Living in dread of the dredge...

Shoot the breeze here.
Toolslinger United States of America

Re: Living in dread of the dredge...

Post by Toolslinger »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:02 am Such a beautiful place . Based on your description I assume you are at the bottom of the Niagara Escarpment Range . Natural water flows like that are e thing of wounders.
I had to look up the Niagara Escarpment...

At any rate, no, I'm well south of that area, down in Pennsylvania. I'm on the north face of the Blue Mountain, which is basically the south east ridge of the Appalachians, in PA at any rate. The Appalachian Trail runs along the top. While I haven't walked up to it from my place (one property between me and the trail) it isn't too far.

--------------------------------------------------------

I just was curious... So I figured out just how many backhoe buckets it would take to demuck the upper with a 646...
Using the 16" that most of us have, it would be 36,360 heaping buckets...

If you could run a scoop, and dump cycle every 30 seconds, it would take 303 hours, or almost 38 days working 8 hours non-stop each day. I love seat time, but that might be a bit monotonous...

:j

I could switch to the 20" I have that I've never used... (probably tip right over swinging it to the dump cart full of wet muck)
That would save a lot of time... A measly 25,680 heaping buckets.

I expect the pond company will be using somewhat larger equipment...
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Great set of photos, really nice to see your property and mill... I'm sure before and after photos will be quite impressive. :)

That would be a lot of seat time clearing it with your 646 :dizzy: Definitely a job for bigger equipment, unless you were fully retired, and didn't have anything important to do for an entire summer... :))
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)

Post by Toolslinger »

I actually bought my little crane to do this... Then I came to my senses. That's got a 1/2 yard clam, but that's still an awful lot of digging, plus I'd need a dump truck to haul it elsewhere on the property.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Toolslinger wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:30 pm I actually bought my little crane to do this... Then I came to my senses. That's got a 1/2 yard clam, but that's still an awful lot of digging, plus I'd need a dump truck to haul it elsewhere on the property.
Do you have a kid old enough to drive a dump truck ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by Toolslinger »

Nope. No kids for me. I do have a wonderful woman in my life that would be thrilled to run either the crane, or the dump on such a project. She has a ton of seat time on the 646 from when we regraded the yard at her first house... Took about 20 yards to get that thing in shape to drain properly.

I suspect she will be drafted to help once the pond guys have a couple mountains of muck piled up, and basically dry. It'll have to get spread over the fields, either in thin layers over time, or I'll have to plow, and then be able to mix it in. (why did I sell the disc at the auction) There's probably 16 acres of open field to work with, but it's almost all sloped, so I need to be careful about runoff if I break open the turf.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Imagine we all lived near by. That'd get done quick and it'd be lots of fun! Oh well.. hehe!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Eugen wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:49 pm Imagine we all lived near by. That'd get done quick and it'd be lots of fun! Oh well.. hehe!
Sounds like fun. Sort of like plow days...
Ingersoll 4016
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

MattA wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:38 pm
Eugen wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:49 pm Imagine we all lived near by. That'd get done quick and it'd be lots of fun! Oh well.. hehe!
Sounds like fun. Sort of like plow days...
I does sound like fun, although he might wind up with a pond that’s much deeper that he had anticipated! :D