Sleeve hitch for a 446 ?

Shoot the breeze here.
Eugen Canada

Re: Sleeve hitch for a 446 ?

Post by Eugen »

Propane57 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:52 am One sod plow, tandem disks, cultivator, potatoe hiller, and there maybe one or two more. Nice to wrap a chain around a post or log and use the sleeve hitch to lift it. A little easier to drag that way.

Norl
oh yeah Noel, you really need a sleeve hitch!!!! :bee:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

So.... the wheels have been turning a little bit on the subject of these sleeve hitches. :35: here are a few of my thoughts and observations.
1. There seems to always be someone looking for one. Where there is plenty of tractors there seems to be plenty of used ones. The lift links seem to be a common missing item or are too short.
2. There is a fair amount of traffic on the various groups about building one. The most common complaint for doing this is that there's a fair amount of information missing from the plans to build one. :7: I think this would be a project for us to improve this plan with the missing measurements and offsets. I think adding it to our plans section would be good for the forum. @ras101

3. I don't have one and don't know if I really have a need for one, but was thinking about what it would cost to build one. Thought maybe could build some to sell when I was slow in the winter. Did a little material pricing online, don't know if the prices were competitive or not. It didn't take long to get to $200 in steel just for the major components. :40:

My ramble for this morning, @Propane57 I hope it helps. :cheers:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Timj wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:19 am So.... the wheels have been turning a little bit on the subject of these sleeve hitches. :35: here are a few of my thoughts and observations.
1. There seems to always be someone looking for one. Where there is plenty of tractors there seems to be plenty of used ones. The lift links seem to be a common missing item or are too short.
Indeed. The 446 I got a while ago came with a sleeve hitch which had the lift link replaced by a rebar. It was well made and it worked perfectly, but yes, no longer in original state. My garden never did notice the difference, but if I were to go to a show maybe I'd make a replacement out of 1/4 steel bar.
2. There is a fair amount of traffic on the various groups about building one. The most common complaint for doing this is that there's a fair amount of information missing from the plans to build one. :7: I think this would be a project for us to improve this plan with the missing measurements and offsets. I think adding it to our plans section would be good for the forum. @ras101
I really think I should do that, as I have several sleeve hitches around here, if only I could find the time. I'll try.
3. I don't have one and don't know if I really have a need for one, but was thinking about what it would cost to build one. Thought maybe could build some to sell when I was slow in the winter. Did a little material pricing online, don't know if the prices were competitive or not. It didn't take long to get to $200 in steel just for the major components. :40:

My ramble for this morning, @Propane57 I hope it helps. :cheers:
I think the most complicated part is the two brackets that bolt onto the frame, but even that is not so bad, really. Not surprising the price would get up there, with the increase in price of steel and everything else. :(
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Thanks Tim. Great ramble. So I was thinking, that’s not good :giggle: , one doesn't really have to make one the same as the Case model. Having the three holes is a neat idea to put the attachments on to, but is it really needed. Some of the attachments already have three holes in them for some small adjustments. So a person maybe could make it a little different than the Case model and maybe simpler. This would make it easier and less costly to make, maybe. My metal working tools and skill is limited, so for me a simpler design maybe better, and help with the cost. :106:

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:57 am Thanks Tim. Great ramble. So I was thinking, that’s not good :giggle: , one doesn't really have to make one the same as the Case model. Having the three holes is a neat idea to put the attachments on to, but is it really needed. Some of the attachments already have three holes in them for some small adjustments. So a person maybe could make it a little different than the Case model and maybe simpler. This would make it easier and less costly to make, maybe. My metal working tools and skill is limited, so for me a simpler design maybe better, and help with the cost. :106:

Noel
image.png
just for Ideas , god know I like the build my own designs .
But , I have never heard a negative comment about the Case design . May not be the simplest but seams to have stud the test of time .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

David that looks terrific, you do great work!

Keep the Peace :peace: :cop:
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

At some point Ingersoll beefed up the sleeve hitch to handle the side drive tiller. If someone has one, we should get the dimensions of it. :highfive:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Harry wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:27 pm David that looks terrific, you do great work!

Keep the Peace :peace: :cop:
Harry
Thanks Harry , But I did not build this one but have made ones like this . I had to borrow this from the net for show and tell. This design works well on older GTs. with the lower brackets part of the axle like the Ford LTs, Alice Chalmers . Simplicity , Bolens ect.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder