One of the others.... JD300

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
Toolslinger United States of America

One of the others.... JD300

Post by Toolslinger »

Well, there are more others than I have Case... With 1 exception they all predate the Case gear...

This is our prime lifter, and muscle at our little PA farm... 1968 JD 300. It's the industrial version of a Deere 1020. 3 cyl Diesel that has been absolutely solid for us. Had to replace a few injectors, and had the injection pump done twice since we got it in 1970 (my folks got all their tractors before they had kids mostly). That block on the back is right about 1 ton of concrete. Lift is right about 2000# up front.
Attachments
20210408_151046.jpg
Eugen Canada

Re: One of the others.... JD300

Post by Eugen »

It's impressive and it looks the part. It must be nice to have it when push comes to shove, Reminds me of the Massey work bull.

Oh, and what does a tonne of cement sit on?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

The cement sits on a subframe. The last layer in the photo that is a little darker in color is steel angle. Runs under the axle, and to the loader frame, with a strap over the axle to add a little more support. The original specs for the unit recommend about that much counterweight for loader use. My folks could have simply gone to Deere and bought the OEM cast unit, but they have a tendency to want to do everything on their own. They never save time, and often it isn't cheaper, but that's just how they roll... I have the same issue as a result, but I try to throw a little logic at it to keep things in check...

It is very much in the same class as a Workbull. Basically the same HP, and weight class. On paper the MF has 200# more lift capability, but the Deere has much nicer power brakes, and a hydraulic reverser, plus a couple more gears.

The Workbull is peeking in from the left side of the photo... That gets its own post soon... Just got it started, and out of the barn since a couple years ago...
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Toolslinger wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:53 am The cement sits on a subframe. The last layer in the photo that is a little darker in color is steel angle. Runs under the axle, and to the loader frame, with a strap over the axle to add a little more support.
Well, I was wondering what you rest a tonne of concrete on. Not related to this I have been thinking last night about the loader that I'd like to build on the 446, and I had a similar idea, to have a sub-frame for the loader rather than connect it directly to the tractor frame. But on the 446 I don't think I could extend this subframe past the rear axles.
The original specs for the unit recommend about that much counterweight for loader use. My folks could have simply gone to Deere and bought the OEM cast unit, but they have a tendency to want to do everything on their own. They never save time, and often it isn't cheaper, but that's just how they roll... I have the same issue as a result, but I try to throw a little logic at it to keep things in check...

I recognize the syndrome, I think I have the same disease/tendency to do everything myself. My wife is my sanity check, as I tend to get carried away with such things. I should say many things. :D :pullhair:
It is very much in the same class as a Workbull. Basically the same HP, and weight class. On paper the MF has 200# more lift capability, but the Deere has much nicer power brakes, and a hydraulic reverser, plus a couple more gears.

The Workbull is peeking in from the left side of the photo... That gets its own post soon... Just got it started, and out of the barn since a couple years ago...
Lucky :54: guy you get to play with all these cool toys! Looking forward to it! :spin:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: