Broke mower. Could use your opinion

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: Broke mower. Could use your opinion

Post by JSinMO »

@Toolslinger Yes I think your right. I have seen them set up rigid like mine or I have seen people just use a length of chain as the top link to give that freedom of movement. I will have to give that some thought whenever I get the now PTO shaft. I might have to change the height adjustment for the tail wheel too.
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

I actually just used mine yesterday again... Thought I could used the hydraulic top link to float it, but sadly my hydraulics will not allow for that particular combination...

So glad I fixed it up. The fields got away from me this season, and the flail couldn't handle the volume. The rotary just doesn't seem to care how tall it is. Guards I put on the front made a massive difference. Nothing came out the front that I noticed. I used to dread running that mower on the N between the lack of live hydraulics, and the number of times it pelted me with debris...

Post by JSinMO »

So I decided to take this shaft to an actual welder a few towns over to see what he thought. He took a look and said he could fix it no problem. I asked him to put a sleeve over it to reinforce the repair. He sent me a couple of pictures of the work.
Cleaning it up and sizing a sleeve
Cleaning it up and sizing a sleeve
Welded up
Welded up
Ready for sleeve.
Ready for sleeve.
Back in my shop.
Back in my shop.
He said it welded very nicely with no issues. He told me to run and make sure it was balanced. If it had wobble he knows a shop that can balance it for me.

I’m confident in his ability. I have seen a few cars he has built, they are quite nicely done.
I feel good about the repair and it was much more affordable that a new shaft.
I have a PTO guard on the shelf I’ll fit on it and we’ll see how it does.
I have no idea what caused this issue before I owned it, and who know if this shaft was even on this mower originally. I will be making sure there will be nothing for it to rubb on.
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Weld repair looks great. Nice of him to send pics as the job progressed. :thumbsup: :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

that guy does nice work . I would be happy with that
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by JSinMO »

This may be common knowledge but thought I’d share anyway. I had a PTO shield on the shelf so I fitted it to the this one. I made some rough measurements and trimmed it down to fit this shaft.
IMG_5103.jpeg
These aren’t foolproof, but it’s a lot better than no shield at all. The basic idea is the plastic tubes slide into each other and then the assembly rides on nylon spacers that allow the shield to free spin while the PTO is turning. If, god forbid, you fell into the running PTO the shield would not spin and not draw you in. Two metal lock rings hold it all in place.
IMG_5104.jpeg
With everything cut and fitted back together I took it out and mounted it to the gear box on the mower.
IMG_5108.jpeg
So now hopefully it’s as good as new! As I get time we’ll be trying it out!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Good point , they are there on all modern tractors implements for a reason . It is beyond me why a lot of people don't value them more . They are not that expencive .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by JSinMO »

Getting the brush hog on the tractor and doing some mowing is on today’s agenda. I spent some time in the shop doing a hopefully better job of setting it up.

I want to cut at about 3” so I decided to set the mower on 2x4s set on edge at the front and 6x6 blocks at the back to give me the angle I want.
IMG_5184.jpeg
Then I set the tail wheel to that height and set the chains on the lift arms to stop at that position.
IMG_5185.jpeg
IMG_5186.jpeg
Next I followed what @Toolslinger was saying about the top link. I used a length of chain to allow the mover to move with the ground conditions but still allow me to lift it.
IMG_5187.jpeg
Now I have clearance around the PTO when the mower is down or in the fully raised position! My measurements for the shield were a little off but a little trimming and now it fits fine.
IMG_5189.jpeg
IMG_5188.jpeg
Time to check fluids in the tractor and hit the field!
I mowed between 2 and 3 hours this afternoon and everything worked great! The mower did a good job with those blades I put on back in the winter and the 2N ran just fine!
IMG_5190.jpeg
IMG_5191.jpeg
IMG_5193.jpeg
IMG_5192.jpeg
I think we can mark this down in the win column!
Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I like the chains idea . It amazes me how well some of that old iron still works decades later .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder