Pictures: this moment

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: Pictures: this moment

Post by JSinMO »

Is it wrong that I always get excited when tractor parts are delivered? :congrats: :69: :D
IMG_4527.jpeg
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@JSinMO Not at all , and your :wife: should just as happy . The more time spent in the shop is lees time you are "underfoot". :rofl:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@JSinMO I share in that predicament! :gift:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

JSinMO wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:10 pm Is it wrong that I always get excited when tractor parts are delivered? :congrats: :69: :D IMG_4527.jpeg
Not at all, it's like Christmas or your birthday. :69:
:creeper: deck's on, blades sharp, let's go it's time to mow :48: :446cart:
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

I think Santa wears brown the other 364 days of the year...
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

JSinMO wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:10 pm Is it wrong that I always get excited when tractor parts are delivered? :congrats: :69: :D IMG_4527.jpeg
Which tractor are you fixing?
Ingersoll 4016

Post by JSinMO »

MattA wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:57 am
Which tractor are you fixing?
This batch of parts are for the 2N Ford to see if I can get it to start easier in cold weather. I’d really like to use it and the 446 for winter duty instead of having to get my Case 830 out. The 830 does a good job but it’s big and heavy. I got it stuck one winter and had a bear of a time getting it out so I’d like to try the smaller tractors. The 446 could use some things but it starts right up no matter the temperature and functions fine so I’m going to just run it.
And with that I’ll end my tractor shuffling ramble for the this morning!
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Just seeing you guys talking about parts and fixing this or that makes me itchy for getting on some project pretty badly! :spin: :bee:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

JSinMO wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:25 am This batch of parts are for the 2N Ford to see if I can get it to start easier in cold weather. I’d really like to use it and the 446 for winter duty instead of having to get my Case 830 out. The 830 does a good job but it’s big and heavy. I got it stuck one winter and had a bear of a time getting it out so I’d like to try the smaller tractors. The 446 could use some things but it starts right up no matter the temperature and functions fine so I’m going to just run it.
Are you still running the 6v system?

My 8n is still 6v, and really has no serious issue with the cold. Basic stuff to deal with naturally. Points, condenser, coil, rotor, cap. Nice hot plugs, and solid core wire. Worst part is just getting to that damn distributer. I've read over, and over that the Tisco points are garbage, and sadly that's what the New Holland shop stocks now, and what I just put in since it was an emergency. I ordered some Echlin out of Napa to have ready, and also have been told the Blue Streak by Standard are excellent quality. The only thing I'd change is going to UTF in the trans/rear to improve winter performance. I have seen people put heaters in the collant system to keep the block toasty, and no doubt that would help too.

Post by JSinMO »

Toolslinger wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:31 am
JSinMO wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:25 am This batch of parts are for the 2N Ford to see if I can get it to start easier in cold weather. I’d really like to use it and the 446 for winter duty instead of having to get my Case 830 out. The 830 does a good job but it’s big and heavy. I got it stuck one winter and had a bear of a time getting it out so I’d like to try the smaller tractors. The 446 could use some things but it starts right up no matter the temperature and functions fine so I’m going to just run it.
Are you still running the 6v system?

My 8n is still 6v, and really has no serious issue with the cold. Basic stuff to deal with naturally. Points, condenser, coil, rotor, cap. Nice hot plugs, and solid core wire. Worst part is just getting to that damn distributer. I've read over, and over that the Tisco points are garbage, and sadly that's what the New Holland shop stocks now, and what I just put in since it was an emergency. I ordered some Echlin out of Napa to have ready, and also have been told the Blue Streak by Standard are excellent quality. The only thing I'd change is going to UTF in the trans/rear to improve winter performance. I have seen people put heaters in the collant system to keep the block toasty, and no doubt that would help too.
No this tractor was converted to 12 volt with electronic ignition before I got it. I would have preferred a points and condenser set up but that might just be my own bias as that is what I’m used to. The electric ignition is supposed to be very reliable but at this point I’m not convinced. I’ll go into more detail on my thinking and plan probably this weekend when I have time to spend in the shop.
As far as the rear end / hydraulic oil I’m running 80/90 weight. If you clutch the tractor when starting it will crank a lot better since the hydraulic pump isn’t turning. Of course once running you still have to wait for that heavy oil to warm up before you have good hydraulics. I don’t see a reason you couldn’t use UTF though as long as the pump can build the same pressure with thinner oil. I believe my Farmalls originally called for straight 30 weight in the hydraulics, but I’ve used standard hydraulic oil in them for years and years and they work just fine. Our Fords are from the same era…..