Hay! Lets make some hay.

You're cheating on your Case with another tractor! We want all the dirty details!
Eugen Canada

Re: Hay! Lets make some hay.

Post by Eugen »

Good ramble Jeff. Perhaps if you were doing production agriculture you'd want newer equipment with dealer support and all that. I've heard though that farmers really don't like equipment that ties them to dealers because of the software that now runs on modern stuff. I like this old equipment myself and if I had some acres there would be a lot more tractors here. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Great ramble about using older equipment Jeff... there is a lot to be said about working with equipment you can fix yourself. It made me sad :109: when scrap steel prices were really high 15 years ago - going into scrapyards to work on cranes and seeing all the rusty "gems" people were dragging over the scales so they could cash in on equipment granddad had left behind the barn or up against a fence in the back 40. :headbash:

Finding replacement parts gets more challenging as they get older, but I'd definitely prefer to have a tractor with no computers on board... I do like some of the safety features on newer equipment though - especially cabs/ROPS - having a close call with a open tractor can leave you feeling very vulnerable - in a "shake hands with danger" kinda way - not just a bad case of sunburn :oops: :dizzy:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@Eugen @RoamingGnome thanks guys! And you’re both right. If I were really in production I would want newer stuff. Less breakdowns and safer! This stuff was all built way before OSHA. Shake hands with danger is right! But it can all be used safely if you have a some experience and are diligent about safety. I guess what is really on my mind is that it seems like I blinked and all this stuff was obsolete and just about every body was ready to put it all into the dust bin of history. I guess I’m just not ready to let go yet! :D

For today’s example of that thought, here is the 1939 Farmall M and 1960s New Holland baler I saved from the scrap yard. After a lot of adjustment and some aggravation the 3 of us made over 150 hay bales today!
IMG_8568.jpeg
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That's a good number there, 150! If you think about it, adjustments and some aggravation in life is more rewarding than seeking comfort. There's also a strange good feeling about not letting these old tractors and implements go to the melting furnace. I have that too. :thumbsup: nice pictures!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by JSinMO »

I thought I’d throw a few more hay pictures out now that we’re done with our first cutting. I ended up with a total of 200 bales which is pretty good for one small field. This has shown me that it should be easily possible to raise 2 or 3 calves and have enough hay to support them. Since we’re all hat and no cattle around here at this point, this hay went to market. 160 bales are already sold and I hope the rest will be gone soon. Unfortunately we are in the beginning stages of a drought in this part of the world. If I held onto the bales Im sure I could have made more profit later in the year, but I’m really not interested in taking advantage of that situation, I guess I’ll never be a big time business man but I sleep good at night!

It was quite a bit of labor but a lot of it was very enjoyable. I even got Herbie into the mix!
IMG_3683.jpeg
IMG_3686.jpeg
IMG_3687.jpeg
IMG_3688.jpeg
IMG_3689.jpeg
IMG_3690.jpeg
I hope you all enjoyed the pictures and story. Thanks for coming with us, I appreciate it! :thumbsup:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I have enjoyed both the pictures and the story, thank you for taking us along!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Great to see all your projects at work. Thanks for sharing! :cheers:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)

Post by JSinMO »

With the weather forecast showing dry all week today was the day to make 2nd cut hay! I haven’t got a pitman are for the “new mower” yet so the 2N had to sit this one out. Hopefully it’ll get some cutting done soon. Had to wait for the dew to burn off so I got started about noon.
IMG_4022.jpeg
This turned out to be a full days work! The mower just kept plugging up. Felt like I was on and off the tractor 300 times! :headbash: :pullhair: with our summer of drought the grass didn’t grow much. I don’t think this mower like the shorter stuff. But it did eventually get it done. I don’t think I’ll get quite as many bales this time. Hopefully I’ll be making bale’s Saturday!
IMG_4023.jpeg

Post by JSinMO »

Thought I’d share a couple of pictures from raking hay today.
IMG_4028.jpeg
IMG_4029.jpeg
IMG_4030.jpeg
IMG_4036.jpeg
IMG_4038.jpeg
It was an absolutely beautiful day to be out on a tractor!
Planning on making bales tomorrow!
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That looks like so much fun! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E