I figured I’d let it whine for awhile and let it shine up the pulleys! :D Well I got to looking at it while it was running and the pulley on the engine it wobbling all around. :109:
IMG_3938.jpeg
I guess I’ll start reading up on it tonight and see if and how I fix that. :writing: I assume it’s keyed but I don’t know that for sure. The tractor was so easy to get going I hope this won’t be a big deal!