Page 1 of 1

All electric.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:06 am
by propane1
A grass cutting business here boasts using all electric tools to cut your grass. The grass they were doing there was long and wet. Not cut in two to three weeks or so I’d say. The zero turn electric mower was going about as half as fast as pushing a push mower. Going very slow. But they got it done. And looked good. But a gas zero turn would have done it in a 1/4 or less of the time. Any way, that’s the way things are going. Like it or not. :hm:

Noel

Re: All electric.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:02 pm
by Eugen
I wonder if it's going to be the same with electric engines as it was with digital photography. I remember when the first digital cameras came out, they were really expensive, and the picture quality didn't seem to come close to that of film. Look at it now, films is pretty much gone, and only those who still like film for the "feeling" you get out of it still use it, but not for quality or price.

The way things look now I think I'll be using my kohler k321 engine for the rest of my life. Remains to be seen if that holds. :cheers:

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:28 pm
by DavidBarkey
Dodge has debuted a new all electric muscle car . Daytona , come complete with a sound system that plays real performance engine sound tracks . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:39 pm
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:28 pm Dodge has debuted a new all electric muscle car . Daytona , come complete with a sound system that plays real performance engine sound tracks . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some of the Teslas have an acceleration on par with supercars costing many times more. At that point does one really care about the sound it makes anymore? I think the loud growling engine is something that we got to associate in our minds with powerful engines. But that, in my opinion, will change in new generations. My prediction is that new generations will grow up with a whizz type of sound from a very powerful electric car, or who knows, some other technology like fusion or jet propulsion, and will look back at a thumping v8 some kind of obsolete uncool dinosaur.

When I was younger I got a real kick out of the growling sound of a powerful engine, car or motorcycle. It now bothers me greatly when they go by with their deafening sound. :( And when 3 harley guys gun their bikes right as they pass our house and our toddler wakes up from the nap, crying, I get furious at them. Nothing I can do about it, all I'm saying is, perceptions change. My ramble for today :violin:

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:04 pm
by thebuildist
For electric cars and trucks and equipment I have two words: Energy Density.

The battery in a Tesla Model 3 has about 300 million Joules of energy.

One gallon of gasoline contains 120 million Joules of energy. So a Tesla carries the equivalent energy of 2.5 gallons of gas. And it takes HOURS to pump those 2.5 gallons into the car. The car uses aerodynamics and efficient propulsion and things like regenerative braking to get anything approaching normal range. But you don't actually have too much energy on board. So if you hit snags, you're in trouble. Snags like temperatures above 90F, which decreases your range by 30%. Snags like temperatures below zeroF, which decreases range by 45%. (Is it inconvenient to run out of battery in the middle of nowhere when it's 20 below zero? Asking for a friend...)

Fun fact: The new F150 Lightning truck has almost 300 miles of range on a full charge. Unless you're towing a trailer in the summer. Then you can drive 80 miles on a FULL CHARGE. How long does it take to cross North America at the rate of 80 miles per day? Is this a step forward? Asking for a friend.

I think I'll stick with real cars and leave the electric carts on the golf course.

"WAIT!", you say, "the world may get better batteries with more research!". Could be. It is early days, battery research and improvement didn't start in earnest until the decade before Titanic sank. We've only had 120 years to find better batteries! Surely they'll find something DRAMATICALLY BETTER any minute, right?

Meanwhile, is it possible to just stubbornly keep using what actually works, even if they stop selling them new?

I guess I'll think about that the next time I'm mowing with a 1972 gasoline tractor....

Bob

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:42 pm
by propane1
Ya, I typed out a ramble. But. I got carried away. So deleted it. It’s all about money. Not the environment. There got carried away again.

Just My Opinion.

Noel

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:09 pm
by JSinMO
@thebuildist Well said! With the advancements made with fuel efficiency in internal combustion engines I can’t justify going to electric. My everyday driver is a 2010 Mustang that gets 28 miles to the gallon and there are plenty of vehicles that blow that number away now days. I think about what I paid for the car used and the years I’ve driven it I don’t see how I would have saved much if anything going to electric.

Will technology change? Undoubtedly.
Will people be transported from here to there in some different way in the future? Most likely. But that day isn’t today.

@Eugen I still love the sound of a power engine. As they say there’s no substitute for cubic inches, but there is a time and place for it.
I understand your frustration, I guess people don’t think about that when there having their ‘Easy Rider moment”. I hope they wise up for you, or find some other road to go down.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:31 pm
by Eugen
Maybe I gave you guys the wrong impression, I would not go electric now or in the foreseeable future. Technology can sometimes make a big jump when least expected.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:57 pm
by thebuildist
Eugen wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:31 pm Maybe I gave you guys the wrong impression, I would not go electric now or in the foreseeable future. Technology can sometimes make a big jump when least expected.
No misunderstanding. But I have a SORE spot because I have otherwise intelligent family members who are like, "Demand for oil will drop 90% in the next 7 years." and "If they only sell electric cars, then they have to work."

And I'm like, "I wish they'd pass a law that we all have to sprout wings and learn to fly. I get jealous of the birds."

People don't really think things through.

Not you, Eugen. But folks I know who ought to know better. And now I'm too touchy about it.

Sorry.

Bob

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:25 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:31 pm Maybe I gave you guys the wrong impression, I would not go electric now or in the foreseeable future. Technology can sometimes make a big jump when least expected.
I agree with your prediction. I think there will be an advancement that changes the way we travel at some point. I was reading the Wikipedia page for electric vehicles. I thought it was interesting that back in 19 teens and twenty’s they were talking about a lot of the things we discuss today. Cost of electric over gas, range etc. I didn’t realize how many electric vehicles were in the world back then.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:21 pm
by Eugen
Not worries Bob, you actually gave me some good for thought. Indeed gas and diesel have really high energy density per volume. There was a joke when we were kids that I liked. This guy was walking down the street pulling behind him an enormous cart. Some kids stop him and ask what the time is. The guy says it's 10am, 20 minutes, 35 seconds, and 42 milliseconds. He then tells the kids the exact time in all capitals on the globe, and all planets in the solar system, and all kind of other trivia. The kids are mightily impressed. As he was about to leave, one kid can't help himself and asks what's so big and heavy in the cart he's pulling. The watch batteries, he says. This was before computers were as small as a watch. But you get my point.

I suppose they could make a car big enough to haul much bigger batteries. Another thing is that if there was a national network if service, and if car batteries were easily replaced, after whatever many miles you'd pull over, back up your car to the replacement slot, and a robotic arm would replace your battery with a fully charged one. You'd pay for the charge only, and some sort of membership for the batteries and system maintenance. It even doesn't make sense to own the batteries. Here's my SF ramble for tonight. :D

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:35 pm
by MattA
People will eventually get over electric car range anxiety as the public charging infrastructure improves. The same problem existed when internal combustion cars were new. Most electric car owners charge up a partially discharged battery at home overnight on a level 2 240V charger and have a full battery at the start of the day with around 300 miles of range where as with an internal combustion vehicle you fill up when needed and typically don't start out with the full vehicle range.

Hyundai's new Ionic 5 car has the ability to charge from about 10% to 80% state of charge (roughly 240miles of range) in 17 minutes when connected to a 350KW DC fast charger (that's 350,000 watts). Now this does require the DC fast charger to be outputting its maximum power, the car's battery to be in the optimal temperature range (not freezing cold) ect... Using fast chargers in the 50KW to 150KW range obviously takes longer and could take upwards of an hour or so to charge the battery to 80%.

The math to figure it out is relatively easy... the car has approximately 70KWH (that's 70 kilowatt hours, 70,000 watt hours) of battery storage (think gallons in your gas tank) and your charging at 50KW. 70WKH / 50KW = 1.4 hours charge time. Sure there are charging losses (<10%) but I'm trying to keep things simple here.

Why fast charge to 80%? Beyond 80% the battery charge rate decreases. The reasoning has to with the rate at which the batteries can safely absorb the charge. Likely also has to do with preserving the batteries usable life.

What if the battery becomes depleted? Hyundai's Ionic 5 has something called vehicle to load (V2L) which is essentially an inverter which you can use to power appliances or charge another vehicle. In North America I think the output is 15Amps at 120VAC. Your not going to charge an electric vehicle very fast at 1.8KW. Your probably adding 6-7 miles of range per hour. I believe the F150 lightning also has this capability with somewhere in the 10KW range output. Certainly enough to charge another vehicle or run your power tools at the job site. There are apps to help you locate fast charging stations so you don't run out of charge. You certainly don't want to be stuck somewhere charging from 120VAC. That could take nearly two days.

Its been almost 10 years since I left my job as an electrical engineer in the lithium ion battery industry. I can tell you the battery capacity has been steadily increasing while the price has been steadily decreasing. I don't know exactly how much because I do something else for a living. I do see a lot of activity around solid state batteries promising much more storage capacity while being safer but I'm really not up to speed on the solid state batteries.

Well there's my rant for now. Didn't mean to rant for so long :thumbsup: Hopefully I won't get flamed or didn't offend anyone :cheers:

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:50 pm
by Eugen
I think we're able to have an opinion here without bothering others, that's why it's called an opinion LOL

Good points Matt. In my opinion, everything has a time and a place, and not everything is a good fit for everyone. At the moment an all electric vehicle isn't a good fit for me. For once, it's too expensive to buy. But I do like to at least read about new technology. No harm in armchair-speculating about electric tractors either. :violin:

As for myself, at this very moment I would like a small D100 backhoe for the 644, and a diesel engine. No harm in dreaming either.

:j

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:32 pm
by Spike188
At one time in life I considered building a backhoe that could be ran off of 240volt 3 phase. Ideal for use indoors.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:36 pm
by Timj
My brother in law works for a lawn and garden dealer and they sell small tractors and machinery. He said they took on a line of battery powered skid loaders. They were supposed to last 8 hours. He said the company rep didn't give an answer for how long they would keep that run time. So time will tell. He said the large dairy farms have been buying them up. They like the no exhaust in the buildings and can plug them in when not in use.
I believe there's a time and place for everything. If you have a little lawn, there is some good pluses to an electric mower. As for me, I have a large lawn and I love to hear my Onan's working.

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:37 pm
by thebuildist
There is no question that lithium ion batteries have higher performance than the NiMH and lead acid batteries that they replaced. And LiON batteries do seem to be making steady incremental increases in density and price attractiveness.

Perhaps some day they'll compete with hydrocarbons. But as of now, hydrocarbon powered vehicles are are at least 10 times better than battery operated. So the battery cars have a ways to go.

Battery cars are too expensive. And will only get more so as Lithium reserves are already under strain, even though the theoretical market for LiON batteries isn't even 2% filled. Every home on earth and every car on the planet and every Truck on the highway and every tractor in every field, and every ship in the ocean and presumably every plane in the sky is supposed to have a massive LiON battery. There isn't enough lithium on the planet to make the first round, let alone replace them all 5 to 10 years later.

Battery cars have too little range, as I expressed in my first post.

Battery cars take too long to recharge. A battery swap scheme would help. But that makes them even more expensive.

Battery cars are too hard on the environment. It is said that more emissions are expended in the manufacture of the electric batteries than the equivalent car will emit in its entire lifetime. I don't know if that's true or not, but it seems possible. And there is currently no economically viable solution for LiON battery recycling, unless you front load an EVEN HIGHER price on the cars. So those batteries are currently going into landfills, which is going to be a full-on environmental disaster down the road. Our grandkids will look back and say, "How could they let that HAPPEN?"

Battery cars are too hard on the electric grid. One battery powered car takes the same grid capacity as three to five normal homes. Multiple states are already straining to meet peak electric demand. Wind and solar generation have already added a lot of stress to the grid, and every electric car that's sold is pushing the grid to the breaking point even faster.

Battery cars remove population travel autonomy. They are a central planners' dream, because the omniscient bureaucrats can restrict who is allowed to charge their cars and when, which gives them complete control over the population's ability to travel. But I'm so arrogant and smug, I think I can do a better job running my own life than then geniuses in D.C. can. Crazy me, right?

A breakthrough battery would change a lot of this, not all of it. But breakthroughs cannot be commanded into existence. You can hope for them, but you can't plan for them. Will there ever be a battery breakthrough? Maybe. Maybe not.

So, will electric cars ever become truly viable? I have my doubts. What I worry about is the omniscient geniuses announcing that we're required by law to give up cars that work in exchange for pretend cars that don't. Like California just announced. The more people that can be mislead into thinking of battery cars as being equivalent to real cars, the less pushback there will be when such an irresponsible, ridiculous policy is announced.

So I want to illustrate the reality to anyone unfortunate enough to be stuck reading what I've posted! :)) Because we're going to have to stand shoulder to shoulder to fight off the evil schemes of the clueless elites.

Bob

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:32 pm
by DavidBarkey
What we need right now is a Flux Capacitor factory And a Dilithium Crystal mine and anti-gravity generators to jump start the electric vehicle revolution.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:42 pm
by thebuildist
I'm done ranting, but I just came across this and it's timely and eye-opening.

If you have a late model Chevy Volt with 70,000 miles, it's probably time for a new battery. Here's what it costs:
volt-bill2.jpg
Do you think they're still glad they took the "free" $7.000 government money as incentive for buying this car?

My heart breaks for some young couple who finally gets a few dollars scraped together to where they can finally buy a new car. And they get tricked into buying one of these. Drive it for 70K and then take it to the scrap yard. They may even still owe money on the loan.

It's just shameful what's being done.

Bob

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:40 pm
by Eugen
Terrible!

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:39 am
by MattA
It will be interesting to see how the electric grid evolves to meet the demand of electric cars. I think a lot of the demand is going to come from solar panels with lithium ion battery backed storage. The reason I say this is that it’s easier, cheaper and more efficient to upgrade the grid at the point of use rather than try to beef up the entire grid. Right now the electric usage over the day is following what is referred to the duck curve. Basically electric demand drops mid day due to everyone’s solar panel systems coming online and then in the evening there is a sharp rise in electric demand due to everyone returning home from work and everyone’s solar panel systems going offline. People with battery backed solar systems can draw from the batteries overnight. My electric company now has a program where they will pay you $235/year per kilowatt of electricity you can put on the grid during the peak demand with a limit of 60 times per year. Basically they are developing a smarter electric grid to meet the peak demand without adding more power generation stations. Ford (and possibly other vehicle manufacturers) have been working vehicle to grid technology where your electric vehicle can help power the grid during peak demand (and power your house during a power outage). With electric vehicles we can set the time and the rate at which they charge. A lot of electric vehicle charging happens overnight when the electric grid demand is at its lowest. This is also due to some electric companies offering lower rates between midnight and 6am.

Now that Volt repair bill is ridiculous. I've seen the same happen to Tesla and Nissan Leaf owners especially in southern states where the cars bake in the sun all day. GM's supplier LG has had some trouble with battery cells. Part of the issue here is that the dealers are not setup to repair the battery packs. The dealers simply replace the entire battery pack. The problem could be the battery management system (BMS) or even a single cell in the series string. That single bad cell limits the entire battery packs usable capacity.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:38 am
by thebuildist
Good, well-informed reply. You and I probably don't agree about it all, but I can appreciate that you know what you're talking about and you're not just spouting the common propaganda.

I personally don't believe that electric cars' basic usability and battery disposal issues will be resolved, nor the grid problems resolved before California's irresponsible gas car ban in 2035. I don't think it will even be close. Unless they cancel it/reschedule it, many will suffer, and some will die. (Due to being unexpectedly stranded in extreme temperatures)

Bob

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:20 pm
by MattA
I'm not into politics but I also don't agree with California's ban on sales of internal combustion vehicles by 2035 or the present ban on small internal combustion engines (tractors ect). I would like to own an electric vehicle some day but our next vehicle will likely be a small hybrid SUV. The hybrids seem to do a good job at bridging the gap between internal combustion and electric vehicles. Just don't call my hybrid a prius :cuss: :headbash:

I don't think all people are ready for electric cars or even hybrids yet. A recent toyota survey found 75% of toyota owners think a hybrid needs to be plugged in and 66% of toyota owners think an electric vehicle has a gasoline engine. To me this is truly mind blowing but I'm a bit of a car nut too.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:52 pm
by Spike188
https://www.american-rails.com/gensets.html

Being a former and now recovered Foamer

Battery powered goats have been around for over a decade. A lot of the EV market was driven by refining electronic control of DC to AC current in locomotives. The link below gives a bit an insight into what may be the future of motive power in vehicles. Hydrogen Fuel Cells are still being experimented with in the railroad industry.

https://www.american-rails.com/gensets.html

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:11 am
by MattA
The genset switcher was a good concept, up to three 700hp tier whatever compliant diesels that fired up on demand when more power was needed and load shared. Unfortunately I've read they had reliability problems and were not great pullers. I've actually got an MTH O gauge model.

There has also been some recent activity around EMD's new Joule electric locomotive. I don't know a whole lot about it other than the railroads are buying small fleets to try out.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:38 am
by Eugen
I noticed an ad on the local marketplace for hydrogen hybrid kit and conversion for 1400 CAD. Made me really think about it with the current gas prices. Maybe we should open a discussion on this.

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:43 am
by propane1
Way over my wittle brain power what you fellas are talking about. :D
I’ll throw this in. I didn’t see this myself, but my son and wife told me about this with in the last few days.
A company here in Stratford, PE is going to take 2009 to 2013 Toyota cars, Corollas I think, and make mini trucks out of them. And change them to all electric drive. Sounds a bit crazy to me. But some people would like to have little trucks so you could easily use the bed part with out needing a ladder to get into the bed of new trucks. Imagine the hoops to get through with DOT and insurance people to get that approved for the road. Most of those cars around here are rusted out by now. Must be getting them from down south.

There now, a Saturday morning ramble for your entertainment. Have a good day gentlemen.

Noel

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:55 pm
by MattA
Well first California passes a bill to ban the sales of internal combustion cars and now during the recent heat wave they issues a state of emergency asking EV owners not to charge there EV's during peak times. California also just passed a bill to upgrade the electrical grid.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/governo ... exclusive/