Lazy weekend

Post by keith »

Took some pics to share.
DSCF0898.JPG
lighting wires relocation
DSCF0892.JPG
What's left of my wheel bearings
DSCF0896.JPG
New bearings that I'm about to add grease to.
DSCF0904.JPG
Temporary throttle position holder. Just close the hood on it and hook it on the lever.
DSCF0905.JPG
DSCF0907.JPG
I think these are called ice chains. Came with the GT.
DSCF0908.JPG
Brake rotors for some extra weight.
DSCF0906.JPG
First thing I had to change was the ignition switch. Later on while snow blowing the engine just stopped. Thought I ran it out of gas, because when I removed the cap there was just a trace of fuel. This was not the case, the because electric fuel pump stopped. Took me some time to find the wire connector that vibrated right off the switch. New switch, original connector. I crimped it with needle nose plyers so that doesn't happed again.
DSCF0902.JPG
My garage. lol
DSCF0888.JPG
We did get some more snow. :cheers:
RoamingGnome Canada

Re: Lazy weekend

Post by RoamingGnome »

Great photos @keith, a little more snow than Southern Ontario... :))

Looks like you got the maximum life out of those wheel bearings :)

How is the curved roof on your garage for shedding snow? I have an older conventional "peaked" style tent garage, my big grumble is having to go outside and shake the snow off the big flat roof sections anytime there is more than an inch of snow or the tarp starts to stretch and sag.
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Good work @keith ! LIttle by little your tractor is getting ready to be trouble free for many years. I find that to be the case with most of the tractors we buy, very few have been "updated" recently.

@RoamingGnome I had been complaining about the "flatter" style shelterlogic tents for some time now. My first one is like that, though bigger at 20x13 feet. Had it now for about 4 years and every winter I fear is the last year it will be standing. I keep cleaning the snow though, it is necessary. The other two tents I got after learning my lesson are the type that need no cleaning, no matter how much is snows.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
keith Canada

Post by keith »

RoamingGnome wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:44 am
Looks like you got the maximum life out of those wheel bearings :)

How is the curved roof on your garage for shedding snow? I have an older conventional "peaked" style tent garage, my big grumble is having to go outside and shake the snow off the big flat roof sections anytime there is more than an inch of snow or the tarp starts to stretch and sag.

The bearings were pressed together flange bearings, was a really temporary fix I did in December. Learned my lesson on those ones, new ones are machined and fit like factory ones.
The shelter logic was reduced from 12x20 ,and relocated so my wife could use the clothes line. When it looks heavy with snow I still need to go inside and use a push broom pushing upwards to vibrate the snow off. Used a roof rake gently before but not advisable I :cheers:
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Eugen wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:06 am Good work @keith ! LIttle by little your tractor is getting ready to be trouble free for many years. I find that to be the case with most of the tractors we buy, very few have been "updated" recently.

It feels like I'm going to replace everything, as soon as something gets repaired something else needs attention lol. The hydraulic hoses are now leaking but I think they are original. I really wanted to put new ones on when the engine was out but already spent the budget. When I first fired up the engine I couldn't believe how awesome it sounded and was calling it the beast. Now I sometimes call her the money pit. :rofl: Seriously though it's been a fun project and I've learned a lot from you guys, the tec library, google and youtube searches. :cheers:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@keith You did a better job wiring your headlights than I did! We’ll see how long mine last! I have that same style of tire chain on mine they work well. I like the brake rotor idea! How much weight do you think it added?
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

keith wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:29 am Took some pics to share.DSCF0898.JPG lighting wires relocation DSCF0892.JPG What's left of my wheel bearingsDSCF0896.JPG New bearings that I'm about to add grease to.DSCF0904.JPG Temporary throttle position holder. Just close the hood on it and hook it on the lever.DSCF0905.JPGDSCF0907.JPG I think these are called ice chains. Came with the GT.DSCF0908.JPG Brake rotors for some extra weight.DSCF0906.JPG First thing I had to change was the ignition switch. Later on while snow blowing the engine just stopped. Thought I ran it out of gas, because when I removed the cap there was just a trace of fuel. This was not the case, the because electric fuel pump stopped. Took me some time to find the wire connector that vibrated right off the switch. New switch, original connector. I crimped it with needle nose plyers so that doesn't happed again. DSCF0902.JPG My garage. lolDSCF0888.JPG We did get some more snow. :cheers:
Keith, if you deflate the rear tires then tighten the chains up then reinflate you should be able to get rud of tge bungee cords. 👍✌️Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
keith Canada

Post by keith »

JSinMO wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:13 pm @keith You did a better job wiring your headlights than I did! We’ll see how long mine last! I have that same style of tire chain on mine they work well. I like the brake rotor idea! How much weight do you think it added?
I really don't know how much weight but I wouldn't want to pick them all up at once. They are off a ford ranger 4x4 that fit nicely, then gradually larger ones. Used a mini grinder and cut off the hat shaped surface so I could stack more of them, then ran out of rotors so I made a mold and placed 4 square pcs. of tubing so the pressure of tightening the bolts wouldn't crack the concrete cast .The outer rotor is from an f150. Auto wreckers are down to one here and were so rusted on I didn't even attempt to remove any. Garages and Dealers wont give or sell them used they say for liability reasons. I'll keep an eye out on facebook.
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Harry wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:19 pm/quote]

Keith, if you deflate the rear tires then tighten the chains up then reinflate you should be able to get rud of tge bungee cords. 👍✌️Harry
Thanks Harry that's a great idea! :cheers: