Just a thought about this place.

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Just a thought about this place.

Post by JSinMO »

I know as @MattA pointed out the other day things have been a little slow here lately but it’s still a great site to be part of.

I was looking through the posts on another site and was just really disappointed in what I saw. A new member there asked a question looking for help and it devolved into an argument that got a bit ugly between long time members as well as the new user that went on for two pages. Really sad to see.

Reading that really made me appreciate our little corner of the world here. Every once in awhile I think it’s a good idea just to let everyone know how much they are appreciated for there input and work that makes this place rather special

So hats off to all of you. I hope this place will alway remain the nice place to come in and hang out that it has always been!
Eugen Canada

Re: Just a thought about this place.

Post by Eugen »

I haven't been going to other places as I used to when I had more time but I'm glad we're staying true to our mission still. :highfive:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I also hardly go to the other pages , just participating in a few facebook groups is all . Their are so "purist " and know it all's out there that ruin it for everyone else . I beleave that is part of the reason there has been a decline in new people getting involved . If people on the other sites went by the motto " if you havn't got anything nice or constructive to say , don't say anything at all ." The world has become a place where there is little or no accountability for a persons comment or actions.
Just my 2 cents , you may keep the change .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I like this site best. Down to earth men sharing their hobbies and interests without negative feedback. As you know the other CCI site they made me an administrator of, which I don’t do much for that. I must say it has calmed down a lot from when I first joined. I remember one member when I first joined it told me when I did as many GT builds as him then I could express my opinion on the site. Whoa, I was ready to drop out then and there. It was the only information about Case GT’s I could find so I stayed a member and eventually won them over. When VS took the site over they asked me to join in on a zoom call and got to meet the board and put a name with a face. Almost all of them are not on the site anymore. Recently I did get on FB just for the marketplace because my ads on CL are not getting any responses. Since joining I have joined some of the Case GT sites. The jury is still out yet on them at this time. In conclusion I think this site is terrific and my favorite. Thanks David for starting this post. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Thanks should go to Jeff @JSinMO for starting this thread . All good points
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

My mistake David your correct. Thanks Jeff :thumbsup: :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

Harry wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:45 am I like this site best. Down to earth men sharing their hobbies and interests without negative feedback. As you know the other CCI site they made me an administrator of, which I don’t do much for that. I must say it has calmed down a lot from when I first joined. I remember one member when I first joined it told me when I did as many GT builds as him then I could express my opinion on the site. Whoa, I was ready to drop out then and there. It was the only information about Case GT’s I could find so I stayed a member and eventually won them over. When VS took the site over they asked me to join in on a zoom call and got to meet the board and put a name with a face. Almost all of them are not on the site anymore. Recently I did get on FB just for the marketplace because my ads on CL are not getting any responses. Since joining I have joined some of the Case GT sites. The jury is still out yet on them at this time. In conclusion I think this site is terrific and my favorite. Thanks David for starting this post. :peace: Harry
I got kicked out of the Facebook groups. We were not a good match. They have two types of people and moderators. One is like here, and the old CCI site. The other is a woke, do-it-for-me group that literally does nothing before asking questions. Some of the moderators agreed with me when I told people that a parts manual is easy to google. Others thought I was a &ick for not posting it for them like I was a paid member and had unlimited free time. I have over 600 followers, which weirds me out sometimes. That means, I was told that there is more that that just have not clicked follow. So, those groups that grew by 1,000's were partially me because I was at least a good tech. Maybe I was in a mood when I told the guy who posted a video of him turning the key, and nothing happened; I told him his key must be broken.

It has been a blessing, though. I don't have to tell people how to fix things and not be appreciated anymore. I have way more time to work on my stuff now.

You guys thank me for my posts. But when I ask what you think, I mean it and will not be offended if your opinion differs from mine. Then I worry that I get too preachy when I see that you are using the tractors in a way that may work in that moment, but it will come at a cost because I have fixed that. It is not just an opinion, but who wants to be told they are using their stuff wrong?

I love the puzzles in these tractors. I like to take them apart and see what is mosbotched primarilyner repairs. Those repairs were mostly worn items that were "fixed" using the wrong parts, not OEM parts.
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I obviously can’t speak to the examples you sited since I wasn’t there. I didn’t see the conversation or the context so I will only speak for myself. I’d like things to be black and white a lot more than that are. In reality they are usually some shade of grey. There are times I have to remember that people are all over the spectrum as far as knowledge goes. Take you and I as an example. I have worked on all kinds of equipment, I can confidently turn a wrench, and I have a fairly good understanding of mechanical principles. You have a very nuanced and deep understanding of Case GTs that I don’t have and I may never reach that level. Conversely there are a lot of people, especially now days, that would struggle to take the lug nuts off of a wheel. Add to that the difference in the way people learn. Some like doing the research and reading on their own, some learn better through conversations. Personally I’m a mix. Reading, talking, and I have to get my hands on it. Luckily we have a pretty good library here.
Thinking of all that I have a hard time telling someone just to go read the manual. I have no idea what their background or knowledge level is. Don’t get me wrong today’s culture dives me nuts sometimes too! But remember we are not obligated to respond to a post. At the end of the day I think we all would like to see new people coming into the community. That only happens by being welcoming and willing to share experience and knowledge. And in some cases taking baby steps.

My point to starting this thread was to express my appreciation for the civility that is found here and the, in my opinion, genuine and positive conduct of the members. Those traits are unfortunately becoming much harder to find in today’s world.
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

JSinMO wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 12:21 pm My point to starting this thread was to express my appreciation for the civility that is found here and the, in my opinion, genuine and positive conduct of the members. Those traits are unfortunately becoming much harder to find in today’s world.
:worship: @JSinMO I agree 100% - The civility, and patience with others less knowledgeable has made this my "Go To" site for Case GT info and a virtual garage to hang out in and "shoot the breeze" when I need a break from things around me...

Well done everyone!
:cheers:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

Let me throw a curveball here. There are times that I feel being mechanically inclined is a curse.

Part of my employment was in a manufacturing plant that started with 35 employees. All of us were hands on leaders with great teaching skills. The plant grew to almost 150 and outsourced a lot of jobs. Over time the management structure changed. Leadership was taken over by a few people that lived by the "If it is written, anyone can be trained to follow the procedure." That is categorically wrong, my spouse is living proof. Explaining why a machine has failed or how to correctly feed, or fasten a part is something that has to be intuitive. Some people have that skill and it compares to my inability to spell which drives my spouse bonkers. It drove me nuts when new management would start following the Gilbreth hand book on plant management and miss the potential of using the skills that individuals brought to the organization. The cruelest thing a manager did was pull people off of the assembly line and have them do machine maintenance for 2 weeks during plant shutdown. By the time 2 weeks were over the individual had relearned to think about how to be productive, only to be stuck back in a repetitive environment that required the simplest of tasks.

At about 15 I put new sleeves and pistons in and 1850 Oliver tractor. After splitting the tractor, the flywheel would not come off of come off of the crankshaft. The instructions in the Tractor Manual for clutch and flywheel removal was simply "Removal is obvious." For some people it is not obvious, and that is what drives me crazy. When something takes a special mechanical skill set to repair and the person assigned to the learn the job is clueless and untrainable, I go bonkers and feel cursed.

Just remember to treat others as you want to be treated. That works most of the time.

I just received service call that a robot is knocked out of alignment, at a plant 1 1/2 hours away. Nobody wants to touch it. :wave3: I feel less than cursed now :wav

:headbash: thats my 5 cents worth.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH