Unsolicited advice

Shoot the breeze here.
thebuildist United States of America

Unsolicited advice

Post by thebuildist »

I'm about to give you some unsolicited advice. I know you didn't ask for it, and you think you don't want it, but hear me out.

Because I'm a really clever guy.

I'm so clever that I built my own loader complete with forks and a lifting boom and a rollover protection bar.
image.png
So clever that I welded and built my own play fort from pallet rack teardrop beams, complete with a 3 swings for the grandkids.
image.png
So you can take it from me: If you find yourself mowing around this swingset, using this loader mower, and you think it's might be a good idea to mow straight through here:
image.png
DON'T DO IT. It's a trap. The swing is evil, and it intends to grab onto your ROPS as you go through, and the next thing you'll know, your ROPS' head protection will be put to the test.
image.png
That's my advice: Don't drive your ROPS equipped machine through and under a swingset bar.

Clever, huh?

:headbash: :headbash: :headbash:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
thebuildist United States of America

Re: Unsolicited advice

Post by thebuildist »

But if you DO drive through there, here's how to proceed:
image.png
1. Remove the bolts connecting the swingset crossmember and pull it back out of the way.
image.png
2. Drive the tractor out from the pile and install the forks. You're about to need them.
3. Back up your new-to-you Toyota pickup, and get your winch out from under the rear seat.
image.png
4. Hook the winch into your Tundra's rear hitch receiver,
a. and hook the winch line onto the nearest swingfort platform frame member.
b. Grab your wireless winch controller
c. And drive the tractor around where you can get one fork tine underneath the swingfort frame
image.png
5. Gingerly lift up on the frame with the fork, while gingerly pushing the feed in" button on the wireless winch controller.
If you just apply winch while the swingfort is laying completely on its side, it will just slide across the yard toward the truck.
6. Once you have the frame tilted up 3 or 4 feet high, and a taut winch line, then the winch can take over the tilting, and you can hop off the tractor.
7. Go around to the other side near the winch line so you can see what's happening. Winch in just to the point that you can see the fort teetering for balance. Then get under the fort's crossmember, ready to "catch" it. Give it a tug toward you past its tipping point, and do your best to give it a controlled landing back on all fours.
8. You don't stand a chance of it being SUPER gentle. But you can and should prevent it from tumbling forward onto its other side.
8a: And onto your shiny truck. DON'T let it fall on your shiny truck. :cuss:
image.png
9. Lastly, use your pallet forks to lift up one side of the swingfort platform at a time, so you can manhandle it back onto its concrete pads.
image.png
You may now resume mowing. :hitsfan: :hitsfan: :hitsfan: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Well this is why we can’t have nice things! :33: :D

Seriously though im thankful no one got hurt. At least since you were the builder, you could reassemble it with out much trouble.
I do appreciate the advice, but unfortunately it’s a little late for me. I’ve already gotten myself tangled up in swing sets a couple times! Luckily for me though I’ve never turned one over!
Here’s a picture of the air cleaner cap on my Cub. It was in perfect shape and on the tractor for 77 years until I tangle with a swing set! It came off and I ran it over :cuss:
IMG_4931.jpeg
So on some level I feel your pain! :rofl:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I hope no one was hurt Bob. Maybe some of your pride I guess. If it happened to me I probably wouldn’t tell a soul :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

That was a good incident report Bob - Health and Safety would be impressed :spin:
Glad no one was hurt, and kudos to you for building one heck of a sturdy play fort that could survive a tumble like that :109:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Oh no Bob , Glad you were able to fix it all up and not to much damage or injuries. Even the the smartest among us have those "what was I thinking moments in life " I know I sure have learned a lot of thing "The Hard Way" .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

:109: oh man :(( :cuss: happens just when things are going smoothly and you think you can get done and take a break. :112: hopefully the grandchildren don't beat you up too bad :bla:
:creeper: deck's on, blades sharp, let's go it's time to mow :48: :446cart: