Page 1 of 1

Woke up again this morning

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:04 am
by Eugen
So here it is, another day alive, and thank God for that.

Sunny morning here, 6C/43F, with a high of 11C/52F and some rain in the afternoon. Still have some snow on the ground, but rapidly thawing. Our sump pump is running pretty much every couple of minutes. Doesn't help that the water table here is really high.
20210310090226.jpg

Re: Woke up again this morning

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:06 pm
by Harry
It currently is 68 degrees F at my location. Most of the snow is gone, only piles of dirty snow in piles from the snow plows. Suppose to rain tomorrow evening which should get rid of most of the piles.

Keep the Peace
Harry

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:00 pm
by Gordy
I woke up above the sod too :D It was raining and 34f out, close to being a big mess :P Actually still could be tonight. We have had a string of above average warm weather, and yesterday set a new record high at 67f. The only snow left here is also the man made piles and they are shrinking fast :)

Cheers,
Gordy

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:51 am
by DavidBarkey
I woke up this morning to 12C / 53F and a light warm breeze out of the south . Lost a lot of snow over the last 48 hours :D . Hoping the melt continues at a nice constant slow rate . We are much like everyone else . Had enough of Covid and winter . Need to get outside and enjoy our little 2 acre farm . Got out with the wife for a road trip and brought back a 222 I had rebuilt 2 years ago , see buy and sell as I may sell it .
Dave

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:13 am
by Eugen
That's right Dave, I'm also looking forward to be done with this covid. I want Spring and garden and tractor play time!

Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:24 am
by Eugen
In the big city today with work. Beautiful sunny day 8c 46f in Toronto.

Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:51 am
by Spike188
A sure sign of spring. First laundry on the line for 2021

cloths line.jpg

And snow melted off of the garden yesterday, exposing sprouting garlic.

garlic is up.jpg

Both a thing of beauty!

Spike

Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:13 am
by DavidBarkey
Almost all snows gone except the banks here .
:D
Dave

Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:39 am
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:13 am Almost all snows gone except the banks here .
:D
Dave
Yeah, I'm flooded! It's nice you're on that hill there, I'm at the bottom of the hill :(

But you know, we'll get another snowfall right? It'd be amazing if we don't!

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:54 am
by Eugen
We're back to -4c 25f. At least it's sunny.

I haven't used my motorcycle since last year. Found the new front tire flat, the bead came off. This front tire was quite a pain to put on. Had to do both the strap trick and lighter fluid trick to get the bead on last year. Looks like I have to do it again. Will give a try today.

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:10 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:54 am We're back to -4c 25f. At least it's sunny.

I haven't used my motorcycle since last year. Found the new front tire flat, the bead came off. This front tire was quite a pain to put on. Had to do both the strap trick and lighter fluid trick to get the bead on last year. Looks like I have to do it again. Will give a try today.
Take it to Tire Busters , they can do it with a bead blaster as long as you can use a stand to hold it off the ground on your trailer.
Dave

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:13 pm
by Eugen
Took a few tries but now it's back on.
9FFFFC0D-94AA-4F1F-90CB-65EDA3BC725A.jpeg

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:11 am
by Eugen
A cloudy day with a high of 2c 36f. Snow is gone from the garden, that garlic better be tough!

My bike front tire, which I reseated the bead on a few days ago, is losing some pressure. :( Oh well, it's not really riding weather.

It's funny how things work out or don't sometimes in your life. A story for today. The other day someone was selling a bunch of hydraulic stuff that came off a street sweeper. There were some hoses, a 3 spool hydraulic control valve, and some cylinders. I was most interested in the valve, as I've been dreaming of building a loader for one of the 400 series tractors I have. He had everything at 250 CAD, and about 3 hours away from me, which means I'd have to be gone from home for 6 hours. With two small children at home, two jobs, I can't go away from home for that long, so I posted for help here and on the other case site. Didn't have much hope, but then I got a message from Mike, the owner of enginebore.com. Someone he knew lives in the town where the parts are located, and works in Toronto. Turns out that, whether I like it or not, one of my jobs takes me to Toronto sometimes every week. And that person was willing to help for a small token. Getting the parts this week.

DF35F80D-C590-4F65-9D41-BD4B95A26BB1.png
A039BCAB-22B6-4248-9ACA-6F9E70FA1E2E.png

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:48 pm
by Harry
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!

Keep the Peace
Harry

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:30 pm
by Timj
Nice! Yep sometimes things just work out. Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.
Tim

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:09 pm
by Eugen
A full day. Family, church, oil change on the truck, and a few moments of warm sunshine on the face while out strolling our 18 months old. No time for tractors today, and very little the last few days. Tried to fix an email transport issue on the site, from the phone, while strolling the sleepy baby, it didn't work.Still a great day to close my eye lids on.

Hope to see you all tomorrow!

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:16 am
by Eugen
4c 39f with a high of 17c 63f today.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:54 am
by Spike188
With temperatures like that, honey bees will be out if they made it through the winter. I fear that ours didn't.

Spikle

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:38 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:16 am 4c 39f with a high of 17c 63f today.
Not to brag but it was up to 19c here :D
Dave

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:29 am
by Eugen
12c/54f here, a beautilful day with sun and clouds. I feel energized to start working on that k321 rebuild. :D

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:22 pm
by Chad
Eugen wrote:12c/54f here, a beautilful day with sun and clouds. I feel energized to start working on that k321 rebuild. :D
Nice Eugen! That'll be a fun project.

16c here currently, going to 20 later today! Then a cold front moves in and a big thunderstorm...then single digits for a while after that, but nice preview of what's to come (hopefully soon!)

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:17 am
by Eugen
-3c/2f7 with a high of -1c/30f but sunny. Looking forward to do some work on or with the tractor, but now other priorities are ahead of me. :115:

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:35 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:17 am -3c/2f7 with a high of -1c/30f but sunny. Looking forward to do some work on or with the tractor, but now other priorities are ahead of me. :115:
Ah that sun shine is nice in side the cab of Frankie as I do laps around the garden towing the disks.
Dave

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:20 pm
by Eugen
Woke up this morning and didn't know what the day had in store for me. Do we ever?

There was this guy who put a backhoe for sale and have been looking for one for some time. He says it's all working fine, has a 26" digging bucket and looks quite sturdy. Seems to be a Henry backhow, but no idea what model. Looking into it maybe get it at the end of the week. I had no idea my wife would agree to get this backhow, when I woke up this morning. :violin:
backhoe1.jpg

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:18 am
by Timj
Nice find, it should be handy to have around. Let us know if it pans out and you get it. :thumbsup:
You never know what they are thinking, :dizzy: sometimes you get surprised, but it's best when they are on board. :69:

:violin: Got shot down on a nice package over the weekend, going to take a while to get over it. :(( 85 226 less than 400hrs, mower, blower, sweeper, tiller, splitter, weights, and chains $2300. Looked lightly used. :(( Oh well, :106:

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:25 am
by Eugen
ÀH guy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:18 am :violin: Got shot down on a nice package over the weekend, going to take a while to get over it. :(( 85 226 less than 400hrs, mower, blower, sweeper, tiller, splitter, weights, and chains $2300. Looked lightly used. :(( Oh well, :106:
:O wow! One of those! Was it far from you ?

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:27 am
by Spike188
Awoke to doves calling at sun rise. Doves have been around for a few days but this is the first time for filling the morning with song. The 4016 and 60" deck is lurking in the shed, beckoning to be serviced. Grass is growing fast this week.

Have a great day

Spike

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:50 am
by Timj
Eugen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:25 am
ÀH guy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:18 am :violin: Got shot down on a nice package over the weekend, going to take a while to get over it. :(( 85 226 less than 400hrs, mower, blower, sweeper, tiller, splitter, weights, and chains $2300. Looked lightly used. :(( Oh well, :106:
:O wow! One of those! Was it far from you ?
It was about 2 1/2 hours away. Came up on marketplace, so I have to ask her to reply to add. :please:
I thought it was a good way to spend some of our stimulus money. :D Didn't have quite enough in the Case cash stash to go it alone. :((

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:19 am
by Timj
Spike188 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:27 am Awoke to doves calling at sun rise. Doves have been around for a few days but this is the first time for filling the morning with song. The 4016 and 60" deck is lurking in the shed, beckoning to be serviced. Grass is growing fast this week.

Have a great day

Spike
Starting to green up here, but woke to the the grass poking through a layer of the white stuff. :barf: but it's melting fast. :cool:
Suns out, it'll be a good day.
:geek: Tim

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:42 pm
by Timj
ÀH guy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:19 am
Spike188 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:27 am Awoke to doves calling at sun rise. Doves have been around for a few days but this is the first time for filling the morning with song. The 4016 and 60" deck is lurking in the shed, beckoning to be serviced. Grass is growing fast this week.

Have a great day

Spike
Starting to green up here, but woke to the the grass poking through a layer of the white stuff. :barf: but it's melting fast. :cool:
Suns out, it'll be a good day.
So, that snow we had Wednesday morning must have had Miracle Grow in it. :106: Not that warm out, but a couple of days of sun and it looks like I'll be mowing within a week. :48:
Got home before dark tonight and started to prepare; :creeper: oil change in the 4118, blades off to sharpen, clean and grease deck. Should be able to get it on and be ready to mow over the weekend.
:thumbsup: Tim

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:05 pm
by Eugen
There's some fun coming your way Tim! :thumbsup:

I've had three days out of the Twilight zone. We're now in a severe lock down, as cases in Ontario have increased exponentially and hospitals are afraid they'll soon have to decide to shift respirators to those who have a higher chance of survival. The premier of Ontario (like a governor of a state) has announced that we can expect police to stop you on the street and ask for justification of where you're going. So, I don't think I'll be able to go pick that 444 up. It's paid for, but I don't know how patient the seller is. :40:

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:27 pm
by Timj
Eugen wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:05 pm There's some fun coming your way Tim! :thumbsup:

I've had three days out of the Twilight zone. We're now in a severe lock down, as cases in Ontario have increased exponentially and hospitals are afraid they'll soon have to decide to shift respirators to those who have a higher chance of survival. The premier of Ontario (like a governor of a state) has announced that we can expect police to stop you on the street and ask for justification of where you're going. So, I don't think I'll be able to go pick that 444 up. It's paid for, but I don't know how patient the seller is. :40:
Wow, that's strict, hang in there and stay safe

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:32 pm
by Eugen
My wife developed a fever and body aches, no other symptoms, a few days ago. Of course we were worried :42:, thinking it may be covid. Took her for the covid test yesterday, but the fever subsided and we got the result today, negative, so we are relieved. Phew! :phew:

Hope to pick that pile of 444 this weekend. :please:

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:36 am
by Eugen
I woke up again this morning. Earlier than usual. These days we wake up often during the night, either the 3 month old or the 19 month old starts crying, several times a night. Somehow, in some strange way, I don't feel that tired during the day.

Today couldn't go back to sleep, had work left from last night and it's quiet at 5AM, a good time to get some focus.

Must chase away thougts of welding, a new chuck for the lathe, the potatoes that haven't made it into the garden yet, and the poorly adjusted carb on the 644. I might get an hour or two of work in now. :bla:

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:34 am
by Eugen
... to an invasion of caterpillars! Nature afirming its rights.

Tomorrow hopefully will pick up the Case garden cart. That's exciting! :smash: :cheers:

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:16 am
by Eugen
Barely woke up this morning, the lack of sleep is accumulating. After a whole day with the job, kids, and chores, I still look forward going to my tiny tiny shop and do a little something related to one of the tractors. But it's catching up with me, going to sleep around 2AM every day, waking up several times during the night (babies crying) and waking up early in the morning. Not complaining, I would not trade my life with anyone. However tired I feel, I also feel blessed.

Yesterday our 21 months old, Timothy, said "daddy, start small tractor do garden" so we took the 644 for a spin through the garden with the moldboard plow. Was not necessary, but it felt so good. He really likes our tractors! And so do I! :smash: :cheers:

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:27 pm
by Timj
Looking back now, I don't know how we did it, but we did. The lack of sleep thing was easier when we were younger. For a while it seems like it's never going to end, but before you know it they're grown up. :124:
Our youngest daughter started college last week. The house seems pretty empty. :(
Hang in there Buddy. :highfive:
Tim

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:43 pm
by Jancoe
I feel the pain. I have a 5y old boy and a 10y old girl. Sleepless nights are normal and you will eventually one day get full night of sleep. Im still waiting for the day just so you know. Lol gotta push through. My boy absolutely loves my tractors and if he hears one start I can guarantee you he will come to it in a matter of seconds. He always wants to drive them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:44 pm
by Seabee
"I woke up this morning, and I am not dead! Again!"

Willy Nelson

Bill Moyer

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:04 pm
by Eugen
Seabee wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:44 pm "I woke up this morning, and I am not dead! Again!"

Willy Nelson

Bill Moyer
I love Willy! :D I quote his songs often around here.

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:58 pm
by MattA
Eugen wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:16 am Barely woke up this morning, the lack of sleep is accumulating. After a whole day with the job, kids, and chores, I still look forward going to my tiny tiny shop and do a little something related to one of the tractors. But it's catching up with me, going to sleep around 2AM every day, waking up several times during the night (babies crying) and waking up early in the morning. Not complaining, I would not trade my life with anyone. However tired I feel, I also feel blessed.

Yesterday our 21 months old, Timothy, said "daddy, start small tractor do garden" so we took the 644 for a spin through the garden with the moldboard plow. Was not necessary, but it felt so good. He really likes our tractors! And so do I! :smash: :cheers:
Might be a good time to take a night off :drink:

My 3 month old sleeps through the night pretty much every night. I can't remember the last time she got me up. Now my 2.5 year old used to have me up 4, 5 or 6 time a night when she was little. I used to go to bed at 9pm and get up at 9am.

Glad to hear Timmy's talking well. I wish Lily, 2.5 year old would talk more.

Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:10 pm
by Eugen
@MattA we get the occasional night with only one awakening. It's all good.

Lily will speak in her own time. My mom said I didn't speak until very late and they were concerned but I turned out ok. My wife said I should employ that early skill sometimes :rofl: and be quiet. Our toddler is ahead of the pack it seems, he's parroting us quite a lot. They're all different.

Thanks for lending a ear guys! :cheers:

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:49 pm
by Eugen
I know a guy who knows a little guy who has this story to tell.

He woke up on the morning of November 17th and, after giving it a few days thought, he asked his wife "should I send it?" She said go for it if you feel it's the right thing. So he sent his letter of resignation to one of his jobs (he was keeping two jobs). It was not bad money, the job was technically interesting, so why would he do that? To understand that, you need a little context. He was invited to this job by one of the researchers he was working with for many years. There is a group of researchers that were relying on him for all their technical needs, and this particular researcher was one of them, world famous. The group of researchers had revolutionized the field a few years ago and the government and many big name companies put money together to create a unique research institute, right downtown Toronto. Thus he was invited to build the compute cluster for them from scratch, which he did: design, purchase, and deploy, from cables to software to identity management, everything. That was in 2017, and he worked there part time until now. Researchers are a funny group, they like doing research, inventing new things, going to conferences, but they don't like being administrators. So the institute hired early on a guy to be in charge. The government also put one of their guys in a key position, since in part the institute is government funded. The guy in charge hired all kind of managers too. The technical team grew to three people, including the part time guy who's our main character. Sadly, pretty much from the beginning the guy at the top started to micromanage everybody. Our main character always saw himself as loyal to the researchers upon whose work the institute was built, so he tried to ignore the micromanaging as much as possible. But it was always an uphill battle. The big guy in charge and all the other big guys, all managers, directors, and such titles, seemed much more concerned with creating an image, than with creating content. This bothered our little guy very much, because he cared about the researchers who were doing the real work in the institute, and they're interests didn't seem to be well taken care of by the corporatists. Now the institute seemed pretty much "stolen" by people in power with their own agenda, from the people who not only provided the scientific results that made such an institute possible, but they're still doing so. But you see, the corporatists also saw that our little guy is a little bit of a rogue, not loyal to their god of imagery, and they didn't like that. So they systematically made it so that our little guy could have less and less impact on anything. They hired grossly incompetent people in management positions, and sent them to important meetings where key technical things were discussed, about the future of the compute in the institute, in the meanwhile making sure that our little guy who built the entire compute infrastructure was not invited. After three years of that, our little guy had enough and decided to leave.

What does this has to do with our forum, you might wonder. This forum exists because when a large company took over the other site, it seemed that the large company did not care about the people on whose presence and input the site was built in the first place. LIke the corporatists in the story above perhaps, they don't care about the people that matter.

And this is why I put this much work in creating a site, the forum, and so on. Because I don't like seeing corporatists who don't care about their staff, about their clients, about their users, etc. The very people who they should care the most about. You may say I'm an idealist. I'm ok with that. I appreciate the community, people helping other people, and they deserve to have a nice environment where that can be done, and be listened to when they have concerns, feedback, or suggestions. :cheers:

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:45 am
by DavidBarkey
Everyone has to do what is right for them .
In the last 40 years I have been a machinist , run a auto body shop , built race cars , auto mechanic , drive clean repair tech. and my skill beyond that are fairly good . My back force me to take a hard look at my career path . So why do I work on small tractors ? I could have done a number of other jobs that are easier and pay better . I have done my time so to speak and the slower pace suits me fine now . Besides the one thing I have found out, is the people that willing to have repaired and maintain there tractors are a better class of people than the throw away people . Well in my books anyways . And those are the people I wish to deal with these days .

Dave

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:27 am
by Gordy
Unless you are self employed we have all had to deal with that at work. Some brown nosing, backside kisser wessels his way into a position he does NOT deserve.

This summer the job was building 4 miles of railroad bed for multi track siding. Big shots in the RR F---up by not getting the environmental permits, that put us 1 month behind. That sucked as we were in a drought and it was excellent weather for dirt work :headbash: Then there are utilities crossing the job site that need to be lowered. The contractors to do this were chomping at the bit to get in and get it done, BUT again the RR management seemed to ignore all requests. So we had to work around the utilities, that meant digging sloped ditches with dams in them that held water and made the subsoil unusable for building up the low spots in the rail bed :headbash:

Then the micro managing, penny pinching money grubbers suck their noses in and screwed things up SO BAD :cuss: I mean who in their right mind would have you start a job in the middle to the finished grade when you are running scrapers and off road dump trucks (OR's) :35: Just to clarify the scrapers haul 1/2 of what the OR's will, the OR's have a scale built in and the average load was 38-40 tons plus the trucks weight. As you can imagine these do a hell of a job at packing, to the point that they eventually force the water deep in the subsoil to the top and start making huge ruts :headbash: So the finished grade is now low and the ditch walls have been forced out and need to be reworked :cuss: I won't bore you with the rest of the foul ups, but there were many.

So yeah I know what you are talking about.
:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:47 pm
by thebuildist
I just got back from the funeral of one of the most generous and admirable men I know. For whatever reason unbeknownst to me, he took a shine to me a while back, and we've been friends ever since. He was 63 years old and in perfect health so far as we all knew. Cardiac arrest out of left field. They started CPR within seconds, but there was nothing the EMT's or doctors could do to bring him back.

I've never met any of you guys in person, but your character and priorities shine through in your posts. I know you're the kind of guys that don't take life for granted. I don't think I've ever read a single post on here that sounded stingy or mean spirited.

But if you ever slip up for a moment and forget that tomorrow isn't guaranteed for any of us, here's your reminder: Life is short. Do what's important first. Today, while you have the chance, be intentional, show your love for those whom God has put in your life. Give with an open hand. Don't keep score.

Happily, my friend Tim lived an exemplary life in this regard. No regrets on that score. As for me, I'm going to try a little harder.

Bob

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:50 pm
by Eugen
Sorry to hear about your friend Bob. So true what you say and never too often a reminder.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 pm
by Timj
Nicely said Bob. Please accept my condolences for the loss of your friend.
Tim

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:14 pm
by Spike188
Bob, Thank you for your post. Your observations ring true with me and bring back some good memories of friends past. For me "trying a bit harder" means taking time to call or txt acquaintances to let them know they are on my mind. We just never know when that chance will be forever missed.

Spike
image.png

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:11 am
by thebuildist
Thanks everyone for your kind words and condolences. I really appreciate it, and it's one of the reasons I'm glad this site exists.

For that, my thanks to Eugen in particular!

I'm sure I'll be ok, if I can just convince myself that it has actually happened. Because it still seems like it must be some bizarre dream.

But today I'm working on Christmas decorations, to better share the holidays with the wonderful people here in my neck of the woods.

Onward!
PXL_20201227_214238533.MP.jpg

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:18 am
by Eugen
I like the white hat with the pompom Bob! Who's the guy holding you? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

P.S. I like the nut cracker theme! :cheers:

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:44 pm
by thebuildist
Har har har!

😂🤣😂

You better be nice to me or I'll sic George, my little nutcracker friend on you!

Bob

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:48 pm
by Eugen
yes sir! the only nuts I want cracked are those that I can't get off the bolt with a socket! :D

Due to the latest life developments I was unable to do any tractor therapy for a while so I'm missing it a lot right now :|

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:12 am
by DavidBarkey
thebuildist wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:47 pm I just got back from the funeral of one of the most generous and admirable men I know. For whatever reason unbeknownst to me, he took a shine to me a while back, and we've been friends ever since. He was 63 years old and in perfect health so far as we all knew. Cardiac arrest out of left field. They started CPR within seconds, but there was nothing the EMT's or doctors could do to bring him back.

I've never met any of you guys in person, but your character and priorities shine through in your posts. I know you're the kind of guys that don't take life for granted. I don't think I've ever read a single post on here that sounded stingy or mean spirited.

But if you ever slip up for a moment and forget that tomorrow isn't guaranteed for any of us, here's your reminder: Life is short. Do what's important first. Today, while you have the chance, be intentional, show your love for those whom God has put in your life. Give with an open hand. Don't keep score.

Happily, my friend Tim lived an exemplary life in this regard. No regrets on that score. As for me, I'm going to try a little harder.

Bob
Funerals are hard , especially when the death is unexpected . Life and death is about memories , what death take from us is the chance to make more .

Dave

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:15 am
by Harry
Post by thebuildist » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:47 pm

I just got back from the funeral of one of the most generous and admirable men I know. For whatever reason unbeknownst to me, he took a shine to me a while back, and we've been friends ever since. He was 63 years old and in perfect health so far as we all knew. Cardiac arrest out of left field. They started CPR within seconds, but there was nothing the EMT's or doctors could do to bring him back.

Bob

Very wise words from a very wise man! Thanks, Bob, for this timely reminder.

I attended an American Welding Society meeting this past week and heard that a man I highly respected had passed from Covid. He was a local businessman who owned a Welding inspection company and welding school. When I retired from GM as a welder, he hired me to instruct in his welding school and later to inspect for his inspection company. I had heard he had the virus awhile back, but he was a guy who always seemed to be in great shape. It floored me when I got the news and I was sorry I wasn't able to pay my condolences.

Live each day to the fullest and don't take any of them for granted.

Keep the Peace
Harry

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:32 pm
by Jancoe
It is indeed a gift to die old. I hope to live as long as all of you guys here any many more for all of us. I'm a youngin at 37. Earlier this year I lost my best friend to covid also. He was only 50. Condolences to you all who have had your friends pass recently.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:35 pm
by Seabee
Well, I too woke up again this morning! God has been very good to me for years! I was supposed to have died 53 years ago when I was in service, and God blessed me to bring me home. That in itself is a long story I don't feel like telling here. But every day is a blessing to be enjoyed to the fullest.

Jancoe, you are a lot younger than I thought you were. My middle daughter is 37 until February. I turned 72 this past October.

I don't have any plans to leave this world, soon! But what am I going to do with the rest my life in the meantime? My current plans are to finally end my career as a Crop Consultant. I still have a few hundred acres of soil sampling to do for my largest Client, and about 50 acres yet for another. Then my soil sampling machine will be for sale.

I will probably continue my company LFB Solutions into the future for a while, at least until I finish some of my Case/Ingersoll issues. Maybe go on some of these 2-3 week excursions with my wife to visit our 3 daughters. I really don't have any more excuses why I want to be pulling soil test samples in the middle of January, freezing my butt off! I would rather spend that time now with my wife and my GT's.

God bless you all and I am very thankful and blessed!

Bill Moyer

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:58 pm
by Eugen
I woke up this morning and it seemed to be a good day. Went shopping for a small Christmas tree at home depot. When I was about to leave the parking lot I noticed the voltmeter on the little USB charging port that I installed in place of the cigarette lighter shows 12.01 volts! :headbash: :cuss:

Turned off headlights and heat and made it home ok. Looking for an alternator now. :|

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:11 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:58 pm I woke up this morning and it seemed to be a good day. Went shopping for a small Christmas tree at home depot. When I was about to leave the parking lot I noticed the voltmeter on the little USB charging port that I installed in place of the cigarette lighter shows 12.01 volts! :headbash: :cuss:

Turned off headlights and heat and made it home ok. Looking for an alternator now. :|
Well that sucks .
Dave

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:55 pm
by Spike188
À lot of auto manufacturer s have put a clutch in the drive pulley on the alternator. This allows the alternator to spin down when the engine is shut off. Replacing the clutch is cheaper than a new alternator but requires some dedicated tools.

Spike

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:20 pm
by Gordy
Spike188 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:55 pm À lot of auto manufacturer s have put a clutch in the drive pulley on the alternator. This allows the alternator to spin down when the engine is shut off. Replacing the clutch is cheaper than a new alternator but requires some dedicated tools.

Spike
:headbash: OH GREAT just what we needed something else to break. :headbash: Where are those engineers :smash:

Gordy

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:46 pm
by Timj
Eugen wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:58 pm I woke up this morning and it seemed to be a good day. Went shopping for a small Christmas tree at home depot. When I was about to leave the parking lot I noticed the voltmeter on the little USB charging port that I installed in place of the cigarette lighter shows 12.01 volts! :headbash: :cuss:

:cuss: :cuss: merry flipping Christmas :headbash: :headbash: :pullhair: :dizzy: :112: :(( :124:

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:46 pm
by Eugen
Right guys, my Christmas present, a $320 Remy rmanufactures alternator. :congrats:

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:19 pm
by Spike188
The theory for the clutch is it takes stress off of the serpitine belt and tensioner. I replaced a battery first then found out that the clutch was failing. @eugen I bought the battery and the reman alternator.

Spike,

Still learning at the school of hard knocks. (Most days)

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:39 pm
by Eugen
I don't think I have a clutch on the alternator. I do have one on the AC compressor, but I replaced it this summer.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's the compressor 100%. Evidence kind of points to it though. For instance, the drive to the place where I got the replacement tonight is about 25 minutes. The voltage at idle was around 12V. Revving up would bring the voltage up, which is what I did at stop lights :(

https://vimeo.com/654368827

Had to keep lights on but heat was off. Was not sure I'd make it to the store and back but I did.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:05 am
by DavidBarkey
Spike188 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:55 pm À lot of auto manufacturer s have put a clutch in the drive pulley on the alternator. This allows the alternator to spin down when the engine is shut off. Replacing the clutch is cheaper than a new alternator but requires some dedicated tools.

Spike
Yes , but in this case the alt. is computer controlled . Daimler brought that shit to Chrysler and the first year there was about 50 % failure rate . The tools to replace them are more than 2 alt. and you could get them with out the clutch and a simple pulley that always worked .

Dave

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:15 am
by DavidBarkey
Gordy wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:20 pm

Spike
:headbash: OH GREAT just what we needed something else to break. :headbash: Where are those engineers :smash:

Gordy
The last I saw while I was still on the bench , most manufactures got away from the (sprag)clutches and went to strictly computer controlled regulators based on system load. The clutches failure rate was to high and costing to much in warranty . Plus computer control was cheaper to make . Eugen's Ridgeline is computer controlled.

Dave

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:20 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:39 pm I don't think I have a clutch on the alternator. I do have one on the AC compressor, but I replaced it this summer.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's the compressor 100%. Evidence kind of points to it though. For instance, the drive to the place where I got the replacement tonight is about 25 minutes. The voltage at idle was around 12V. Revving up would bring the voltage up, which is what I did at stop lights :(

https://vimeo.com/654368827

Had to keep lights on but heat was off. Was not sure I'd make it to the store and back but I did.
Most likely the the brushes are worn out , but could be the rectifier or the regulator . All of which is replaced with the alt.

Dave

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:50 am
by Eugen
When I replaced the AC compressor clutch, I had to take out the alternator to get working space there. The bearings were definitely dry and, while not loose, they were making noise when rolled. Took out the brushes and cleaned the rotor on which the brushes touch. The brushes still had what I thought to be enough material to go for a while. However, I made a mental note that I should try and find a kit of bearings and brushes to replace the old ones. That was about a year and a half ago, I think. Well, it definitely slipped through the cracks. At least if I had bought an alternator to have on stand by. Rock auto and a local auto parts supplier both have remanufactured alternators which are at least $100 cheaper than the one I got. But now we need the car asap and cannot wait for a week until it gets delivered. It is what it is, sometimes you just bite the bullet, smile, and go forward. :sigh: I don't always win. When I lose, I try to not be a sore loser. :D

Oh, I forgot to mention. The old alternator was very hot to touch when I got back from the store last night. This makes me think that the bearings are most likely the issue. I'll take it apart when I pull it out, we deserve a post mortem analysis. :cheers:

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:50 pm
by Eugen
Back to regular schedule now, I suppose. With the new alternator we get a normal voltage on the rail. Good. :cheers:

F405C00E-01EA-4DF3-A385-F8583D7AFE75.jpeg

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:17 pm
by Eugen
After a few days away we came home to this

4D2B523C-5917-43F8-8FEF-6FB3B838722F.jpeg

:65:

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:36 pm
by Timj
Eugen wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:17 pm After a few days away we came home to this

4D2B523C-5917-43F8-8FEF-6FB3B838722F.jpeg

:65:
Woo hoo :) let's blow some snow. :69:

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:00 am
by Eugen
@Timj I was excited with the prospect of some serious snow blowing for the first time this year. Then got equally deflated when the snow caster was not throwing snow more than a couple of feet away. :47: This snowcaster is giving me grief. So the 644 came to the rescue! :D First time clearing snow with a loader. It wasn't fast but the job got done. :69:

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:35 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:00 am @Timj I was excited with the prospect of some serious snow blowing for the first time this year. Then got equally deflated when the snow caster was not throwing snow more than a couple of feet away. :47: This snowcaster is giving me grief. So the 644 came to the rescue! :D First time clearing snow with a loader. It wasn't fast but the job got done. :69:
Check your auger clearance , and make sure belt and or clutch is not slipping and all is turning at max RPM.

Dave

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:59 am
by Gordy
Eugen wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:00 am @Timj I was excited with the prospect of some serious snow blowing for the first time this year. Then got equally deflated when the snow caster was not throwing snow more than a couple of feet away. :47: This snowcaster is giving me grief. So the 644 came to the rescue! :D First time clearing snow with a loader. It wasn't fast but the job got done. :69:
What model caster do you have? If it is one of the earlier ones that the chain tension is set with the cam action on the ends of the auger, as the chain wears the auger ends up farther out from the back of the caster housing. This lets more snow slip between the two. There are measurements online to check for chain wear so you can replace it before the chain eats the sprockets.

On the other group one of the guys converted his older caster to the newer chain tensioner of the S model and newer models use. These have slotted holes at the small sprocket's top bolt hole and the bearing hole, with a added steel plate on the back of the channel the chain runs in. Then a eye bolt thru the plate connected to the top bolt.

Rubber paddle extensions to close the gap between auger and housing makes a hell of difference in throwing distance. And is fairly quick and easy to do.

Assuming an EZ adjust clutch, have you checked your clutch clearance? It should be .002 to .007, more than that and it may be slipping.

Gordy

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:06 pm
by Gordy
That tensioner mod can be found on this link, post #135. This lets you keep the auger closer to the back of the housing.

https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/threa ... 977/page-7

Gordy

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:21 pm
by Eugen
@Gordy thanks for all this info and sorry for the late reply, it's been a day on the run for me. Last year this snowcaster on the same machine worked decently. This year I put an auger from a soare caster I had, better bearings. And I tightened up the slack in the chain. That, as you said, moved the auger away from the housing. But I think the engine is somewhat slower this year too, must look into that. So, yeah, not ready for snow with this setup. Kind of a pain using the loader for snow clearing but still better than nothing. Next week I'm getting back my little Chinese wonder 2-stage walk behind snowblower. That can throw snow far! Should be set until I get the time to do something about Case snowcaster. :cheers:

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:48 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen , Do you have an optical Tach.? to check engine rpm? If not I have one you can borrow .
As for the auger adjustment . Chain and Idle sprocket can be had at PA. . If the chain is worn to badly it can damage the sprockets .

Dave

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 am
by Gordy
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:48 am Eugen , Do you have an optical Tach.? to check engine rpm? If not I have one you can borrow .
As for the auger adjustment . Chain and Idle sprocket can be had at PA. . If the chain is worn to badly it can damage the sprockets .

Dave
Yep here's what a bad chain can do. Note this sprocket is welded to the auger, so a bit of a PITA to replace.
image.png
This site shows a go-nogo gauge and says , “Chain is defined to be worn out when it has grown by 3% of its original length, it’s at this point that one will have to replace the sprocket, also.” And to keep the chain well lubed for longer life.

https://www.ibtinc.com/how-to-measure-chain-stretch/

Gordy

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:04 am
by Eugen
Oh my sprocket doesn't look anything like that. Dave says I can get new chain at a local shop so I'll just do that, I'm sure it won't hurt :D

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:07 am
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:48 am Eugen , Do you have an optical Tach.? to check engine rpm? If not I have one you can borrow .

Dave
Thanks Dave! I have one of those digital gizmos tachs. The 446 will have to wait for Spring though. I'm trying to get the basket Case :rofl: 444 I got last month into shape for snow duty.

74D5EF0C-6EB8-480F-B804-24E99282B7DF.jpeg

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:21 pm
by Gordy
Woke up to 3" of white stuff. Forecast is for clearskies and good sun so had to get out early and clean the mirrors for the solar hot air heater ;)
SAM_0966.JPG
:42: It was a close call about 35 miles SE in Eagan MN, news reports 18" :O

Gordy

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:54 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:04 am Oh my sprocket doesn't look anything like that. Dave says I can get new chain at a local shop so I'll just do that, I'm sure it won't hurt :D
Take the old one with you or see if anyone knows the link size ( pitch ), sorry I can't remember .
Dave

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:14 pm
by DavidBarkey
On a sad note , as we all woke up this morning . There were a lot of people that did not after horrific amount of tornadoes when through some central US states . As I am writing this the winds are really picking up hear. They are calling for 65km (40mh)winds with 100 km (60mh) gusts and to expect power outages . These numbers can be bad but not near the numbers seen in that area .

Dave

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:22 pm
by Timj
Woke up this morning :109:
KIMG0299.JPG
We had snow then rain then back to snow and wind, ended up with about 6"of what could be best described as slop. The snow caster did not like it at all. :pullhair: But that's ok, we can deal with it. This was quite a line of storms, many people seriously affected, a little slop is nothing.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:55 am
by DavidBarkey
Thing have calmed down now but still no power since 4:00 pm last night . Back up genny is getting a work out but is going to cost us over $100 in fuel.
It is light out so not have to go assess the damage . Had to fix the cover on the chicks run at 10 pm last night with the grandson . It is a good thing he noticed it in the moon light .
Hope every one faired ok last night .

Dave

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:44 am
by Eugen
Oh no! :( do you need anything Dave? I was going to drop by today anyway. :124:

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:49 pm
by DavidBarkey
Well turned out not to bad considering that all of southern Ont. had outages due to the wind . Cost us more in fuel than damage . So that is good . about 3 gal. per 5 hrs. and was out for 19 hours . AT today's fuel prices $100, but no lost food , no burst pipes and got to watch the leafs win on TV. Still cheaper than going to see them in person . Now just have to refill the fuel cans to be ready for the next one . I think it is going to be busy year for hydro crews every where this year .

Dave

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:14 pm
by Harry
It was very windy yesterday with winds gusting up to 60 mph. My wife and I went to my granddaughter's dance recital and were going to have dinner at my daughter's house. When we got back their power was out, so we came to our house which is around the corner and we have the whole house generator. We pulled in and I was just in time to grab some of our Christmas decorations before they blew away. The power was out for a little more than an hour which wasn't too long. It was nice to come home push the electric door opener, have the door go up and come into a warm house when the power was out.
It was an expensive purchase for the whole house generator. Especially when you consider how many tractors, I could purchase with it!

Keep the Peace
Harry

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:21 pm
by Eugen
This post is about yesterday. I was just too exhausted to post last night. The truck had started to leak some power steering fluid a couple weeks ago. Turns out that the high pressure hose coming right out of the pump had cracks. Ordered one from rockauto. The service manual has no info whatsoever on the procedure

42FC45EC-AE4E-4EBA-8095-203E61F3200A.jpeg

so I looked in the ridgeline forum. A few guys over there has done it and shared their experience. It's a bit of a nightmare actually, because the steel and wiggly section of the hose goes through the back of the engine, at the base of the firewall, and there are two clamps (10mm socket bolts) and the fitting going into the steering cylinder that are really hard to reach. People estimate this to be a 4-6 hour job.

Took me about 5. I'm in all kind of pains from lying down in the engine bay and trying reach as far as possible. The crowfoot wrench and the impact with long extension saved my behind as this very sell could have been an unfinished drama. One guy had to call a mobile mechanic because he could not reached far enough and finish. :O

886A4646-0FFA-4CE3-B1EE-590A8C536CDE.jpeg

7D5BD45E-6E4E-41B7-86DE-39F5B78FD30B.jpeg

FCC7756C-C3B9-418D-BD4F-34C9DAC106BA.jpeg

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:41 pm
by Timj
Eugen wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:21 pm This post is about yesterday. I was just too exhausted to post last night. The truck had started to leak some power steering fluid a couple weeks ago. Turns out that the high pressure hose coming right out of the pump had cracks. Ordered one from rockauto. The service manual has no info whatsoever on the procedure

42FC45EC-AE4E-4EBA-8095-203E61F3200A.jpeg

so I looked in the ridgeline forum. A few guys over there has done it and shared their experience. It's a bit of a nightmare actually, because the steel and wiggly section of the hose goes through the back of the engine, at the base of the firewall, and there are two clamps (10mm socket bolts) and the fitting going into the steering cylinder that are really hard to reach. People estimate this to be a 4-6 hour job.

Took me about 5. I'm in all kind of pains from lying down in the engine bay and trying reach as far as possible. The crowfoot wrench and the impact with long extension saved my behind as this very sell could have been an unfinished drama. One guy had to call a mobile mechanic because he could not reached far enough and finish. :O

886A4646-0FFA-4CE3-B1EE-590A8C536CDE.jpeg

7D5BD45E-6E4E-41B7-86DE-39F5B78FD30B.jpeg

FCC7756C-C3B9-418D-BD4F-34C9DAC106BA.jpeg
Oh my, :cuss: you just gotta love that stuff.
You won in the end. :highfive:

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:21 am
by DavidBarkey
Ya those PS lines are not fun with all the tools and a hoist . Glad you got it done . Take it easy for the next few days and let your body heal so you don't pull something bad . It always happened to me the next day , not doing the job . Just one of the ten thousand reason I won't return to a auto shop.

Dave

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:43 am
by Eugen
Dave, did you just predict the future? I was coughing hard this morning on behalf of a piece of pancake that went the wrong way and something went totally snap between my ribs and now I can barely breath :headbash: :rofl: ok, one advil and one tylenol now. I almost never take pain killers, but the pain is crazy now :dizzy:

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:41 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:43 am Dave, did you just predict the future? I was coughing hard this morning on behalf of a piece of pancake that went the wrong way and something went totally snap between my ribs and now I can barely breath :headbash: :rofl: ok, one advil and one tylenol now. I almost never take pain killers, but the pain is crazy now :dizzy:
You pulled a muscle , I have done too , Drink lots of water. for the next couple of days and take it easy .

Dave

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:53 am
by Eugen
About to go get another project 444. Then this

72E21EE1-4E12-44DF-8124-536744898BB0.jpeg

It's -24C :D

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:33 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:53 am About to go get another project 444. Then this

72E21EE1-4E12-44DF-8124-536744898BB0.jpeg

It's -24C :D
Maybe the :whip: :bla: :no: did that so you could not go get another reason the house is not finished . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dave

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:15 am
by propane1
To cold for getting more projects.

Noel

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:38 pm
by Eugen
What can stop me?

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:51 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:38 pmWhat can stop me?
I guess I shoulda said. It’s to cold for me to go get projects. Hehe.

What year is that one. And any attachments with it. ?

Noel

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:55 pm
by Eugen
Must be early model. Came with case blade. Engine seized. Near by, from one of Dave's buddy.

I'll post some more in another thread when I get to have a better look. Was sitting outside stuck in the frozen ground. Might use it as parts donor or restore it, not sure.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:51 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:55 pm Must be early model. Came with case blade. Engine seized. Near by, from one of Dave's buddy.

I'll post some more in another thread when I get to have a better look. Was sitting outside stuck in the frozen ground. Might use it as parts donor or restore it, not sure.
Pull the spark plug and put some trans fluid in it while it sits .

Dave

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:30 pm
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:51 pm
Eugen wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:55 pm Must be early model. Came with case blade. Engine seized. Near by, from one of Dave's buddy.

Pull the spark plug and put some trans fluid in it while it sits .

Dave
Thanks Dave, I have a feeling this engine isn't getting unstuck easily. I suspect Al already tried :42:

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:08 pm
by propane1
Good advice. I use transmission fluid for a lot of things. Run it with engine oil. Put some in the gas tank. Not always, just every once in a while.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:24 am
by Eugen
Be safe out there! We've been all family battling something nasty since Sunday when it hit my mother in law. The little ones next, then my wife and I. High fever, aches, cough, runny nose, the works! :headbash: :cuss: We thought we were extremely careful and have not been seeing people, yet we can't help but think it's that which shall be not named. :cuss: Everyone's feeling a tiny bit better today, still feverish, but we are hoping things keep improving.

Take care y'all! :cheers:

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:43 pm
by MattA
@Eugen hope you guys feel better soon. My wife had her gall bladder removed yesterday. I'm presently taking care of my wife, my almost 3 year old and my 8 month old. I did get my tractor ready for the snow storm over the next 36 hours.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:56 pm
by propane1
Your a busy man. Hopefully wife heals up good. I did that sort of stuff when I was young. Look after kids, work, wife not home. Cook suppers. Clean geese dropped off at the door after it was shot. While looking after kids, cleaning stuff, baking bread and rolls . I’m sure I missed something. It’s amazing what you can do.

Noel

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:35 pm
by Chad
Hey guys, sorry to hear. Hope all are well soon!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:39 pm
by Eugen
Thanks guys!

@MattA oh that's tough! Hope she comes home fast!

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:47 am
by DavidBarkey
@Eugen Hope you guys are feel better soon .

Dave

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:50 am
by DavidBarkey
@MattA Hope your wife mends quick . Hope the storm isn't as bad as they say ,you have enough on your hands .

Dave

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:40 am
by Timj
:48: A year ago yesterday I cut my grass for the first time. :69:

Woke up this morning :barf:
KIMG0378.JPG
:(( :rofl: :violin:
I think I have a good month before mowing

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:56 am
by Eugen
It's coming this way too apparently! :65:

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:33 pm
by propane1
Surprisingly, I noticed today as I went in for grocery’s. That all the lawns and areas are some what green. But will still be 3 to 4 weeks before any will really need grass cutting. Sure is nice to see greenish lawns.

Noel

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:36 pm
by Harry
It started snowing this afternoon. First a few flakes and I told my grandson, this won't last it will melt before it builds up on the grass. Then an hour later it started to snow harder and collecting on the grass. Wrong again! :44: Just when you think it's finally gone for the season and it's in your face. :no: I might be able to mow by Memorial Day! LOL!

Keep the Peace :cop:
Harry

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:42 pm
by propane1
Ya. It can happen here. For sure. May 7/1995. 6” of wet heavy snow fell. And have seen snow on June 2. No accumulation, but snowed. :35:

Noel

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:06 pm
by MattA
Looks like upstate NY could get up to a foot of snow. Not sure where @Harry lives but I hope he still has his blower on the tractor.

44F and rain here tonight. Neighbors have been mowing for the past week. I'll see how the lawn looks this weekend. I may wait another week.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:55 pm
by Spike188
image.png
Afternoon accumulation 60 miles west of Toronto. Temperature hovering around freezing.

Spike

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:59 am
by Harry
MattA wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:06 pm Looks like upstate NY could get up to a foot of snow. Not sure where @Harry lives but I hope he still has his blower on the tractor.

44F and rain here tonight. Neighbors have been mowing for the past week. I'll see how the lawn looks this weekend. I may wait another week.
I live North of Buffalo in Niagara County not to far from Niagara Falls. My caster stays on year round. That 446 is a dedicated snow machine. :clap:

Harry

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:59 am
by Harry
MattA wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:06 pm Looks like upstate NY could get up to a foot of snow. Not sure where @Harry lives but I hope he still has his blower on the tractor.

I live North of Buffalo in Niagara County not to far from Niagara Falls. My caster stays on year round. That 446 is a dedicated snow machine. :clap:

Harry

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:29 pm
by Eugen
Woke up this morning and did not know that I was going to edit my signature here, to remove the Massey Harris 33. It sold at the asking price. It was my first big tractor, and I remember when seeing it the first time I thought "this is soooo big". Yet I got it, and worked on it and fixed it nicely, and loved using it.

Why do we get so sentimental about a piece of iron, I don't know. I have some good memories with it, and the kids loved it as well. We need the money, yes, but I'm sad it's gone. :violin:

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:21 pm
by Spike188
@Eugen it's good to hear that it went for your asking price. I know the feeling one can develope for a piece of iron that has good memories attached. At least you can keep the memories.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:48 pm
by JSinMO
I’m glad you got your price @Eugen. Sorry it had to go. I now what you mean about getting attached to iron. At one time I was ready to sell our Cub. My wife who really doesn’t care about our tractors wouldn’t let me sell it because it was the first one our kids drove by themselves. It seems stuff shows up here and never leaves! Oh well I guess we’ll have one heck of an auction someday!
On the bright side when your in a position to have another one there are plenty out there to choose from!

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:51 am
by propane1
Well nice to get your price you wanted. But sad to see it go I’d say for sure Eugen. We never sell anything. Or very rarely. I did sell one thing years ago. About 10 years I’d say.
Just wondering Eugen, was it one of the tire kickers that came back and bought it, or someone new.

Noel

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:44 am
by Eugen
Yeah, life is like that. If we ever can get a bigger property it'll come with a big tractor for sure. Until then back to my beloved 444 :giggle:

@Propane57 it was none of the low ballers. Someone local just showed up, put it through its paces, listened to all I fixed on it and we had a hand shake deal on the spot. Just the way I like it. :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:02 pm
by Eugen
When I woke up this morning, there’s were eight calls from my sister. My phone had been on silent overnight. It was actually her son. My sister had passed overnight. She was in cancer treatment for about one year.

I’ll be less active here for a while.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:17 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:02 pm When I woke up this morning, there’s were eight calls from my sister. My phone had been on silent overnight. It was actually her son. My sister had passed overnight. She was in cancer treatment for about one year.

Our Condolences my friend.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:55 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:02 pm When I woke up this morning, there’s were eight calls from my sister. My phone had been on silent overnight. It was actually her son. My sister had passed overnight. She was in cancer treatment for about one year.

Jumpins Eugen. That’s nasty. My condolences.

Not that it will help in any way, my wife’s sister was told Dec 14 that she had incurable cancer. No treatments available. They didn’t tell any body until January. It has spread some since then. I don’t know all the details. But plaintive care was to their house on Friday. To set things up. Paper work mostly. Very sad. She’s 62 years old. She’s blonde, so for many years I’ve been teasing her about that. Pretty woman.

Noel

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:15 pm
by JSinMO
I’m very sorry for your loss. I sure wish life wasn’t that way.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:16 pm
by Harry
Sorry for your loss Eugen. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:29 pm
by Timj
@Eugen please accept my sincere and heartfelt condolences. Don't worry about things here, be with your family and take the time you need. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Tim

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:53 pm
by Spike188
@Eugen Merri and I express our condolences to you and your family. I was wondering how your sister was doing after our last phone call. Merri and I are also on a similar journey with a family member.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:05 pm
by myerslawnandgarden
Very sorry Eugen,

Family first, this site will be fine.

Bob

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:28 am
by thebuildist
I'm so sorry to hear that, Eugen.

I'm praying for strength and peace for your family.

Bob

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:28 am
by Eugen
Thanks everyone!

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:09 pm
by Jancoe
May fond memories of your sister bring you comfort during this hard time in your life. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:24 pm
by keith
My condolences Eugene, sorry for your loss.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:24 pm
by MattA
Sorry to hear about your loss Eugen. Your tractor projects can wait until life gets back on track.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:27 pm
by keith
Sorry for the incorrect spelling of your name. I type too fast. Keith

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:33 am
by RoamingGnome
Sorry to read of your loss Eugen, our most sincere condolences to you and your family...

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:23 pm
by Seabee
Don't kick yourself for having the phone turned off. Once she passed it was no longer an emergency. My father-in-law died in September. We were going to go back to the nursing home to be sure everything was set up for his 92nd birthday party the next day. About an hour before we had planned to be there, the nursing home called to say he had passed about 10 minutes earlier. My wife went through this thing where "If we would have been there sooner, we would have been there for him when he passed".

We, none of us can be all things to all people!

All we "can" do, is all we can do! But, all we "can" do is enough!

My mother passed when she was 69 years old. The last 18 months before she died, she had 6 strokes and a heart attack. For her sake, death was the best thing for her at the time. That didn't make it any easier for those of us left, but it did give us the satisfaction knowing that it was that best outcome for her.

May you always, keep the good memories of your sister in your heart!

Bill Moyer

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:21 pm
by DavidBarkey
Seabee wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:23 pm Don't kick yourself for having the phone turned off. Once she passed it was no longer an emergency. My father-in-law died in September. We were going to go back to the nursing home to be sure everything was set up for his 92nd birthday party the next day. About an hour before we had planned to be there, the nursing home called to say he had passed about 10 minutes earlier. My wife went through this thing where "If we would have been there sooner, we would have been there for him when he passed".

We, none of us can be all things to all people!

All we "can" do, is all we can do! But, all we "can" do is enough!

My mother passed when she was 69 years old. The last 18 months before she died, she had 6 strokes and a heart attack. For her sake, death was the best thing for her at the time. That didn't make it any easier for those of us left, but it did give us the satisfaction knowing that it was that best outcome for her.

May you always, keep the good memories of your sister in your heart!

Bill Moyer
Well said Bill, it rings true with my own mother's passing many years ago now.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:07 am
by Eugen
Thanks guys, I appreciate all your support!

On my way home from the funeral I found a toolbox full of tools at the side of the road in rural area. I'm looking for the owner now, who's probably freaking out now having lost $1000 worth of tools. Posted on Facebook and kijiji for the area where I found it.

72B4C637-8D43-45A1-9CC8-6062D5696046.jpeg

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:36 am
by thebuildist
I think those must be mine!!!!

I'm (always) looking for a big top chest full of tools.

Tell me where you found them and then I'll tell you where I lost them!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:45 am
by DavidBarkey
thebuildist wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:36 am I think those must be mine!!!!

I'm (always) looking for a big top chest full of tools.

Tell me where you found them and then I'll tell you where I lost them!

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:08 pm
by Eugen
yes Bob, pretty much that's the kind of messages I get.

Facebook marketplace is funny, they do not allow to post a lost & find. They say it's not an item for sale. So I had to be cryptic on the listing. You cannot use the words lost, found. When it was listed as "free" lots of people just wanted to come get it, so now it is listed for $500 with the following text: "Toolbox full of tools. Could be yours. Identify the toolbox and tools." Now people want to see pictures of the tools, and tell me it's way too expensive. They they are kinda disappointed that it's not for sale really.

Next time I go on that road I will put a hand written sign there too. The reason I did not leave it on the side of the road is that I'm thinking some people could just take it and not try to find the owner. Whereas I will put an effort into finding the owner. A while ago I found a pair of Apple air headphones on the ground. Took me about 8 months to find the owner, but I did and the young man was really happy to get them back.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:26 pm
by JSinMO
Glad you found it. You’re one of the few that would put forth the effort to find the owners. It’s the right thing to do, yet some how I feel funny wishing you luck. I mean who doesn’t want to find a treasure chest! :D

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:36 pm
by Timj
You would have to think someone would be looking pretty hard for it. :106:

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:26 pm
by keith
Eugen, nice to see your an honest person. I've said to the guys on the jobsite, everyone should go home with the same tools that they came with at the end of the day. We supply a lot of our own tools so it hurts when are tools go missing and have to replace them. Eugen "your the best if not then second best". Said that to my niece one day and she fired back "and your the worst if not then second worst". That's what I get for teasing her from a young age. :fight:

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:27 pm
by Eugen
Woke up this morning not expecting I'd visit emergency now. Hit the tip of my thumb with the 3lb mallet hard, it looks pretty bad. Probably crushed the bone. I will never use a hammer or mallet and hold the item with the left hand. Now I'm waiting.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:36 pm
by Spike188
Oh, oh, oh @Eugen you make all the nerves in my body sream. Take few days off and rest.
image.png
Will we be twins? That is my left hand thumb 22 years later.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:55 pm
by Eugen
Mine doesn't look very bad, but it's quite deformed, nail out of the socket on a side, and skin burst on a side. Hoping for a miracle that the bone isn't crushed, but...

DF9B27ED-2AAA-4A2C-B31C-2DF9EFBAC847.jpeg

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:11 pm
by RoamingGnome
Ooooh... Ouch! 🤕 Hope you are feeling better soon...

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:14 pm
by JSinMO
OUCH! :cuss: I can feel that all the way down here in Missouri. I swear I just got a shot of pain in every old scar in my hands. I’m really sorry @Eugen i know it hurts like hell. Let’s hope its just really bad swelling and no bone damage. Try to take iteasy, I’m sure it will need some time to heal.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:29 pm
by Timj
:(( Oh man, :O ouch :afraid: Hope it doesn't throb too long. :124: Take it easy and get healed up. :highfive:

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:22 pm
by Eugen
The dr is proud of me he said I did a good job of shattering it.

Oh wrll. Hurts good

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:39 am
by propane1
Jumpins that’s not good Eugen. Hope it heals good, and quick.

Noel

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:41 am
by DavidBarkey
OMG @Eugen you did a number on that . Hurt just looking at it . I have hit the wrong nail before , but never that bad . Are they able to fix it ? Hope they were able to give you something for the pain that doesn't leave you loopy . How did you not go into shock after doing that ?

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:26 am
by RoamingGnome
Eugen wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:22 pm The dr is proud of me he said I did a good job of shattering it.
Oh wrll. Hurts good
Oh dude! I'm aching just looking at the x-rays... Hope they gave you something stronger than plain Tylenol for the pain - that's gotta throb... :(
Rest up and hope you feel better soon...

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:58 am
by Harry
That looks painful Eugen! :109: Godspeed your recovery! :please: :peace: Harry

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:12 am
by Gordy
Eugen wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:22 pm The dr is proud of me he said I did a good job of shattering it.

Oh wrll. Hurts good
I took a finger off at a 45 degree angle. Doc said it's bad to loose a finger, but it is neat the way you did it. After he trimmed and cleaned up the bone there was a triangle of live skin to just fold over the bone and stitch up. Ended up with very little scar tissue, unlike the finger next to it that lost the corner of the tip, They used salvaged skin to cover that, which fell off and builds up very thick scar tissue even now after 32 years.

Gordy

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:08 am
by Eugen
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:41 am OMG @Eugen you did a number on that . Hurt just looking at it . I have hit the wrong nail before , but never that bad . Are they able to fix it ? Hope they were able to give you something for the pain that doesn't leave you loopy . How did you not go into shock after doing that ?
Luckily there was snow around so I stuck the thumb in it and it froze the pain enough to gather the tools and close the shed. There were times I had to sit down as my legs got rubbery from the pain. The dr said another xray in a week and see what can be done. Antibiotics and pain killers for now. He offered morphine I said no thanks

Thank you all for the well wishes! I'm done whining now, back to regular programming :D :j

However, I'm going to take a back seat and enjoy your wrenching story for a little while :highfive: :violin: :cheers:

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:16 am
by Jancoe
Dang Eugen, Ouch my bones are aching looking at these pics. At no time is freedom of speech more precious than when a man hits his thumb with a hammer." Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:49 pm
by DavidBarkey
@Eugen When you do that kind of damage , It's not :violin: .

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:24 pm
by THEOTHERHALF
so sorry this happened, wishing a speedy recovery, that will be a pain in the butt for a while. Kyle

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:28 pm
by MattA
Hope you feel better Eugen. Spend some time with those boys of yours :thumbsup:

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:31 pm
by MattA
Kind of off topic but @DavidBarkey how are you doing? Still recovering from your head injury or doing much better?

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:56 pm
by DavidBarkey
MattA wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:31 pm Kind of off topic but @DavidBarkey how are you doing? Still recovering from your head injury or doing much better?
Thanks Matt , Both , Doing better , but recovery will take years I am told . Something will never be the same . Thanks goodness for texting as it allows me to put sentences together when I have difficulty speaking . Mouth goes on tilt when tired witch happens frequently . I have resign myself to never working full time again . I can only work for a few hours at a time ,then I have to rest before doing more as I loose focus mentally and visually . So I have had to limit my driving to 45 min. one way so I know I am safe to drive home or I have to have a co-pilot . I do get frustrated allot about it but try not to :violin: too much and just live the retired life and hope for the best .

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:45 pm
by MattA
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:56 pm
MattA wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:31 pm Kind of off topic but @DavidBarkey how are you doing? Still recovering from your head injury or doing much better?
Thanks Matt , Both , Doing better , but recovery will take years I am told . Something will never be the same . Thanks goodness for texting as it allows me to put sentences together when I have difficulty speaking . Mouth goes on tilt when tired witch happens frequently . I have resign myself to never working full time again . I can only work for a few hours at a time ,then I have to rest before doing more as I loose focus mentally and visually . So I have had to limit my driving to 45 min. one way so I know I am safe to drive home or I have to have a co-pilot . I do get frustrated allot about it but try not to :violin: too much and just live the retired life and hope for the best .
Good to hear your doing a little better. Hopefully you continue to get better :cheers: