Snow, @$)($@“&!?;

Shoot the breeze here.
propane1 Canada

Re: Snow, @$)($@“&!?;

Post by propane1 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:11 pm We got more today :cuss: . As much as I did not want to . I had to fire up the machines , That is when the Blower would finally start . :cuss: Got to look into that . And put the bucket on Frankie as I still had the forks on . By the time I got the 446 blower tractor going the snow had got real packy and did more pushing snow than blowing . Didn't clog the chute , just packed up in front of it rather than going into the caster . Anyone have any tips for when it does this ??
That happens to my throwers too. Only thing I can think of is, after the first pass, then only take 1/2 bites of snow. That might help. I really have never figured out a good way to fix that trouble.

Noel
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

propane1 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:07 am
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:11 pm We got more today :cuss: . As much as I did not want to . I had to fire up the machines , That is when the Blower would finally start . :cuss: Got to look into that . And put the bucket on Frankie as I still had the forks on . By the time I got the 446 blower tractor going the snow had got real packy and did more pushing snow than blowing . Didn't clog the chute , just packed up in front of it rather than going into the caster . Anyone have any tips for when it does this ??
That happens to my throwers too. Only thing I can think of is, after the first pass, then only take 1/2 bites of snow. That might help. I really have never figured out a good way to fix that trouble.

Noel
I've had similar happen with my snowcaster with wet snow. My tractor struggled to push the snowcaster through the snowbank at the bottom of my driveway. My Berco's got teeth on the auger which chew through snowbanks.
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

MattA wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:13 pm

Noel
I've had similar happen with my snowcaster with wet snow. My tractor struggled to push the snowcaster through the snowbank at the bottom of my driveway. My Berco's got teeth on the auger which chew through snowbanks.
Did you speed up the auger by changing the drive spocket like I did ? I am wondering if the speed of the auger has something to do with it . 2 stage blowers , the auger turns slow and the fan turn fast . :106: :hm:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by MattA »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:47 am

Noel
Did you speed up the auger by changing the drive spocket like I did ? I am wondering if the speed of the auger has something to do with it . 2 stage blowers , the auger turns slow and the fan turn fast . :106: :hm:
I have not made changes to my SB48's drive. My SB48 was built in 2001 and I think it's already got the sprocket upgrade. I could count the number of sprocket teeth and measure the pulley diameter if you want.
Ingersoll 4016
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Almost every snow I had the last two winters has been that heavy wet stuff. :pullhair: The pushing along and then gulping in a chunk and plugging the shoot. :cuss: I haven't came up with a good remedy, sometimes a partial cut helps. :106:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

My unmodified snowcaster doesn't really seem to have this problem. 🤷‍♂️
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

MattA wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:41 am

I have not made changes to my SB48's drive. My SB48 was built in 2001 and I think it's already got the sprocket upgrade. I could count the number of sprocket teeth and measure the pulley diameter if you want.
Yes please . Now it has me thinking .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by MattA »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:44 am
MattA wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:41 am

Yes please . Now it has me thinking .
6" pulley, 19 tooth sprocket.
Ingersoll 4016
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I wonder if someone who gets into this situation could try and slow the engine revs way down, which would slow the auger down and see if that helps any. I know the thing won’t throw very far. But just to see if it changes any thing. Dave’s thought about a slower speed auger got me to thinking. Which could be bad. :giggle:

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Oh oh. More thoughts. I knew I should not of started thinking. :109: The best solution, if possible, is to wait till the snow is starting to freeze or be frozen. Not always practical thou.

Another thought is, do commercial snowthrowers do the same thing. May need to look at videos to see.

Noel