Pictures: this moment

Shoot the breeze here.
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Re: Pictures: this moment

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

JSinMO wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:09 pm
Toolslinger wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:31 am
JSinMO wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:25 am This batch of parts are for the 2N Ford to see if I can get it to start easier in cold weather. I’d really like to use it and the 446 for winter duty instead of having to get my Case 830 out. The 830 does a good job but it’s big and heavy. I got it stuck one winter and had a bear of a time getting it out so I’d like to try the smaller tractors. The 446 could use some things but it starts right up no matter the temperature and functions fine so I’m going to just run it.
And with that I’ll end my tractor shuffling ramble for the this morning!
Are you still running the 6v system?

My 8n is still 6v, and really has no serious issue with the cold. Basic stuff to deal with naturally. Points, condenser, coil, rotor, cap. Nice hot plugs, and solid core wire. Worst part is just getting to that damn distributer. I've read over, and over that the Tisco points are garbage, and sadly that's what the New Holland shop stocks now, and what I just put in since it was an emergency. I ordered some Echlin out of Napa to have ready, and also have been told the Blue Streak by Standard are excellent quality. The only thing I'd change is going to UTF in the trans/rear to improve winter performance. I have seen people put heaters in the collant system to keep the block toasty, and no doubt that would help too.
No this tractor was converted to 12 volt with electronic ignition before I got it. I would have preferred a points and condenser set up but that might just be my own bias as that is what I’m used to. The electric ignition is supposed to be very reliable but at this point I’m not convinced. I’ll go into more detail on my thinking and plan probably this weekend when I have time to spend in the shop.
As far as the rear end / hydraulic oil I’m running 80/90 weight. If you clutch the tractor when starting it will crank a lot better since the hydraulic pump isn’t turning. Of course once running you still have to wait for that heavy oil to warm up before you have good hydraulics. I don’t see a reason you couldn’t use UTF though as long as the pump can build the same pressure with thinner oil. I believe my Farmalls originally called for straight 30 weight in the hydraulics, but I’ve used standard hydraulic oil in them for years and years and they work just fine. Our Fords are from the same era…..

Ironically, the electronic ignition may be the issue. While I'm not an authority on the old Fords (even though yes, I still have great grandpa's), with all engines that I'm familiar with, electronic ignition takes a higher cranking speed to generate a spark than points/condenser. Under the circumstances, your best bet may be to try to increase the cranking speed with a stronger battery and lighter fluids. Although not applicable with your 2N Ford, you can't beat a good old magneto for a strong spark with a slow crank.

Bob
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

I've read plenty of success storyies useing the UTF, with the note that wear can cause either lack of pressure, or fast drop. Other than that I can't imagine any other issue.

I can't change over due to my uncle who is the co-owner. He's absolutly set on not changing it. Of course he leaves for Florida the second the first leaf falls in the fall, and doesn't return until mid May... Changing to UTF after he leaves, and back to the 90 in the spring just doesn't make sense from the money side. I'm more likely to just get a wider back blade, and run my MF 135 in the winter.
I currently just start it, and let it run for the hour I am working with the snowblower. It's bordering on useable after that, but even that's slow...

I'm always amused by the guys that insist that the old 6v units need to be "upgraded" to the 12v. I mean 12v would be nice for accessory/lighting purposes, but when the tractor isn't completely flogged out, the 6v will work just fine, and you're not going to be happy with a flogged out tractor running 12v either... On top of that, the 6v batteries hold their charge way better than the 12v's as far as I can tell... There's a 6v in my Diamond T that's gotta be 10-15 years old, and it always works.
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@myerslawnandgarden i haven’t done my homework yet on electronic ignition, but what your saying does confirm what i was thinking. It does appear this need a faster cranking speed. And I surely agree a hot mag would work!

@Toolslinger I have 3 or 4 tractors that are still on their original 6v positive ground system. I agree with you. If the system is in good shape with good connections that 6v will work just fine. I’ve never seen a need to convert them. they start and charge just as they should. That’s why I kind of wish this Ford was still original.

Maybe you should drain and save the 90 weight oil and try the UTF. Is your uncle the kind of guy that would take oil samples to see what’s in there? :giggle:

I’m just kidding and please don’t take that advice! I would not want to see a squabble start over rear end oil. Sounds like you have the right idea to leave it alone and get a blade for your 135. That MF is probably a more capable machine anyway.
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Jb weld works good for a lot of things. Stopping a gas leak not so much??? Sadly, whoever did this didn't even stop the leak. A recent purchase (park model trailer) at an rv campground. I'm in the process of a renovation on it, and look what I find. I'm glad this was an easy fix. Image

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Those are the ones that just make you shake your head... :headbash:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Oh no! :!: :109:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Well, at least it's after the valve... That's the only good thing I can think there...
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Spending an unbelievably mild February evening in my happy place. A question came to my mind. Why do I have such an affinity for this old stuff? I didn’t come up with an answer, just a smile as I turned off the shop light for the night.
IMG_4588.jpeg
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Well, since we have almost no snow left in northern Michigan and the lake is froze over, I've been getting out on the ice when I get the opportunity. I didn't feel like trailering my snowmobile to the ice, so I picked up this ride for free. Threw some screws in the tires for traction and away I go. Lol hopefully I don't ever actually need to use one of these but hey it sure beats walking.Image

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

JSinMO wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:53 pm Spending an unbelievably mild February evening in my happy place. A question came to my mind. Why do I have such an affinity for this old stuff? I didn’t come up with an answer, just a smile as I turned off the shop light for the night.

IMG_4588.jpeg
I would enjoy a view like that too! :cool: :8:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: