Pictures: this moment

Shoot the breeze here.
Eugen Canada

Re: Pictures: this moment

Post by Eugen »

Gordy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:58 pm Been a crazy summer so far. One job an hour from home was 12 hour days + drive time, another 1.25 hrs from home and 14 hour days :40: , both jobs I was driving off road haul trucks. In between those jobs was 8-10 hrs just up the road at a pheasant farm, helping with chores and rebuilding pens that were torn down this spring in a huge wind storm. I think my body is trying to tell me I'm too old for this crap, Sleep late an extra 3 hours and a 2-3 hour nap at mid day on the days off. Not much time left for the computer or getting anything done at home. Just one :drink: for the bed.

Retiring at 62 has been looking really good lately that's a little over a month away :spin:

:cheers:
Gordy
Wow! :O that's gotta be tough to be doing for a long time!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:39 pm
Gordy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:57 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:37 am
Partials bounce off you face then the back of the glasses and into you eye . :cuss: :pullhair:
Talk about freak out moments, when bent over the table welding and a little molten blob lands on the inside of your safety glasses and rolls circles in front of your eye :109:

Gordy

Working on a cars wheel wells welding in a patch . Squatting down ,sitting on heals welding away when a spark reminds you the pants you are wearing has the crotch out of them . Your neighbour sudden think you are chasing a :pig: from the squealing and :cuss: going on .
I had a plant manager tell me he was a welder at a nuke plant. If you stopped a weld before it was completed, you had to grind out the weld and start over. He was standing up overhead welding. A large cherry dropped into his shirt and rolled down his chest and belly to get stuck at the beltline, when he instinctively did the wiggle and jiggle the cherry rolled past the inside of the beltline to come to a stop on the little head :(( and 2 more feet of weld to do :(( He said :wife: was not happy for about 3 weeks.

Ever get to listen to one sizzling in your ear canal? :107:

Gordy
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Good to see you posting Gordy. Was wondering how you were doing. Maybe try dialing back the hours? Take Wednesday off? I'm on the 5 day plan myself... make it through Friday with work and the kids.
Ingersoll 4016
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

All that grinding helmet needs is a pressurized air supply :rofl:
Ingersoll 4016

Post by Gordy »

Eugen wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:25 pm
Gordy wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:58 pm Been a crazy summer so far. One job an hour from home was 12 hour days + drive time, another 1.25 hrs from home and 14 hour days :40: , both jobs I was driving off road haul trucks. In between those jobs was 8-10 hrs just up the road at a pheasant farm, helping with chores and rebuilding pens that were torn down this spring in a huge wind storm. I think my body is trying to tell me I'm too old for this crap, Sleep late an extra 3 hours and a 2-3 hour nap at mid day on the days off. Not much time left for the computer or getting anything done at home. Just one :drink: for the bed.

Retiring at 62 has been looking really good lately that's a little over a month away :spin:

Gordy
Wow! :O that's gotta be tough to be doing for a long time!
Yep: Keep telling myself tough it out to get the social security and pension built up a little more, before I start taking out of them. Those 5 hour energy shots work too just not too close to bedtime :43:

Gordy
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

@Gordy I am 4 years older than you and recovering from 2-1/2 years of medication conflicts. Now that health issues seem to be behind me, reverting to your kind of hours has been tempting. Customers that require one way drive of over an 1-1/2 are now required to foot lodging and per deium. It is just to dangerous driving long distances after after an 8 hour or longer day.

Last fall I took a job jacking up an 18 × 20 garage and moved it back 20". We broke out the old floor and attempted to pour a new one.

"Attemped," is the key word. The first fail was it the drop of temperature to delow freezing which stopped the set. I ran out of energy about a 1/2 hour into the pour. The pour was finished by 7:30 but at 4:30 water was still standing. I tried to cheat and toss mortar mix on it and force the set.

The end result was a 1" hump under the overhead door and a 3/4" dip in a back corner. After months of reviewing option a recovery plan was drafted.
image.png
First part of the plan grinding the hump off. The grinder rent with tax was $225 for a day. The hump under the door was 1" × 10' about 2' wide. It came off in 5 hours

The hole was filled with 4 bags of non shrink grout. To add insult to injury I did the infill with out using knee pads.
image.png
Did I forget to mention that my jeans had a hole in the knee.

The one who must be obeyed :wife: is still giving me grief.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH

Post by Gordy »

MattA wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:34 pm Good to see you posting Gordy. Was wondering how you were doing. Maybe try dialing back the hours? Take Wednesday off? I'm on the 5 day plan myself... make it through Friday with work and the kids.
Matt, I hear you. But in construction you either take what they offer you, or sit at home and wait for something better with no income while you wait.Sometimes that can be a long wait.

The pheasant farm would be an excellent retirement job once the pens rebuild is finished. 1.5 miles from the house, and 4 to 6 hrs a day depending on what needs doing.

Spike, I have had a few cement burns, but nowhere near that bad ouch. And yes :wife: did not like this last job I would leave 2 hours before she got up and I got home 1 hour after her bed time.

Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That must've been painful @Spike188 ! :109:

You guys have had some adventures!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I too use to work that hard and long . Had all my life , did not know anything else . Now because of it, I am doing well to be productive for more than 6 hrs.now and have many frustrating limitations . After that I can only do dumb stuff and no driving . Carefull, because injuries when you are older take a lot longer to heal and may bring on early retirement in a way you are not planning . I am fortunate that I am able to be back working part time in my shop at home . The realization that I may not get much better than that has haunted me the last couple of months as it nears the 1 year mark since my surgery .
So plaese be careful
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:59 am I too use to work that hard and long . Had all my life , did not know anything else . Now because of it, I am doing well to be productive for more than 6 hrs.now and have many frustrating limitations . After that I can only do dumb stuff and no driving . Carefull, because injuries when you are older take a lot longer to heal and may bring on early retirement in a way you are not planning . I am fortunate that I am able to be back working part time in my shop at home . The realization that I may not get much better than that has haunted me the last couple of months as it nears the 1 year mark since my surgery .
So plaese be careful
I understand what your saying. I’ve just got to that point in life where I’m realizing there are some things I can’t do anymore. I watch my son and see how agile and quick he is and I realize I just can’t move like that anymore. Some old injuries do pop back up from time to time but thankfully nothing debilitating. I hope you continue to recover. When you can’t do the things we all love doing it sure can be miserable.