Just an observation on things for sale

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: Just an observation on things for sale

Post by JSinMO »

@Timj i can’t believe you passed up the chance to pay more for a green tractor and get less! :D. John Deere has one heck of a marketing department don’t they! I guess I can’t be to down on them. They do make good equipment, there just awful pricey.

You have me thinking of when I was a kid at home. We did have a local Case dealer and some guys did have Case equipment, in fact that is where my 830 came from, but they were a minority. You would see some Massey, Allis Chalmers, or John Deere, but at that time in our area International Harvester was most popular. Over the years John Deere has just about taken over ag in the area.

I guess it really makes sense that I don’t see many GT’s in this area. When I was a kid a lot of the adults had grown up during the depression and WW2. If they could get it done with what they had they wouldn’t buy something else. My dad always kept a garden. When it needed to be plowed under or disced he went to the shed and got the same equipment we used in the field. I don’t think he ever thought of having a smaller tractor for the garden or around the house. I think a lot of guy from that era were that way. Heck my grandfather bought a new Farmall M in the 1940s and we were still using in the 1990s!

I would have to assume around here anyway lower popularity and frugal farmers probably played a big part in the lack of GT sitting in barns today.

Noel is supposed to do the rambling around here and now it seems I’ve gone on a long one!
Anyway just some thoughts and remembering of how it used to be
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Hehe. Great ramble JSinMO. I’d say your very correct on people not having money to by extra equipment when they already had some some to do the job, in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s some. Same way around here. Until it seems about the nineties. People started buying subcompact and compact tractors and the like. Kubota dealer here has all kinds of sub and compact tractor in stock to chose from. JD has some too. Kioti has good supply of tractors, But MF has nothing. Less dealers here now, and very little in used small tractors around now. Twenty years ago there was a good amount of dealers and used older smaller tractors for sale.

There now, not to bad of a ramble. :D

Noel
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

JSinMO wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:46 am @Timj i can’t believe you passed up the chance to pay more for a green tractor and get less! :D. John Deere has one heck of a marketing department don’t they! I guess I can’t be to down on them. They do make good equipment, there just awful pricey.

You have me thinking of when I was a kid at home. We did have a local Case dealer and some guys did have Case equipment, in fact that is where my 830 came from, but they were a minority. You would see some Massey, Allis Chalmers, or John Deere, but at that time in our area International Harvester was most popular. Over the years John Deere has just about taken over ag in the area.

I guess it really makes sense that I don’t see many GT’s in this area. When I was a kid a lot of the adults had grown up during the depression and WW2. If they could get it done with what they had they wouldn’t buy something else. My dad always kept a garden. When it needed to be plowed under or disced he went to the shed and got the same equipment we used in the field. I don’t think he ever thought of having a smaller tractor for the garden or around the house. I think a lot of guy from that era were that way. Heck my grandfather bought a new Farmall M in the 1940s and we were still using in the 1990s!

I would have to assume around here anyway lower popularity and frugal farmers probably played a big part in the lack of GT sitting in barns today.

Noel is supposed to do the rambling around here and now it seems I’ve gone on a long one!
Anyway just some thoughts and remembering of how it used to be
Good ramble @JSinMO and spot on. Years ago money was tight and people lived within their means. Even if you worked harder, as long as the job got done. Companies built things to last. Gt's were built like tractors, that's why they are so popular today.
The '48 8n my grandfather bought new is still going. For many years it was the families garden tractor.
The Simplicity I grew up on was about 10yrs old when we got it. A lady that had a weekend home in the area that my dad did some handyman stuff for gave it to him. Her grounds keeper had gotten to close to the edge and it rolled down a cliff along Lake Michigan at her home in Milwaukee. The dealership said it was junk and sold her a new one. My Dad straightened it out. That thing ran daily when I was a kid. It's been cannibalized now but the implements are still around.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:

Post by JSinMO »

Well fellas, I just can’t believe it. After starting this thread about never seeing tractors for sale, I found out today there is an auction coming up 10 miles from me with a boat load of Case tractors and equipment!

I came home and made my case ( no pun intended) too she who holds the bank book. At the very least I plan to attend the sale. Not sure what will happen from there. If nothing else I’ll try to get some pictures and sale prices.

The sale isn’t till September so I guess I need to work on scrapping what I can together.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

And so it starts! :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

JSinMO wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:14 pm Well fellas, I just can’t believe it. After starting this thread about never seeing tractors for sale, I found out today there is an auction coming up 10 miles from me with a boat load of Case tractors and equipment!

I came home and made my case ( no pun intended) too she who holds the bank book. At the very least I plan to attend the sale. Not sure what will happen from there. If nothing else I’ll try to get some pictures and sale prices.

The sale isn’t till September so I guess I need to work on scrapping what I can together.
Hehe. JSinMO I need a sleeve hitch for my 1982 Case 446. And a 48” mowing deck for my 1975 Case 224. Hehe.

Noel :D
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

:rofl: ya, you have to get a Case cash stash, which seems to be harder and harder to grow. :106: you must never let :wife: find out about. :114: or else :45: :70: :please: :fight: :no: :bla: :112: :((

Auctions seem to go three ways on these CCI tractors, if there's Case guys around they go about average price unless it's rare. If some uninformed unknowing person wants it it'll go high. The rest of the time auctions seem to the place to get a bargain.

If you go, you will find out how popular they are in your area. Collections will draw more from farther away versus a single tractor. Going is better than online bidding.
Good luck :highfive:
Last edited by Timj on Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:

Post by JSinMO »

Propane57 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:17 pm
JSinMO wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:14 pm Well fellas, I just can’t believe it. After starting this thread about never seeing tractors for sale, I found out today there is an auction coming up 10 miles from me with a boat load of Case tractors and equipment!

Hehe. JSinMO I need a sleeve hitch for my 1982 Case 446. And a 48” mowing deck for my 1975 Case 224. Hehe.

Noel :D
When I saw the auction notice I thought of your hitch situation! Don’t know how I’d get a mower deck to you but we’ll see if there is a hitch laying around.

Post by JSinMO »

Timj wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:36 pm :rofl: ya, you have to get a Case cash stash, which seems to harder and harder to grow. :106: you must never let :wife: find out about. :114: or :45: :70: :please: :fight: :no: :bla: :112: :((

Auctions seem to go three ways on these CCI tractors, if there's Case guys around they go about average price unless it's rare. If some uninformed unknowing person wants it it'll go high. The rest of the time auctions seem to the place to get a bargain.

If you go, you will find out how popular they are in your area. Collections will draw more from farther away versus a single tractor. Going is better than online bidding.
Good luck :highfive:
IF something were to come home with me it would be tractor number 7, so I can’t blame her for giving me a sideways look! However SHE has shown interest in operating one. She doesn’t go for my big tractors. But if she gets into garden tractors that would be great!

The gentleman holding the auction apparently was a large Case collector with all manor of tractors and equipment large and small with the big item being a 1916 Case automobile. This will probably draw a large case group. But you never know. On a limited budget I’d be hoping on a good price on a non running one that I can fix.
And yes I agree i want to be there to bid. I like being able to kick the tires, look in the gas tank, etc. online bidding doesn’t interest me at all. Half the fun of an auction is being there!

They don’t have the official sale bill out yet, but it sounds like all garden tractors come with mower decks.

We’ll see what happens!

Post by JSinMO »

We’ll this auction is a week away and I must say I’m getting excited to go. There are a few things I’m interested in. It’s going to be an all day affair, he has sheds full of Case equipment. Here’s a list of the GT equipment the gentleman is selling.

3 – Case 446 lawn tractors with mower decks
Case snow blower for 200 series tractors
Case 220-222 & 224 lawn tractors w/ mower decks (note 224 has bad motor)
Case lawn sweep
2 – Case front mount blades
2 – Case garden carts
Case hydraulic tiller

This is the only picture of the GT on the sale bill
11B9672E-2922-44CD-9758-7F4367E72555.jpeg
I been rolling numbers around in my head trying to decide where I want to be on price.
I’m leaning towards trying for one of the 446’s, but the 224 with the “bad motor” may be the deal of the day.