Case tractor question.

Shoot the breeze here.
propane1 Canada

Case tractor question.

Post by propane1 »

What was the most popular or most heard of or most written about Case garden tractor.
I believe in the John Deere garden tractor world it was the 318.

Noel
Harry United States of America

Re: Case tractor question.

Post by Harry »

That’s a good question Noel. I have no idea. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Being relatively a newbie, I have not "knowledge" to offer, just an observation:

Deere's product line has HUGE variations from its early 8 or 10hp basic machines, up into its heyday with the full-featured 318, and then into its dramatic decline, where most people now thinking of Deere as being, "the fancier models at Home Depot." Which you and I know are just disposable MTD sheet metal.

Case/Ingersoll, on the other hand, was very, very consistent through the decades. A 195 from the sixties actually has quite a bit in common with a 4020 from the 2000's. A lot of refinements and improvements along the way, but still fundamentally the same core design.

So with Deere you might say, "the 318 was the pinnacle, the closest Deere ever got to being just right". That after that pinnacle, Deere never recaptured the "magic".

But with Case/Ingersoll you can only say, "They were improved through the years (like the stretched frame, larger available engines, and offerings like power steering), but they were pretty darned good to begin with." That in terms of cabability to do the job of a lawn tractor, an old 1969 Case holds its own very well against a 2001 4020.

For what it's worth.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I don't know what is the most popular CCI GT . But in my limited experience the "446" seams to be the most talked about . I think in has to do with the sear volume of 446's built over the years as a posed to other models . Our resident dealers would have better knowledge on that than I .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:30 pm I don't know what is the most popular CCI GT . But in my limited experience the "446" seams to be the most talked about . I think in has to do with the sear volume of 446's built over the years as a posed to other models . Our resident dealers would have better knowledge on that than I .
Yes Dave,

I would sure agree that there were more 446 tractors sold (and still working) than any other model out there. Over a 15-ish year period they built quite a few.

Bob
FUTZ Canada

Post by FUTZ »

A little off topic, but I don't think a new tread is required.

Bob, correct me if I'm wrong, but the motors for 200 and 400 series have been obsolete for some time. Did Ingersol find new motors for the 4000 series? Did they go back to the separate spline shaft in transaxle with external motor coupled?
myerslawnandgarden United States of America

Post by myerslawnandgarden »

FUTZ wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:29 am A little off topic, but I don't think a new tread is required.

Bob, correct me if I'm wrong, but the motors for 200 and 400 series have been obsolete for some time. Did Ingersol find new motors for the 4000 series? Did they go back to the separate spline shaft in transaxle with external motor coupled?
The EPA here in the States drove the stake into the heart of the L head engines used on the 200/400 series tractors back in the '90s. Replacement short blocks were sold for a few years, now rebuilding the original engine (or a good used core) are the only options other than repowering with a modern OHV engine. 3000/4000 series tractors all ended up with Briggs Vanguards until the end of production, although Honda and the Kohler Command saw some use in the loader tractors.

The hydraulic motors were relatively unchanged up until the end.

Bob
CaseIngersollNE United States of America

Post by CaseIngersollNE »

So Im not sure if you are looking for models based on sales and production , or fan favorites or a hybrid lol. If a a 3 digit I would say 446 is pretty handy the most popular, 448 is very loved but made for about half the years the 446 was. As far as 4 digit 4020 4020PS I would say is on top of manys most wanted list to own or a favorite of those that have owned many different models and were a very popular machine. Loaders I would say 648 for 600 series and 7020 is on many wish lists but as far as popular there are many very very happy 6018 owners out there. Before the small wheel guys get upset lol The Big wheels were the iconic Case Ingersoll and what set them apart or drew attention to them. Small wheels are great but if you polled 100 people non CI owners and CI owners if you asked what tractor came to mind first Visually with Case Ingersoll I would bet 90 percent would say a big wheel model.
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Thanks for all the reply's. My thought was the Case 446. I’ve only had Case tractors for 2 and 3 years. But having been around garden tractors for 20 years it seemed like the 446 was to most mentioned in pictures or reading material. So thanks. I was just wondering if it was the case, that it seems to be the one most mentioned.

Noel
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Did the 18HP Onan simply not exist as long as the 16HP Onan?

Would be nice if the Kohler Command fit in the 3000/4000 series tractors.
Ingersoll 4016