I got hurt. (Sorry if this is a little graphic)

Shoot the breeze here.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: I got hurt. (Sorry if this is a little graphic)

Post by DavidBarkey »

JSinMO wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:25 pm Thank you for the comments fellas, I appreciate it.
No pun intended, but on one hand I feel pretty stupid about this, on the other hand this shouldn’t have been an issue that could have happened. I felt like i was in that horror movie Christine!

I did wrap my hand in a bag and go have a look. There are only 3 wires I didn’t replace so that’s on the list. This is a simple push button starter switch. I took it off the tractor and it was covered in oil and grime.
IMG_4865.jpeg
I’m not comfortable saying this is the issue but it COULD have been the problem. As stated I’ll have to replace it

I doubt I’ll be getting much wrench turning done for a little bit. Hopefully this won’t take long to heal. I’m thanks again guys!

Where does that red 10 guage wire go to on the back of the starter button ? What side of the switch is on ? Battery or starter .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:48 am
JSinMO wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:25 pm Thank you for the comments fellas, I appreciate it.
No pun intended, but on one hand I feel pretty stupid about this, on the other hand this shouldn’t have been an issue that could have happened. I felt like i was in that horror movie Christine!

I did wrap my hand in a bag and go have a look. There are only 3 wires I didn’t replace so that’s on the list. This is a simple push button starter switch. I took it off the tractor and it was covered in oil and grime.
IMG_4865.jpeg
I’m not comfortable saying this is the issue but it COULD have been the problem. As stated I’ll have to replace it

I doubt I’ll be getting much wrench turning done for a little bit. Hopefully this won’t take long to heal. I’m thanks again guys!

Where does that red 10 guage wire go to on the back of the starter button ? What side of the switch is on ? Battery or starter .
It is on the battery side. It goes to the inline fuse I added then to the switch that sends power to the ignition.
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Been away... Sorry to hear your N bit you. That's some scary crap.

Way back... Prior to my existance... My folks learned the hard way that you don't leave a tractor in gear when you park it... Somehow, a mouse chewed the right wires, in just the right way to cause a short on the start circuit of the 8N. Being awfully reliable, the N started, and ran in to an immovable object in the barn basement. It then started digging. It managed to dig the rears down until the axle bottomed out. We don't know how long it ran, other than it was out of gas when my folks showed up the next weekend. I guess the neutral interlock didn't work on the N back then. I imagine after having to dig it out by hand, they decided to fix that issue, and nothing gets parked in gear since then.

I wish I could say I pull the ground cable every time I work on a machine, but I don't... I should, and this is a great reminder... I guess putting a ground disconnet on every machine would make that easier, and more prone to use... I'll just add that to the list of when I get to it stuff.
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Good to hear from you @Toolslinger !
I’m healing up fairly well. I still don’t have much feeling in the thumb though, doc says it might be 6 to 8 weeks yet.

I can’t imagine how mad your dad was to come back a week later and find the tractor buried up to the axle! I can almost hear what words he was saying as he shoveled it out!

I should have been more careful, but the idea that the tractor would crank was not on my mind. Thank god it didn’t start. This is one situation I won’t soon forget.