Page 1 of 1

Excavator in my backyard

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:22 pm
by Harry
I'm having a new sand filter septic system installed at my house in the next few days. The contractor showed up ths morning with this nice excavator to do the digging for the pits. One for the new septic tank and pump tank and another for the sand pit. It should be an interesting process to witness.

Keep the Peace :peace: :cop:
Harry

Re: Excavator in my backyard

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:36 pm
by Toolslinger
Think of the trouble you could make with that...

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:28 pm
by DavidBarkey
@Harry . you must be heavy clay there or is it bedrock close to surface

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:28 pm
by Harry
Very heavy clay here David. A guy is dumping 22 ton of stone next to the excavator as I write this. I'll see how well that turns out!

Harry

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:49 pm
by Eugen
That's exciting @Harry ! Hope it all goes well! Don't forget us, maybe post a few pictures as the project goes on. :please:

Now I realize we don't have a backhoe and an excavator smiley. We need them! :d

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:17 pm
by Harry
Tomorrow early the games begin in digging two big holes in my backyard. The stone was delivered today and the sand will be delivered tomorrow morning. The contractor told me they would be removing about five tamden loads of soil, which I told him to leave on site. Behind my shed is where they will be dumping all the clay soil. I'm planning on removing some of my topsoil in low areas with my two tractors. The 646 to rototill up the areas and the the 644lbh to dig a little deeper and backfill. I'll post some pics as it happens.

Harry

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:53 pm
by Harry
With an excavator this huge digging has been done quickly. The installation of tanks went quickly also. Sand was just dropped off and driver went for another load. He has to drive 1.5 hours to get this special filter sand certified by the state. Then 1.5 hours back and do it again for a second load. That sounds insane to me. I'll post more pics as the project continues.

Harry

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:24 pm
by JSinMO
He’s moving right along. I’d like to know what it takes to certified sand for a septic system. Either way looks like it will be done quick.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:03 am
by Harry
When I tooked at the sand it appeared to be very corse to me compared to what I would call sand like on a beach. If you walked on it with your bare feet, it would probably hurt your feet.
Yesterday they deliver more sand and more stone all which gets buried in the pit. More digging to remove more dirt all piled high.

Harry

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:28 am
by Timj
Harry you are definitely going to have a little work ahead of you to get the yard back in shape, but won't have to worry about a bigger problem. :sick:
Here in WI they don't do the sand filter systems, if you have heavy soil or high ground water you end up with a mound system. They work, but no more flat yard. :112:

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:21 pm
by Harry
In the estimate the contractor is suppose to fix the backyard. I was going to have him move any unused soil behind the shed and I can take it from there.

Keep the Peace :peace: :cop: Harry

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:07 pm
by Eugen
I'm enjoying seeing the pictures and progress @Harry !

@Timj same thing here, need a raised filter bed in those situations.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:09 am
by Harry
Contractor came back on the weekend. He trenched to the road with the mini excavator. Then ran two 4" pvc lines to the road in the trench. One line is for downspouts from my house. The other is for the water that comes out of the sand pit. He also made a distribution area of perforated pipe in gravel to distribute the water in the soil before it goes to the road. Most of the project should be completed, except for the mess! :(

Harry

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:19 pm
by MattA
Dump truck driver could have lowered the third axle when backing over your lawn. In theory it should spread out the weight to help with sinking into your lawn.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:16 pm
by Harry
After the dump truck delivered the contractor drove over the same area with his skidster, many times moving stone to the front yard. It flattened out quit a bit. The rutting is minimal compared to the large holes that have to be filled in. I'm curious of what it will look like when he says he's done and leave the rest for me. It can't happen soon enough for the :wife: . I just laugh and say nothing happens overnight! :65: :65: :)) :)) :)) :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Harry

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:42 pm
by Eugen
Harry wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:16 pm After the dump truck delivered the contractor drove over the same area with his skidster, many times moving stone to the front yard. It flattened out quit a bit. The rutting is minimal compared to the large holes that have to be filled in. I'm curious of what it will look like when he says he's done and leave the rest for me. It can't happen soon enough for the :wife: . I just laugh and say nothing happens overnight! :65: :65: :)) :)) :)) :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Harry
Sometimes our lovely :wife: don't know what's involved in certain types of jobs. Long time ago I spent one year working in a coal mine as labourer. Hard physical work was a real thing, made worse by the lack of space. The miners were sometimes ranting their :wife: don't understand why they come home exhausted. They'd say "told my wife take this axe go under the bed and chop that big log, maybe she understands what I do at work" :D

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:07 am
by Harry
Finally the contractor has completed the job except for the leveling and planting grass, which won't happen until fall. The alarm had to be reset after it was going off because the flot was adjusted to close to the pump float. It's a much better system since all the water will not be going into my backyard.

Harry

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:05 am
by Eugen
Great peace of mind now Harry, and lucky you that it can all be below grade! :thumbsup:

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:44 am
by Harry
While digging in the pile of dirt from the excavation I found this digger tooth. Not sure what I will use it for but I'll clean it up to repurpose for something! It certainly was not from the contractors excavator.

Harry

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:51 pm
by JSinMO
Its interesting what turns up when you start moving dirt. Keep digging Harry, maybe the rest of the machine is in there!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:05 pm
by Eugen
That can be useful!

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:25 am
by Harry
I can remember when I was growing up in a farming community, the farmers would find cannon balls when working their fields.

Harry

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:52 am
by DavidBarkey
@Harry Tell the grand-kids that it is a dino tooth from a Ironasorass . :giggle: ;)

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:22 am
by Harry
The contractor finally showed up today to put the lawn in. Most of the dirt seemed to have settled well and rain is in the forecast for the next few days. Hopefully it will go well, and the grass starts growing soon.

Keep the Peace :cop: :peace:
Harry