I got hurt. (Sorry if this is a little graphic)

Shoot the breeze here.
JSinMO United States of America

I got hurt. (Sorry if this is a little graphic)

Post by JSinMO »

I’m still not sure how this could happen and I thought one of you guys might have some insight.

So the 2N lost spark AGAIN! I pulled it into the shop with the 446 and was trying to figure out what the heck could be happening. I had the switch on and was checking voltage to the coil with my meter and the engine started cranking on its own! My hand was at the front of the engine and the alternator grabbed my thump and ripped it open.
IMG_4515.jpeg
I was at the front of the tractor, the starter button, solenoid, and wire to the starter all at the opposite end.
How in the world could this happen? There’s no way voltage should be going to the starter.
I got to spend the evening at the hospital getting sowed back together.
IMG_3870.jpeg
IMG_3875.jpeg
So now I’m working one handed with a bag over the wound and a thumb that useless for awhile.
This is confounding to me. The only thing I can come up with is there is a path to ground either in the starter button or the solenoid. Have you ever heard of something like this? And why did it decide to crank at that moment? In my mind power still has to get through the solenoid.

Anyway I’d like to hear your thoughts. I hate getting hurt but if in someway someone else can see this and it keeps them from having an accident at least that’s something positive.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: I got hurt. (Sorry if this is a little graphic)

Post by DavidBarkey »

JSinMO wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:18 pm I’m still not sure how this could happen and I thought one of you guys might have some insight.

So the 2N lost spark AGAIN! I pulled it into the shop with the 446 and was trying to figure out what the heck could be happening. I had the switch on and was checking voltage to the coil with my meter and the engine started cranking on its own! My hand was at the front of the engine and the alternator grabbed my thump and ripped it open. IMG_4515.jpeg

I was at the front of the tractor, the starter button, solenoid, and wire to the starter all at the opposite end.
How in the world could this happen? There’s no way voltage should be going to the starter.
I got to spend the evening at the hospital getting sowed back together. IMG_3870.jpegIMG_3875.jpeg

So now I’m working one handed with a bag over the wound and a thumb that useless for awhile.
This is confounding to me. The only thing I can come up with is there is a path to ground either in the starter button or the solenoid. Have you ever heard of something like this? And why did it decide to crank at that moment? In my mind power still has to get through the solenoid.

Anyway I’d like to hear your thoughts. I hate getting hurt but if in someway someone else can see this and it keeps them from having an accident at least that’s something positive.
It pains me to say this , but been there done that . I have a scare that goes from the crotch between my finger and thumb back almost to my wrist. left my left hand useless and in a bag for weeks . I won't get into how it happened . As for how it happened to you . You just prove that you have an intermittent short in the system somewhere that back fed power to the starter solenoid . Without being there and doing my own test , I can only guess , but I would start by changing the ignition switch. That to me is the common denominator.
Ps . Hope you heel quickly .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

:109: Ouch! :cuss: Hope you make a speedy recovery and are feeling better soon... :(
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

:109: I won't give you a thumbs up for your post :112: there's nothing good about it other than it wasn't worse. Hope you get healed up and back to work with two hands quickly. :highfive:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

That’s nasty Jeff. I’d be changing the ignition switch, starter button and solenoid, to start with. Then looking at all the wires.

Hopefully it heals quickly.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Ouch! I'm sorry it happened Jeff. :( hope you recover quickly. I must say though, thank God you didn't lose your whole thumb or worse. Our flesh and bones isn't a match to any moving parts on the tractor.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

Jeff, Like others I can relate to having stiches in the same area almost 40 years ago and have a nice centipede scar to prove it.

My thoughts are also the ignition switch or that all of the wires leading to the switch might be bundled or wrapped together for neatness. If wrapped together and wire insulation is deteriorating, then that is the most like cause of the short and false start.

Heal soon.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Getting hurt is never a good situation. All I can say as mention the system shorted out some where. Just goes to say you can never be to careful. Hope you heal soon! :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Thank you for the comments fellas, I appreciate it.
No pun intended, but on one hand I feel pretty stupid about this, on the other hand this shouldn’t have been an issue that could have happened. I felt like i was in that horror movie Christine!

I did wrap my hand in a bag and go have a look. There are only 3 wires I didn’t replace so that’s on the list. This is a simple push button starter switch. I took it off the tractor and it was covered in oil and grime.
IMG_4865.jpeg
I’m not comfortable saying this is the issue but it COULD have been the problem. As stated I’ll have to replace it

I doubt I’ll be getting much wrench turning done for a little bit. Hopefully this won’t take long to heal. I’m thanks again guys!
Chad Canada

Post by Chad »

Ouch Jeff! Hope you heal quickly, you'll have it sorted in time and as always with some great input from our many experts.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk