Post your winter tractor setups

Shoot the breeze here.
Eugen Canada

Re: Post your winter tractor setups

Post by Eugen »

Timj wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:25 pm I have just started to have issues with the neutral safety switch, have to wiggle the travel lever to get it to start sometimes. Not looking forward to what is to come. But I guess with 1300 hours....
Tim
Hard access to the switch Tim? :114:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:42 pm
Timj wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:25 pm I have just started to have issues with the neutral safety switch, have to wiggle the travel lever to get it to start sometimes. Not looking forward to what is to come. But I guess with 1300 hours....
Tim
Hard access to the switch Tim? :114:
I haven't even looked in there yet. It might not be that bad, I just hate that electric stuff.
I don't have a heated place to work on it at home, should probably bring it in to my shop and make some time to work on it while I'm hiding from the cold.
Probably should get it fixed before it snows and I need it, and jiggling the lever doesn't work. :rofl:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Tim - If you get stuck and your starter won't crank due to the various interlock switches, turn your ignition switch to the run position, connect an automotive jumper cable to the batteries positive terminal and touch the other end of the jumper cable to your starters positive input connection. Expect a decent spark as the starter starts to crank. Essentially your bypassing the interlock system that controls the starter solenoid and also bypassing the starter solenoid. Wouldn't hurt to thread a nut over the starters positive input stud so that you don't melt the threads. I don't have an Onan but if you have access to the starter solenoid, you could also manually trigger the solenoid (I "think" applying +12V to the solenoid should activate it).

I know it sounds kind of rough but we used it as kids to start our 1990's craftsman (MTD at that point?) tractor (12HP Briggs) until we could get the solenoid replaced.
Ingersoll 4016
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Tim,

Are you getting a click at the starter but no spin? If so read this thread. It started with the click no spin and moved up to how JD's Onan's suffered from a voltage drop from all of the many safety's, and fixed it by installing a relay to supply adequate power to the solenoid.

https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/threa ... ion.69338/

:cheers:
Gordy
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

MattA wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:35 pm Tim - If you get stuck and your starter won't crank due to the various interlock switches, turn your ignition switch to the run position, connect an automotive jumper cable to the batteries positive terminal and touch the other end of the jumper cable to your starters positive input connection. Expect a decent spark as the starter starts to crank. Essentially your bypassing the interlock system that controls the starter solenoid and also bypassing the starter solenoid. Wouldn't hurt to thread a nut over the starters positive input stud so that you don't melt the threads. I don't have an Onan but if you have access to the starter solenoid, you could also manually trigger the solenoid (I "think" applying +12V to the solenoid should activate it).

I know it sounds kind of rough but we used it as kids to start our 1990's craftsman (MTD at that point?) tractor (12HP Briggs) until we could get the solenoid replaced.
There is a less sparky/violent way to do that on tractors with the 4 terminaled solenoids. There are 2 small terminals, one is power from the ignition switch. The other is ground threw the safety switches, simply put a small jumper on that terminal to ground. Please remember this should only be a test or emergency procedure.

:cheers:
Gordy

Post by MattA »

Shot some pictures of my finished weight setup while getting ready for the storm today. Looks much better with the painted weights. The weights are separated by a stack of oversized flat washers. At some point I'd like to get some hairpin cotter pins to hold the setup together.
Attachments
20220128_163113.jpg
20220128_163102.jpg
20220128_163051.jpg
Ingersoll 4016
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Indeed! This colour suits those weights much better!!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Looks great.

Noel

Post by MattA »

Thought I used to have a snow blowing thread for posting videos but I couldn't find it. This works...

Case 446 with Onan 20HP XSL

Ingersoll 4016
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

You guys are SO LUCKY. We never get snow here. Maybe 1/2" of slush every other year, gone by the afternoon. And a full on ice storm, where there's an inch of pure ice on all the surfaces. With no salt, the roads are impassable, and all the tree limbs fall down due to the weight, which knock down all the power lines and the power's out for a week.

BUT OTHER THAN THAT, no winter weather at all. Darkness and rain and humid cold.

So I don't have a snowcaster. Or a cab. Or any winter related need for a blade.

It's just a sad, sad tale.

I hope you folks at least feel a little guilty when you think of all the things I don't get to experience. No losing feeling in my fingers or toes. No chapped face. No burning tingle when the feeling comes back. No slipping on the ice. No rusted out fender wells. No driving in whiteout conditions. None of that for me.

You guys are SO LUCKY.

:cool:

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"